Author Topic: Since I Moved to NC  (Read 952 times)

Offline Curt - NC

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Since I Moved to NC
« on: February 28, 2022, 08:22:03 PM »
Since I moved to NC, I have learned that the winter here is typically only about 6 weeks or so in length, and it is obviously much milder than winter in RI.

Christmas day was 75 degrees. Then, after January started, we started having more winter-like temperatures. But we never had temperatures  under 20 degrees at night. And the only snow we had was on two different days. Once we got 1/2 inch or less. On another day we had a dusting. We also had one ice storm.

That was it for winter precipitation here.

Even when we were having colder days, we always seemed to have a day or two each week at least into the 50s, and sometimes in the 60s. Every once in a while we would have a 70 degree day.

Now that we're moving into March, the last couple of weeks has been a steady increase in temps. We had two days in the last week or so that were 80.

Today topped out in the high 50s, and now the forecast for the next 10 days in the 60s or higher.

I know it's extremely hot here in the summer, but for me it's a good trade-off to get me out of the miserable temperatures in RI.

And on top of that all, I have actually been able to catch some bass from shore in small neighborhood ponds during the last couple of weeks, even though I haven't yet had time to get the boat on the local lakes here.

I can honestly say that living here will now allow me to fish 12 months per year with no problem at all.
Brutally Honest Fishing Tackle Reviews at TackleTest.com

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
Re: Since I Moved to NC
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 09:54:15 AM »
It was in the teens again last night here and Chapmans ice over again  :P

Bright side is a slight warming trend heading into next week climbing into the 50's.

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 3lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1988 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 04:08:22 PM »
I saw that chapmans had iced over on my way to work. This morning there was a decent amount of skim ice too, but on my way home it was clear.

I need to stop making all these baits so I can actually use them! I had a fire in my shop a few weeks back and that really, really set me back time wise. I am still trying to fix everything up while turning out some baits. Luckily it could have been a lot worse and nothing was really damaged besides a bit of the building. It finally gave me an excuse to lay a new floor down and move some tools around to give me some more room.
I make baits, so when I fish, I am product testing! And when I am not using baits I make, I am researching.

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +70/-0
  • Work to fish. Until I can Fish for work!
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 04 Tracker Avalanche, 115 Mercury
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 08:20:29 PM »
WOW Matt that will add some excitement to a wood shop! :o Glad to hear it wasn't worse!

-Mitz

Offline Curt - NC

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 11:22:18 PM »
I had a fire in my shop a few weeks back and that really, really set me back time wise.

Matt, so glad it wasn't too serious. I hope you get everything sorted out and fixed up soon.
Brutally Honest Fishing Tackle Reviews at TackleTest.com

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 10:32:15 AM »
Thanks Guys! Yeah it totally was at a terrible time. Weather was bad, and peak season for me to get everyone stocked up for the season. AND I said I would split a table at Mohegan Sun for the CT Fishing and Outdoor expo with Mayos hand poured baits at the end of the month. So I am Scrambling these days.

Curt Hopefully you can get the boat out here soon! Those fish should be chewing right now down there!
I make baits, so when I fish, I am product testing! And when I am not using baits I make, I am researching.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 10:47:51 AM »
I'll have to stop by your booth at the Mohegan show  8)

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 06:16:14 PM »
Joe that would be greatly appreciated! I will have some goodies there for sure!!!