Author Topic: Breakfast and Baits  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +70/-0
  • Work to fish. Until I can Fish for work!
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 04 Tracker Avalanche, 115 Mercury
Breakfast and Baits
« on: February 06, 2021, 10:33:05 AM »
Cup of coffee and a handful of bladed jigs. ;D  This was the 2nd batch now all the Plano boxes are full!
-Mitz

Offline Curt - NC

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Breakfast and Baits
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 12:32:16 PM »
Not a bad way to spend your coffee time!

Looks like you've got all the colors covered too. Nice job  :thumbup:
Brutally Honest Fishing Tackle Reviews at TackleTest.com

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 01:07:51 PM »
Sorry...but those won't work!  Send them to me and i'll dispose of them for you  ;D

Offline Curt - NC

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 07:08:54 AM »
Sorry...but those won't work!  Send them to me and i'll dispose of them for you  ;D

My thoughts exactly  ;D

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 08:13:21 AM »
HA! You are right! I'm just going to trash these and go pick up some $20 Z-Man Jackhammer baits at Dicks.  :facepalm:

-Mitz

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 08:47:17 AM »
On a serious note i don't get the jackhammer craze, they look like a regular chatterbait to me  ???
No way am i paying that, i'll stick to making my own!

Offline Curt - NC

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 04:10:09 PM »
On a serious note i don't get the jackhammer craze, they look like a regular chatterbait to me  ???
No way am i paying that, i'll stick to making my own!

I tested the Jackhammer but have yet to write my review. I will be doing that soon.

Without revealing everything abut my review, I will simply say that I will not pay the price they are asking. More to come...  ;)

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: 2018 Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 09:34:50 AM »
Hate to be that guy, but I really like the jackhammer. I feel like the only objection I ever hear about it is the price. Sure its expensive. However, I dont think there is any dispute about the quality of the product, how it functions, the quality of the components used, etc. I have a statement from Zman in regards to it where they talk about the profit margins on the jackhammer being the lowest of any of their chatterbaits. Simply put, its a quality product. Some of the components of the regular chatterbait (mainly that line tie) scare me.

The main reason I like it so much is that I LOVE to skip them under docks. They skip well, but more importantly they start vibrating right away 100% of the time. Especially when skipping a home made one (or any one connected with a split ring) I find that it doesnt always vibrate right away. Sometimes you got to pop it a couple of times to get it going. I dont want to run the risk of my vibrating jig not working right away wasting a good skip. The home made ones often get twisted up, especially during a skip.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 04:23:41 PM »
Hate to be that guy
Don't worry you are not "that guy". I 100% agree the quality of parts make the bait! I just cry a lot less when one of the ones I make snaps off mid cast and sails across the lake!! :crying: :facepalm: (giggle)

-Mitz
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 04:28:14 PM by Mitz »

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 3lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1988 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 09:11:42 PM »
I have used a few jackhammers. I have to admit, I like them. I luckily, have never had to "pay" for one. Wait hold on, Dont think I used the "five finger discount" I got 2, as a gift from a friend, and I got one with a bass pro gift card that I got given to me that had 20 bucks still on it, because I liked the other 2 so much. The first 2 where the imfamous evergreen, and a white one. Then I got a black and blue one for Night fishing.

I caught a lot of fish on that evergreen. But once the blade bends a bit on them, the action is toast. Then, when out actually during the SRIBA Tourney at Hopelessville, the one 2lb fish or whatever it was, was caught on the white jackhammer. The only one I caught on that bait, and the skirt came untied. I got ahold of z man, they actually sent me a new one, free of charge, and then THAT ONES skirt fell off. I put a skirt on with the ol rubber band, and its still on to this day. I have had a sour taste in my mouth after that. I actually lost that black and blue jackhammer on some rocks at Watchaug the night I fished on the back of mitzs boat. That thing was the culprit of that bent blade and I wasn't happy with the action anymore.

I actually found I don't like them at night, and I like them more during the day, flipping and skipping docks and around laydowns. I like a wider flat body as the trailer kind of like a fluke, or even one of those missile baits quiver worms. I have found I like mine, with the split ring a lot more at night. It has more of a thump, and less of a vibration like the jackhammer. And sorry Brazzy, I find mine start up just as fast as the jackhammer. Maybe you need to try some of mine instead of those inferior "other brands"  (giggle)

I have also found the jackhammer, compared to mine with the split ring, does a lot better at a faster retrieve. They tend to stay a bit more stable in the water. Whether that be the tungsten head or something else, I don't know.

The line tie on the regular chatterbaits, is, ehh not the best. The snaps I feel are the way to go for sure!!
I make baits, so when I fish, I am product testing! And when I am not using baits I make, I am researching.

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 01:15:09 PM »
Hey Metz, what color was that one? Evergreen is the company that helped design it. Im curious if it was green pumpkin since those were ones were the ones that people couldnt get their hands on a couple of years ago. I used to take them and tie in some purple strands on it, but now they have "bama bug" and sprayed grass so I really dont make any modifications. 

For trailers I seldom use paddle tails. I usually use a zako. I have a zako mold, but it does not pour cleanly or easily so I will pour some and supplement that with bought ones. The other option I like is a lake fork magic shad. Those segmented soft swimbaits tend to work well on chatterbaits.

Also, I think the ones I bought that were "home made" they used a split ring that was a little too big. It would get kinked up and I would have to pop it a couple of times a the start of a lot of casts to get it running.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 01:20:51 PM by Brazzy »
Bear Hill Baits

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 05:33:27 PM »
I attached a picture of that evergreen jackhammer. Ive actually made a few skirts that are very similar, since I really like the color. I have caught a good amount of fish just on the initial drop of the bait, next to a dock pylon, or in the back of a floating dock before I start reeling. Not sure if those where a drop on the head scenario, or the fish just liked the color. Who knows.

I do favor my bladed jigs over the chatterbaits. I like the positive thump they have over the more vibration the z man line of chatterbaits has. I also like the fact I can make them at a fraction of the cost, and I get the satisfaction of catching a fish off of a bait I put together.
I make baits, so when I fish, I am product testing! And when I am not using baits I make, I am researching.

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 06:46:46 PM »
Evergreen is the name of the company that helped design them. That color is "B Hite Delight". Real solid color. Really can't go wrong with it in any situation. 
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - NC

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 05:00:00 PM »
I also make my own bladed jigs. I absolutely never have any trouble getting the bait started after making a cast.

I cast it, I start reeling and it starts vibrating. Period.

@Brazzy I have used the Lake Fork Magic Shad. They are great trailers. They were pretty pricey back when I tried them. I use other swimbait bodies now that cost a fraction and seem to produce well for me.

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 06:28:12 PM »
Ah I gotcha. I have just heard it called the evergreen jackhammer. Thanks for the heads up!

Talking trailers, my initial go to, now is an old school Curly tail Grub! I do like a twin tail grub trailer as well. I use them pretty much all the time now, besides if I am flipping around docks or cover and want a bit of skip. Then I put on a Fluke.