Author Topic: Full weekend of tourney fishing!  (Read 459 times)

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 3lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1988 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
Full weekend of tourney fishing!
« on: June 28, 2021, 11:50:26 AM »
Well, after a weekend of fishing I came out learning a lot, and having some fun!

Friday into Saturday, I fished my first overnight tourney of the year at Amos Lake with the SRIBA Crew. Managed 3rd and Lunker on a Slooooow night off fishing. 2 chatterbait fish, and one Wakebait fish. Missed a good amount of bites. Amos is tough on me in a tourney, and I was happy to produce a few good bites.

Then, Sunday Bryan Mayo and the Coventry Bass Anglers asked me to fish with them at Watchaug as a guest, on Bryans boat. Another grinder tourney, I finished with 2 fish for 5 and change for 4th place. One more bite and I would have been in the money. Both caught offshore with a spinnerbait I made! Bryan had one fish, but a really nice 3 1/4lb smallie on a jerkbait.
I make baits, so when I fish, I am product testing! And when I am not using baits I make, I am researching.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
Re: Full weekend of tourney fishing!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 01:28:58 PM »
Nice to see a smallie caught!  Been a few years since i got one in there.

Don't feel bad about Amos...that place always humbled me at night :P

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +13/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 07:35:40 PM »
Good work @metz12
Owner, Toad Hunter Spinnerbaits

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 3lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1988 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 09:11:57 PM »
Nice to see a smallie caught!  Been a few years since i got one in there.

Don't feel bad about Amos...that place always humbled me at night :P

Amos is a tough one on me. I am not fantastic there during the day either. I haven't put as much time in there as at night, but in the past I have gone and done well after dark fun fishing, I fish a club tourney and I finish last, or close to it. That is why my plan for Friday was no plan! Just go fish. No practice for me either.

I usually only manage one smallie there a year!  :facepalm: A couple of years back I caught my pb smallie in there which was 3 1/2lb  on the back of @Mitz boat, again in another night tourney. But this was at first light. I went all night without any bites, and Mitz had 2 small keepers right off the rip.

I wish there was something us as anglers could do to make the smallie population better there. You dont catch many at all, but when you do its usually in that 2-3lb range.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 06:03:37 PM by metz12 »
I make baits, so when I fish, I am product testing! And when I am not using baits I make, I am researching.