Author Topic: New England Fishing Expo: Boxborough mass  (Read 795 times)

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 3lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1988 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
New England Fishing Expo: Boxborough mass
« on: January 29, 2022, 12:56:27 PM »
So, I went to the Fishing expo yesterday in Massachusetts, to help out Bryan Mayos at the Mayo's hand poured baits booth.

I thought long and hard about actually getting my own booth and setting up this weekend with my business, but I am glad I didn't. Well, the big thing is because of the storm we are having today.

Dan Kennedy that runs the show tried hard to get me to buy a booth to get in. Its a wicked cost of entry though. 10x10 booth was $700. I couldn't justify it this year. Between entry, hotel fee, gas, food, having guys help me, and never mind  the cost of the product I need to stock its an expense for a one man operation like mine.

I do however think I could do well there, and may have done well, because of the extreme interest in big swimbaits. But I wouldn't have made a ton of money. I would have probably broken even.

Pizz swimbaits from California, and Bullshad flew in, and guys where waiting since noon on thursday to get a pizz swimbait. Then went back out to camp for today, and sunday to get 2 more.

75% of the people where there for swimbaits. There was a whole room dedicated to them, and multiple dealers sold out. Guys on facebook went and hit the dealers they wanted to and left. Kind of made me mad, because they didnt even go into the main room that I was in with Mayos because of the lack of swimbaits. It is almost not even fair to the other guys painting crankbaits, pouring soft baits, the spinnerbait and buzzbait jig guys etc.

Bryan was disappointed with the lack of interest in his booth for sure. He normally does a lot better. He will be lucky to make a profit from what he says.

I know its a business, but I think it would be a good idea that the booths are priced a bit more competitively. Pizz sold 120 baits yesterday at $250 a bait. So, 30k in sales just on friday. Its all just crazy to me!   
I make baits, so when I fish, I am product testing! And when I am not using baits I make, I am researching.

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +70/-0
  • Work to fish. Until I can Fish for work!
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 04 Tracker Avalanche, 115 Mercury
Re: New England Fishing Expo: Boxborough mass
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 06:44:27 PM »
It is a crazy market for sure! People will spend a ton for the right bait and you have some killer baits. I'm sure they would sell out.

As long as you don't spend 10$ to make 5$.  :nod:

-Mitz

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 11:44:46 AM »
I'd have a hard time shelling out 250 for a swimbait!  Especially with the ponds we fish around here! 

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 04:02:16 PM »
It is a crazy market for sure! People will spend a ton for the right bait and you have some killer baits. I'm sure they would sell out.

As long as you don't spend 10$ to make 5$.  :nod:

-Mitz

Thanks Mitz! I appreciate that. I think my name needs to get a bit bigger in the swimbait world, and then I would have a bit more confidence in getting a booth. Especially selling a single bait for 50-100 bucks a piece. Bryan did have me bring some Spinnerbaits, Bladed Jigs and some blank buzzbaits up to sell at the show and I did make close to 200 bucks. So if that isnt a confidence booster i don't know what is. But that whole paying 10 bucks to make 5 is what I am afraid of for sure. Dont want to be tripping over any dollars to get to a dime!!!

@Joe P My buddy has a couple of my big swimbaits, and he dropped $500 on 2 pizz baits, (One I had to buy because it was a limit of one per person) and 2 other baits for over $100ea. Crazy.
I make baits, so when I fish, I am product testing! And when I am not using baits I make, I am researching.

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +13/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 06:56:52 PM »
@metz12 , never understood the whole swimbait craze, but I just can't bring myself to throw a 3 or 4 oz bait all day for a handful of strikes, let alone spend 100 to 200 on one bait. I will give those guy's credit though for their dedication.The disparity of fishermen is baffling, these guy's shell out big$$ for baits when others won't spend $7 on a spinnerbait but those same guy's buy a pack of senkos that will be gone in two trips. Go figure.
Owner, Toad Hunter Spinnerbaits

Online Curt - NC

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 01:46:54 PM »
The fishing tackle industry is definitely a baffling one if you look at it only on the surface.

If you dig down, though, you can start to see specific trends that work for some guys to make massive money on their baits. Those guys, though, are only a handful of people in a very big sea of those who try to make it  ;)
Brutally Honest Fishing Tackle Reviews at TackleTest.com

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 06:32:23 PM »
Both of you guys are absolutely right! Its very crazy. I just did a show this past weekend for a 100th episode party for a podcast I listen to, Called Jigs and Bigs. They are based in western mass. I did pretty well, and made a connection for my first out of state tackle shop. But again, the big wood baits where my biggest hit. Sold a monster 9" 3pc rat, (to the owner of that tackle shop  ;D ;D ;D) 2 of my 7" 2piece Jitterbug style baits I call a SkitterWake and a 2 piece 7' Creeper/crawler, Along with a couple smaller jitterbug style baits, and some saltwater plugs. My wire baits didn't do all that well. I did sell a few. Including a couple Titanium wire spinnerbaits.

I find a LOT of my customers that want spinnerbaits, bladed jigs etc. fish tournaments. They aren't the guys who just go out and fish on the weekend. A lot of the "fun fishing" guys I get, want the big baits. Which makes sense. Those guys go out for 6hrs and hope to catch 1 monster.