Offline johnmcg

• Guppy
  • Applause: +2/-0
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 2006 tracker 175
Permit
« on: April 23, 2018, 08:39:17 AM »
In RI do you need a permit to hold a bass tourney?  I know you have to pull one in CT but not sure about RI.  If you do are there any rules and regulations other than amount of boats?  I ask because I just learned of a tourney being held on Beach pond in May allowing kayaks to fish.  Heaviest bag of 3 wins which means people will be trolling around with stringers of bass all day.  I know in typical kayak tourneys they use a measuring board and take a pic for big fish.  But to keep fish without a livewell?  I am wondering if they pulled a permit and what can be done to keep a bunch of fish from floating at the launch after the tourney.  I remember it happened at Indian Lake last year by some jokers and Beach already stinks so to have more fished killed would be terrible.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
Re: Permit
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 01:17:14 PM »
You need a permit in RI.   Don't know about regulation as far Kayaks go??

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 04:06:56 PM »
From the DEM website.

Permits are required for organized fishing tournaments for state fishing and boating access areas and for the following private access areas; Johnson?s Pond (Flat River Reservoir), Coventry, and Waterman Reservoir, Glocester. Permits are required for six (6) or more persons and / or three (3) or more boats.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline johnmcg

• Guppy
  • Applause: +2/-0
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 2006 tracker 175
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 04:43:55 PM »
Thanks. I am wondering if there is anything pertaining to the use of live wells. The person holding the tourney responded to me that it?s his first tourney and he is trying to ?work out the glitches?. 

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 05:20:14 PM »
Nothing in the rules or regs state the use of live wells is necessary. Which is insane that we have daily creel limits of 5 fish per day... so how do these guys cull? They just throw back dead fish? Not sure how that works, but the regs don't say anything about that. There is a reason that RI isn't exactly known for its freshwater fisheries and that is in part due to the lack of regulation. Its funny how people can get really upset when talking about regulations around fishing, but look at NH. They have catch and release only, and no live bait from May15- June 15. That means essentially no tournaments during the spawn (unless you do MLF or car topper rules) and people aren't pulling fish off beds and driving around with them for hours and releasing them miles away from their bed. People tend to hate the regs, but every couple of years we hear about some tournament locally that resulted in piles of fish being killed here in RI and no rules against it. Meanwhile NH has some of the best fisheries in the area. It sounds like they got it right.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 10:08:06 AM »
@johnmcg  Call Alan Libby at DEM - 789-0281. Talk to him about this.

I was the one who found the dead bass at the ramp at Indian a couple years ago and reported it to DEM. I was there for a guide trip when the tourney was going on. It was disgusting to see how they handled bass, and then to see so many of them dead at the launch afterward.  :'(

DEM actually contacted the club in question and reprimanded them for their poor handling of the fish. I also pushed DEM to limit the number of tourneys on a given lake in a week's time, and they did that too. I'm sure I wasn't the only one pushing that. It was good to see that change made.

As for Kayak tourneys, we need to voice our concerns to DEM and push them to create a rule for C&R only for kayak tourneys. No stringers, etc. Just measure and release.

I need to email Alan Libby this week for other things, so I will mention this to him also.

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 11:26:55 AM »
The clubs really need to be the ones to drive this. Kayak and car topper tournaments are becoming more popular and the rule structure works pretty well since everyone has an HD video camera in their pocket. The rules are sound enough that people with bass boats could easily adopt them. I was excited to hear that the club I am in is actually not going to have a live weigh in for the tournament in late May. They are going to be using car topper/kayak rules for this tournament so fish will be released back to their bed.

Some of these kayak clubs do it right. Theres no need for stringers or laundry basket tip tied to their boats or whatever.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 06:43:30 PM »
I wrote to DEM about this one and they replied today stating that this tourney has been changed to a CPR format. No fish will be held for weighing in at the launch.  :thumbup:

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +70/-0
  • Work to fish. Until I can Fish for work!
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 04 Tracker Avalanche, 115 Mercury
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 02:55:57 PM »
Great Team work here guys! This is what it is all about, protecting our fisheries through education and leading by example.  It also goes to show you that the State will listen too!  :yes: :thumbup:

-Mitz