Author Topic: Mercury Classic 50 wont trim up  (Read 896 times)

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 3lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1988 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
Mercury Classic 50 wont trim up
« on: February 28, 2021, 07:08:58 PM »
So, I had an eventful weekend. Friday night I was going to take my boat to my buddies family property to get some much needed work on my 1988 bass tracker with a 1988 mercury classic 50 (45hp). When I put the battery in the bilge to trim the motor up for transport, there was a ominous "Click" and the electric trim would not bring the motor up. I have had some delay issues before when its cold to trim the outboard up, so I figured it just needed a few minutes. That wasn't the case.

There is 2 solenoids on the passengers side of the outboard, and that was my first thought. The upper one, with a blue wire and the lower one with a green wire controls just that. Upper controls trim up, and lower controls trim down. I tried jumping, putting power to all the leads, and took my meter too it. They all have power so I figured it was the actual 12v electric motor that runs the trim. That thing is buried in-between the plate that mounts the outboard, and the transom mount when the outboard is trimmed down.

I tried undoing the Vent on the drivers side of the bracket, that basically plugs the bottom of the trim fluid and come to find out, its a nice old brittle piece of plastic.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/sierra-18-6751-manual-release-valve/?gclid=CjwKCAiAm-2BBhANEiwAe7eyFNRc4y6_C6-P_yXSM6LhiPnZCi1LoI2p0EPQrq9R_LZpg-t-u133uBoCjKoQAvD_BwE

So that broke off promptly when I tried turning it with a big flat head screwdriver. I wanted to get this out, because it allows you to manually raise the outboard if for some reason you cant get it to trim up to tow the boat home. So This afternoon I tried heating a junk screwdriver up, to melt into the plastic, to create a key to get the screw to turn. That didn't work. I was able to get the motor up, very slowly because I was just able to get to the casing of the motor to tap it with a screwdriver to wake it up a bit.

Next up, was to drill the valve out and use an Easy Out broken bolt remover. That Kind of worked, but I seem to think someone was in there before me, and used some sort of Loctite or similar product. I have a picture attached of what the plug looks like. So its got 3 O-rings and a bit of threads on the end.

The hole got so large, it was almost to the edges of the case where the aluminum threads are. So I grabbed a tap, to get that plastic out of the threads. 1/2" 13tpi tap does the trick. I tried the easy out again, and got the 2nd section out. Then the small section was left, all the way in the case. I read online a guy used a screw and a hammer to pull the end out, and after a long time of trying other methods, I tried it. I had a shot getting a lot of threads of the wood screw in there. So I grabbed my Automotive Body work/sheet metal Slide hammer (That I proudly bought at a yardsale for $3, My grandparents where smiling down on me when I got to use that baby) and boom. Got it out. 4hrs of trips into the basement, hammering, twisting, drilling grabbing all the tools.

So, if I where to do this again. Here is what I would do. I would drill the first set of threads until they stop. (If anyone is reading this that is doing this job on their boat, the threads extend 3/8" into the case. Use at least a 3/8 bit, if not a a 32nd bigger. You want to get very close to the aluminum on the case. So drill out a good half inch, then STOP.)

Heat the plastic around the hole and literally peel that plastic out, somehow. If that doesnt work you will need to use the tap to cut the plastic out of the aluminum.

After that is done, everything is just pressed in and held in basically with O rings. I would drill out a hole, and thread in a stout 3 1/2" deck screw and borrow, rent, buy, a slide hammer. That tool would have saved me hours of work if I used it in the beginning. http://www.amazon.com/Dent-Puller-Slide-Hammer-Repair/dp/B0176XYYIM

These little buggers are expensive, and I luckily have a donor parts engine, with one of these plugs in it I was able to remove with ease luckily. I do see they have new stainless ones now, that you can put some Copper Anti seize on that you would be able to keep free.

All in all, if you are reading this, and dont have the same problem as me, CHECK YOURS!! Make sure that vent plug is freed up incase your trim decides to take a dump at the ramp.

Now, its onto figuring out my actual trim motor issues. Sadly, its so jammed in there I think I will need to unbolt the whole outboard and trim bracket off the transom of the boat. Luckily, my buddies grandfathers shop comes with a vehicle lift!!!!
I make baits, so when I fish, I am product testing! And when I am not using baits I make, I am researching.

Offline Curt - NC

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Mercury Classic 50 wont trim up
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 07:30:28 PM »
Wow! That tired me out just reading it!

Gotta love it when something "routine" turns into a nightmare.

Glad you got the outboard trimmed up, even though it took you 4 hours.

And here's to hoping you can sort out the trim motor issues fairly quickly, without having to spend an arm and 3 legs to fix it.  (giggle)

By the way, great job sorting through all of the steps needed to figure this out. And thanks for sharing it with everyone  :thumbup:
Brutally Honest Fishing Tackle Reviews at TackleTest.com

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 05:37:18 PM »
I am surprised you got through it Curt!  ;D

I figured I would go pretty in depth incase there was anyone out there in the world that had the same issues as me. And to warn everyone, to pull that little vent out on their trim plate! That thing is there for a reason. And if its seized in the case, its no good! So pull that vent, load it up with some Dielectric silicone grease before it gets too bad.

I am hoping I can squeak behind the trim motor and take it off without pulling the whole motor off the transom. The motors themselves don't seem to be incredibly expensive, but I plan to clean mine up, and probably replace the brushes if everything is good to go inside. I do have the one on the parts motor out in the back. But I am not quite sure if that one is good or not, and I dont know if I want to spend the time messing around with that one. Who knows.
I make baits, so when I fish, I am product testing! And when I am not using baits I make, I am researching.

Offline Curt - NC

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 06:28:33 PM »
Most trim motors, etc. can be removed without removing the outboard from the boat. Hopefully yours will be one that can be.  :nod:
Brutally Honest Fishing Tackle Reviews at TackleTest.com

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 09:05:22 PM »
I will be sure to post some pictures when I do it. I am really hoping I can sneak an Allen key in and get the bolt out. Let me tell you, its buried in back there.