Author Topic: Obnoxiously priced baits!  (Read 189 times)

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 3lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1988 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
Obnoxiously priced baits!
« on: January 09, 2021, 02:45:49 PM »
So, I follow a guy on Youtube, and instagram, and his name is Nate Marling. Or Marling baits. He makes some awesome swimbaits, and some wacky stuff for his youtube channel. I actually have a mutual friend of his that lives in RI, that has bought some spinnerbaits and a big Jitterbug style bait I make called the Skitterwake from me, and fish with on occasion. Anyways, he drove out to Iowa where Marling lives, and gave him a few pieces of cool wood I have stashed being a woodworker and all. Marling started making baits again for sale, and he is charging some insane prices for these, and people are buying them!! He recently sold a few baits he made from a piece of Butternut, and spanish cedar that sold for $400  :o

Him and I talk a little over instagram, and he sent me a link to his new listing on his website. http://www.marlingbaits.com/

2 baits at $550 and one at $900!! Absolutely nuts. And one sold as he just put them on the site this morning.

Thought it would be pretty interesting to you guys to check out. Here is a video where he actually shouts me out, and says I am going to get a bait that he made for me!

He does make some crazy nice stuff. Maybe someday I will get that good!
I make baits, so when I fish, I am product testing! And when I am not using baits I make, I am researching.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
Re: Obnoxiously priced baits!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 10:28:04 AM »
That's some pretty cool baits he makes. Nice work 8)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 07:52:33 PM »
@metz12 The bait he's sending you looks great!

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 09:07:28 PM »
Pretty cool, I thought you guys would like it. Hes actually a fishing youtuber worth watching! I cant wait to get that creeper/crawler. I dont know if I want to throw it though  :o
I make baits, so when I fish, I am product testing! And when I am not using baits I make, I am researching.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 11:06:07 AM »
I cant wait to get that creeper/crawler. I dont know if I want to throw it though   :o

LOL.. I can't say that I blame you.  (giggle)

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 11:26:42 AM »
You may see me throw it around CT a bit at the night tourneys, but I think as soon as I catch a fish on it, I will retire it. Id love to get a replica made someday and I would hang it from its mouth. I am waiting for that fish 7lb or over for a replica though!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 11:41:38 AM »
Any bait like that I would probably only throw on 65 lb. braid, to make sure that the line didn't snap on the cast or on a big fish, leaving me with no lure  :crying:

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 12:19:15 PM »
I had some good luck with 70lb fitzgerald braid last year with the big topwaters. A lot of the swimbait guys throw 25lb mono a lot. I just dont have a big round reel, or a swimbait reel with a big enough spool for that. I can get away with 20 on most of my reels though.

One of my friends has been throwing baits on 30lb flouro, which I think is nuts. He throws some obnoxiously large baits.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 10:20:34 AM »
I had some good luck with 70lb fitzgerald braid last year with the big topwaters. A lot of the swimbait guys throw 25lb mono a lot. I just dont have a big round reel, or a swimbait reel with a big enough spool for that. I can get away with 20 on most of my reels though.

One of my friends has been throwing baits on 30lb flouro, which I think is nuts. He throws some obnoxiously large baits.

I've used 20 or 25 lb. Berkley Big Game mono a lot. It works really well.