Author Topic: 1988 Mercury Classic 50 Trim LIVES AGAIN  (Read 352 times)

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 3lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1988 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
1988 Mercury Classic 50 Trim LIVES AGAIN
« on: April 14, 2021, 09:59:09 AM »
Well that was quite a job. My trim motor is complete, and is working as it should now. There is no information about the job my dad and I did on this trim motor on the internet. So hopefully I can help someone out here in the future.

This motor, http://www.amazon.com/Mercury-1985-1992-35-220-Reversible-Square/dp/B00TPI4G6M/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=14GV7KQNPLSRA&dchild=1&keywords=mercury+trim+motor&qid=1618406442&sprefix=mercury+trim+motor%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExS0NJUTFZMDhIUUpOJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODE2NDUzSDJPNUxPTkJRNDZUJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0MDM5NzQxMFFWMEI4SzdRRVJZJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== would be an exact fit for my outboard, but it is no longer made. They use these pictures to get the sale of a new, mass produced motor that looks like this guy.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/products/tilt-trim-motor-mercury-marine-93-94-95-811628-6279.html

When you take your old motor off of your trim bracket, if it is anything like mine on my 88 bass tracker tx 17, you need to take the side mounting plate, and the bolts that bolt the trim bracket to the transom, unhook the steering cable, and lift the side mount plate up. All while having the actual outboard held up in the air, either by a tree, a hoist, something. I used a buddies chain hoist and then out my house I used a board I screwed to 2 trees and a big ratchet strap.

Anyways, undo the 4 phillips head screws on the top of the electric motor. Then take the mounting plate, which acts as the bottom of the motor. It has 2 allen keys, and then 3 small bolts on the inside. Why 2 are the same, and one is different I have no idea, but they are and cannot remember the sizes off hand. they are both metric and standard. It was the same as the parts outboard I have as well so it has to be factory.

Next, you need to move that piston, that that bottom plate mounts to. It sits in the trim plate with 3 O-rings. it needs to rotate  inside of that cylinder so the screw holes match to the new plate of the motor. I made a steel puller, that I will post pictures of. It came out pretty easy to my surprise.

Next, you will have a hex key that is used as a drive pin. I used the smallest one. Stick it in both holes, and bolt the motor back on.

Next, you need to change the electricals inside the outboard to power the trim plate from the solenoids to the new relays. IF YOU ARE NOT ELECTRICALLY SAVVY, I would not recommend doing this step. Luckily I had the ace in the whole of my dad to help. Him and I ran wires, and hooked everything up, and had a bit of connection issues in the beginning. The connectors on my new motor, where pretty much junk. I had to get a friends advice, and clip and re solder connect the connectors. So now my boat is all set and ready to go. If anyone has any questions, feel free to create an account and shoot me a message, or comment on this thread. I could go way more in depth on this. It was a big job, just flying by the seat of my pants pretty much the entire time learning as I went. If I where to have brought this to a repair shop, I would have had to get a whole new trim bracket, or a whole new outboard if they could not find a bracket that fit my outboard.

I make baits, so when I fish, I am product testing! And when I am not using baits I make, I am researching.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: 1988 Mercury Classic 50 Trim LIVES AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 03:56:56 PM »
Glad you got it up and running again. And just in the nick of time!

Nice work pushing through when it got tough  :thumbup:
Brutally Honest Fishing Tackle Reviews at TackleTest.com