Author Topic: Biggest fish so far on one of the baits I made!  (Read 866 times)

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 3lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1988 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
Biggest fish so far on one of the baits I made!
« on: September 11, 2020, 06:08:50 PM »
So one of my buddies had the biggest fish that I know of on one of my topwater baits that I make. (I call them the SkitterWake) Not sure why they are considered a wakebait, but everyone wanted to call them a wakebait, so hey cant beat em Join em. His big fish hung around for a couple of months actually at 4.49. Anyways, the other night I was paralleling a reed bed and a 4.58 slammed my shorter profile, prototype baits. Its head and upper body came out of the water and I thought it was a lot bigger but when I got it in the boat, she was short and very stocky. Despite having a bait gut hooked very deep, and 8' of mono hanging out of its mouth  ::) I didnt want to go digging so I cut the access line off and let her go.

After a couple of pictures of course. Hopefully as the water cools a bit and the water levels go back up, I can get one in the 5 or 6lb class on one of these baits.
I make baits, so when I fish, I am product testing! And when I am not using baits I make, I am researching.

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +70/-0
  • Work to fish. Until I can Fish for work!
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 04 Tracker Avalanche, 115 Mercury
Re: Biggest fish so far on one of the baits I made!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 07:32:24 AM »
Nice Fish Matt! Better get to work those orders are going to start piling up! :thumbup:
-Mitz

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 09:03:57 PM »
Nice Fish Matt! Better get to work those orders are going to start piling up! :thumbup:
-Mitz

Maybe someday! I have to get guys to believe that a jitterbug style bait actually still catches fish  ;D Hoping to hit the lure making game a bit harder this winter. My friend wants to get into pouring soft plastics as well. We where talking about me carving a blank out of wood and making a mold for a couple soft swimbaits from silicone to do open pours as well.
I make baits, so when I fish, I am product testing! And when I am not using baits I make, I am researching.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 10:37:25 AM »
Nice fish! You look just a tad happy  ;D ;D
Brutally Honest Fishing Tackle Reviews at TackleTest.com

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 10:22:03 AM »
Thanks Curt! That thing hit it with force too. I thought it was for sure over 5 when I was setting the hook and fighting it in. But we all do that sort of thing  ;D I only have a little while longer to have a good shot at getting a fish on one over 5 this year. I am heading to CT this afternoon to see if I can put anything together to a lake I have only been to once. The low water around here is rough to try to launch a boat and not get stuck off the shallow ramp. I had one heck of a time at watchaug a bit over a week ago. You can launch the boat fine, but that shallow flat off the ramp was so shallow my finder wouldnt read it, and the aft end of the boat was hitting sand.