Author Topic: Maine tour  (Read 625 times)

Offline thirsty

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: Biggest LM 6-13 at Congamond lakes Southwick MA
  • My Boat: Tracker Guide V175SC
Maine tour
« on: June 15, 2021, 12:11:51 PM »
I live in midcoast Maine, Popham Beach area, Phippsburg. About an hour north of Portland.

My buddy is flying up from Atlanta Sunday, and we plan on fishing the whole next week. In the past we have gone up to the Penobscot and drifted down from Howland to Greenbush killing the smallies. The last 2 years though, the water has been ridiculously low, making it hard for a full size boat to pass in some areas, so we plan on skipping that this year and hitting some new haunts.

The plan is to fish Damariscotta Lake Monday, then drive to Cobbsee for the night bite. We have a motel room at Cobbsee M,T,W nights. Plan on fishing Cobbsee Tuesday, then trailering up to the Belgrade lakes for the next couple of days. Perhaps squeeze in Webber pond as well.

I live right next to the Kennebec, so we will finish up Friday and Saturday for stripers.

I have only lived in Maine for 5 years, and although fishing the Penobscot for maybe 10 years, I am not all too familiar with any of the other spots. I have fished Cobbsee a couple of times with my wife, but nothing ever very serious.

Also new to the forum, checking to see if anyone has any experience with these locations, and any specific areas to try.

A friend of mine came back from Champlain a week ago and said they killed em with Ned rigs on large rocks. What I do know of Cobbsee is there are a lot of huge rocks! So that may be our first approach.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Maine tour
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 03:04:29 PM »
@Joe P fishes in Maine annually.

@Eric-Maine lives there. Maybe he can help.

I have fished in Maine also, but way up the coast, around Ellsworth. And that was many years ago.
Brutally Honest Fishing Tackle Reviews at TackleTest.com

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 10:28:22 AM »
Heading up there tomorrow 8)

Been to Weber once, caught a ton of fish but they were on the small side. Great Pond for smallmouths and Messalonskee if you want some pike action. That place is loaded with them!
China Lake is a great largemouth lake!  Cobbo is about the only lake in that area i haven't fished yet. I think the pressure and popularity of it has kept me away, some day though  :)

Offline thirsty

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 10:48:40 AM »
What lake are you headed up to?

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 12:26:32 PM »
What lake are you headed up to?

Moosehead Lake area!

Offline thirsty

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 12:43:42 PM »
Sweet! My wife and I are headed up there the second week of September with another couple. The boat is staying at home tho....

Offline Eric-Maine

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +40/-0
  • I love NorthEast Bass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 12:56:11 PM »
Late to see this. Shallow bite ought to be strong on all lakes mentioned. There is tournament on Cob on Saturday fyi
Highly recomend the food at Lakeside on Cob. They do a great job. Its my new go to lake with my wife or grandchildren. Great takeout and ice cream to break up the day. Enjoy your trips

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +13/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 04:35:36 PM »
You can get Largemouth, Smallmouth and Pike at Messalonskeee. Don't overlook the smaller ponds up there, that depends on what boat you're launching though. @thirsty
Owner, Toad Hunter Spinnerbaits

Offline thirsty

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 03:22:44 PM »
You can get Largemouth, Smallmouth and Pike at Messalonskeee. Don't overlook the smaller ponds up there, that depends on what boat you're launching though. @thirsty
I think we are adding China Lake to the mix. Androscoggin Lake was also in the hunt but, apparently there is a huge Father's day tourney there tomorrow and it will get very heavy activity. 

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 02:08:34 PM »
I think we are adding China Lake to the mix. Androscoggin Lake was also in the hunt but, apparently there is a huge Father's day tourney there tomorrow and it will get very heavy activity. 

@thirsty Let us know how the trip goes!

Offline thirsty

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 05:53:40 PM »
@thirsty Let us know how the trip goes!
Huge quantity, so so on the quality. Many, many 3-3.5#ers that were very long and skinny, will be some nice fish in another month or so.

First day was Damariscotta Lake, we got 14. Nothing too big.

Second day was Cobbosee, we got into about 30. My biggest of the day came in at 3.5. The weather was rough for a lot of that day, pouring rain during the night.

Third day was also Cobbosee, and we got into over 60 fish! Had a dozen before 8am. Fished it hard that day, and went out for the night bite.

Fourth day was China lake for the first half, got into about 15 there. Second half of the day was Webber Pond, and got about another 20 there. 

I was throwing a 5" senko in 194 wacky rigged about 99% of the time. Would switch off to a Ned rig or topwater for a bit, then go back to my senko and kill it! My buddy was throwing a dropshot roboworm about 50% of the time, and a senko the other half. We would both try an occasional crankbait now and again, but everything was caught on plastics.

Saturday we hit the Kennebec for stripers and struck out. Covered a decent amount of water, but I just don't have much experience. Luckily I live just a few minutes from the river, so I should get plenty of practice in!

All in all, a very enjoyable week for both of us!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 04:22:50 PM »
@thirsty Sounds like a great trip overall!

Soft Plastics are tough to beat this time of year just about anywhere  :nod: