Author Topic: Pre frontal fishing  (Read 208 times)

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 2lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1987 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
Pre frontal fishing
« on: May 29, 2020, 06:14:50 PM »
So you hear everyone talking about getting out on the water before a storm rolls in, and how its great, the fish are feeding like crazy and you throw anything into the water you are going to get bit. I never seem to do well before a front moves in. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Yesterday I decided to take the boat out to one of my favorite places in CT to see if I could put anything together before the rain storm moved in. Well I got there with all the confidence in the world, it started to fade the longer I fished. I did manage a couple fish, and one on the hollow body frog which really makes me happy. (Only my 2nd frog bass, and I am slowly starting to get the hang of learning it. Its also quickly coming to be a favorite method of mine too.) But, I didn't really slam them hard. Talked with one guy at the ramp before the rain set in, and he caught the crap out of them so he said. One 6, and one 3lber and 8 other "Keepers". The body of water I was at certainly can produce those fish, but I definitely can see how someone can stretch the truth. Especially the type of guy he seemed to be with the glitter boat and cutting me off at the ramp to load his boat before me.

Anyways, to make a long post a bit longer, Do you guys like fishing pre frontal conditions? Are you in the same boat as me that dont produce as well as others say? Its always been weird for me. I just seem to do better in a stable weather pattern for some reason.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Pre frontal fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 07:02:38 PM »
Pre-frontal fishing is conditional. Let me explain.

If there is a front moving in, such as clouds, a breeze, etc., with rain on its heels, it can be seriously good fishing. But, there have to be certain conditions met for that to happen.

First, the front has to come in on after at least a few days of stable, sunny weather. If there has only been one day, or maybe two days of sunny weather, the pre-frontal phenomenon won't happen.

Second, if the situation meets the conditions mentioned above, the lake you're fishing can matter. Some lakes are better than others in pre-frontal conditions. Only time and experience on several water bodies will show you which lakes are better.

Third, even on bodies of water that fish well in pre-frontal conditions, specific areas of the lake may fish better than others. There might be specific shorelines, flats, points, etc. that produce better than others, over and over again, while other areas leave you fishless and scratching your head.

By far, though, the very first thing I mentioned above is the single biggest factor. The longer period of stable weather we've had prior to the front moving in, the better the pre-frontal fishing will be.

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 07:54:26 PM »
@metz12 , I totally agree with Curt, three days is absolutely the magic number. As far as your "tough" day, it seems we might be i different stages of the spawn. I went to a pond the other day with overcast, fog and mist, thought I was gonna crush them but it was slow, it seemed like post spawn. When I went to a lake down the road it was on. 
Owner, Toad Hunter Spinnerbaits

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 2lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1987 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 07:29:10 AM »
@metz12 , I totally agree with Curt, three days is absolutely the magic number. As far as your "tough" day, it seems we might be i different stages of the spawn. I went to a pond the other day with overcast, fog and mist, thought I was gonna crush them but it was slow, it seemed like post spawn. When I went to a lake down the road it was on.

This one lake I was at the temps where averaging around 75 deg. This lake tends to run a bit warmer then a lot in the area from my experience. I couldnt find any fish on beds, but I figure it was right in the middle of the spawn. Caught one really, really chunky 12" fish that looked like he was going to explode. The 2nd was a larger one that was on the frog, and he looked like he was just in the beginning stages of the spawn. He was pretty beat up, and active. I could see the sparse pads around moving before I caught him.

Thanks @Curt - RI That seems to put those missing pieces of the puzzle together. Totally makes sense.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 09:38:36 AM »
Thanks @Curt - RI That seems to put those missing pieces of the puzzle together. Totally makes sense.

@metz12 You're welcome. Glad to help  :nod:

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: 2018 Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 02:12:38 PM »
Love this conversation because its so hard to predict when it will happen but I think we've all seen it happen. Last fall I think I posted o here that I thought we had one of these days coming but it turned out to be a very good day instead of a memorable day. The couple of times I experienced this it was after longer stretches very vanilla weather. Just days on days of nothing days that met what the season called for and there was an abrupt change.

The most recent was summer of 2018 we planned on heading out on a Saturday and were going to cancel it. The weather forecast called for heavy rains, heavy winds. We looked at the hourly forecast and saw it shouldn't hit until late morning. So we figured lets get out there early and we'll be off the water before it gets bad. As we idled to our spot we felt the pressure drop and it suddenly get like 10 degrees cooler. Like a sudden noticeable difference. We absolutely started to pile up quality fish. It was like we could do no wrong. Then our phones started buzzing. TORNADO WARNING IN YOUR AREA. SEEK SHELTER IMMEDIATELY. Umm.. we are killing it.. We kind of chuckled but we were still catching quality fish on almost every other cast. Second warning FLASH FLOOD WARNING. We joked "hey no better place to be during a flood than in a boat".. BAHAHAHA.. Keep catching them. 10 minutes later another alert TORNADO WARNING IN YOUR AREA. SEEK SHELTER IMMEDIATELY. Thats when we saw lightning in the distance and decided to call it quits. Got to the ramp. Pulled up the boat up. Packed it up and as we pulled out of the parking lot it just started pouring rain and lightning. It was the start of a couple of days of cooler, wetter weather.

So I feel like the points above are right on point. It is long stretches of nothingness but the front needs to be something significant. I feel like the faster and more violent the change in weather the more likely it is to trigger this phenomena. However, once it does hit I do find fishing can be very challenging.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 03:48:12 PM »
@Brazzy Great story!!

Many years ago I was fishing in Maine with @bezerk

It was late August and it was dog days hot. A front blew in and the sky got darker and darker. We could hear thunder off in the distance, but the fish were on fire!

We kept fishing the hump we were on and caught smallies until our arms hurt, but then the air got dead still, and we started hearing clicking noises. And then our mono line started floating in mid air!

We got out of there as fast as we could, and 10 minutes later the skies opened up and it poured buckets of rain.

That was as close to a lightning strike as I ever want to get. So I never stay out that long these days. But the catching sure was crazy!