Author Topic: Getting Used to The New Humminbird Helix 8  (Read 320 times)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Getting Used to The New Humminbird Helix 8
« on: April 09, 2020, 09:49:04 AM »
Well, after a few fishing trips, I am starting to get used to the new Helix 8 on my bow!

I have to say that this thing is leaps and bounds above the old 788 that I was using, as well as leaps and bounds above the 798 still on my console.

The 8 inch screen isn't monstrous, but it is big enough to make things much easier to see and with much more detail, due to the higher screen resolution.

The added detail in the standard sonar view is incredible. Having the Side Imaging from my 798 SI transducer, which is mounted on the transom, is an added bonus that helps me see so much more is an added bonus, thanks to the networking of the two units.

I am just starting to play with the Auto Chart feature, to give me more detailed maps of the lakes that I fish the most often. There is a myriad of adjustments available with this feature that I am still learning.

I am also still learning about all of the new features and adjustments available when it comes to the standard sonar, the down imaging and the many different screens and views available. I will probably never learn them all  (nope)

So, here are a few screenshots that I have gotten this week. Please note that viewing them on your computer screen actually causes them to look pixelated and a bit blocky, but they don't look like that on the Helix. On the Helix, they are super crisp and sharp!

Here is the first screenshot that I grabbed, showing the standard sonar and the GPS view.

This show shows the Auto Chart feature being used, immediately after I had first turned it on.

This one shows the standard sonar view, along with the SI view, showing many of the rocks in this lake.

This one shows the standard sonar, Down Imaging and Side Imaging all on the same screen.

This one shows how much area I covered using the Auto Chart, as well as the Side Imaging, showing one large boulder and its shadow.

I thought this shot was cool because it shows a boulder that is broken in two pieces.

Here's a good one showing an old stone wall that was submerged when they filled the lake. The detail isn't as good as it could be because I need to adjust the scroll speed to coincide with the speed I was moving at. Still learning all of these little details.

Awesome Side Imaging shot, showing the shadows for the larger boulders. Again, it looked much better on the Helix screen, and the scroll speed settings need to be adjusted. But still a pretty cool image.

More to come!

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
Re: Getting Used to The New Humminbird Helix 8
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 11:48:31 AM »
You can always move that unit to the console and get a bigger unit up front  ;D

I have 2 10" helix's and still want a bigger one 8)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 12:20:03 PM »
You can always move that unit to the console and get a bigger unit up front 

(giggle) (giggle)

I can see me getting another Helix for the console in the future. But first, I want to save up for a Talon. I'm getting tired of not having some kind of shallow water anchor when I need one.

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: 2018 Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 05:05:48 PM »
Good deal. I do love the helix. The one thing I really like was getting a mount so its not on the floor. I started doing it when I had a 7" and it made a world of a difference. I did the same on the helix 12 and its just nice to have it up off the floor. Easier to see, dont have to bend as far.. Overall it makes life easier.

Speaking on making life easy... YES on the talon. Even if it is just 1. 2 is awesome, but even just having 1 makes life so much easier. Whether its loading or unloading the boat, fighting a fish, taking pictures, culling, trying to stop you from drifting or slowing down your drift, or waiting for blast off. Its the equivalent of a rear parking camera on a car. When you first see it you're like.. thats cool, but I dont need it... Then you start using it and get used to it and you get in a car without it and you wonder how you ever parked without it.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 07:25:22 PM »
@Brazzy I considered buying a raised mount but opted to skip it for now. I didn't want to drop $100 on something that I might not need.

For me, just having the unit mounted at the front/center of the bow is a huge leap forward. And the stock mount actually raises it up to a decent height. Any higher will cause it to sit well above the bow of the boat, which I'm not so sure that I would like. Time will tell, though, so thanks for the tips on that!  :thumbup: