Author Topic: Used trolling motor  (Read 1831 times)

Offline thirsty

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: Biggest LM 6-13 at Congamond lakes Southwick MA
  • My Boat: Tracker Guide V175SC
Used trolling motor
« on: June 30, 2021, 01:31:24 PM »
My current motor which is OE for my Tracker Guide V17, is a MK 55LB 12V. On 10 it can push me good until I hit wind. Having so much exposed boat, the wind can whip me around pretty good.

A co-worker of mine just sold his Ultrexx to upgrade to a Ghost. He has heard of many people doing this, but I don't know where all of their take-off Ultrexxes are going? I have been checking CL and FB marketplace and do not seem to find any.

Any good sources for locating one of these? For the upgrade to make sense I NEED to have spotlock.

Any leads would be welcome, thanks!

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
Re: Used trolling motor
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 09:07:47 AM »
They don't pop up very often, all you can do is keep looking and jump on it fast if you find one.

Even new ones are hard to find in stock!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Used trolling motor
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 04:19:22 PM »
Used trolling motors sell like hotcakes. I recently sold a used Minn Kota Maxxum that I replaced with a new Fortrex.

The Fortrex was listed on FB Marketplace one evening and was claimed that same day, being picked up the next afternoon.

With your boat, you don't necessarily need an Ultrex with Spot Lock. More thrust would help to hold you in place, albeit not as convenient as Spot Lock.

Spot Lock is especially great if you fish water that's deeper than 8-10 feet regularly.

For me, I opted to install Talons on my boat instead, since the vast majority of the fishing I do is in water less than 10 feet deep. That's just my personal preference, though, while others may prefer the Spot Lock option.

For me, because I spend a lot of time in shallow lakes with lots of rocks, I would not want to have a trolling motor trying to hold me in place on a rocky flat with 10+ MPH winds blowing  :nope:

I would much rather have the Talons down, holding me absolutely still, with no chances of it drifting and crashing into those boulders, destroying transducers and/or that very trolling motor that's supposed to hold me in place.
Brutally Honest Fishing Tackle Reviews at TackleTest.com