Author Topic: Opening Day?  (Read 926 times)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Opening Day?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2020, 11:01:52 AM »
@Zero Thanks for posting these. My guess is that Watchaug Pond ramp will be open.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2020, 11:30:36 AM »
@Zero Thanks for posting these. My guess is that Watchaug Pond ramp will be open.

Now we just need to know when they plan on opening trout waters .  Hopefully they announce something next week!

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 2lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1987 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2020, 11:47:30 AM »
So I took a ride by Watchaug boat ramp on my way home today. The only thing that is closed, is the parking and picnic area where the actual state park is. You can still drive left towards the boat ramp. There is nothing new placed there, like signs where the boat ramp would be closed. Im sure there will be something posted once we get a day where trout ponds are open again. The floating dock also is still not in the water.

Offline Zero

• Guppy
  • Kiss My Bass!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB: 5Lb 6oz
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2020, 11:56:12 AM »
From the DEM Facebook Page:

Confirmation boat ramps open (only exclusions for parking lots are for STATE owned Beaches and Parks):

State Parks:
Beavertail State Park, Brenton Point State Park, Colt State Park, Fort Adams State Park, Fort Wetherill State Park, Goddard Memorial State Park, Haines Memorial State Park, Lincoln Woods State Park and Snake Den State Park.

Beaches:
Charlestown Breachway State Beach, East Beach, East Matunuck, Misquamicut, Roger WHeeler, Salty Brine and Scarborough state beaches.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2020, 06:58:15 PM »
Based on my past experiences with running tourneys at Watchaug, the boat ramp is definitely not part of the state park, since every tournament permit I ever pulled for Watchaug included a special note instructing me that if I wished to use the picnic area parking lot for overflow parking, I would need to contact the park directly to get permission to do so.

Based on this and the other info posted here, it's safe to assume that Watchaug Pond boat ramp will be open as soon as they open up the trout waters.  :yes:

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2020, 04:35:48 PM »
Fishing season open!  Kind of...

http://www.ri.gov/press/view/38085

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2020, 08:04:00 PM »
Fishing season open!  Kind of...

http://www.ri.gov/press/view/38085

Wow. What an absolute mess this has become  :facepalm:

I read through most of the article and I didn't see much in there that really clarified what this will mean for places like Watchaug. I'm assuming it will fall under the whole alphabet thing, meaning that certain people will be eligible to fish there on specific days.

Seriously? It's open water! Yes, there is a boat launch that's only a few acres. But is this really going to fix whatever problem they see with being on the water?

And I wonder if this will only be happening at Trout waters, or if it will spill over onto all boat launches.

I guess time will tell. And until I am told specifically that I can't use a specific launch on a specific day, then I will continue to fish wherever I feel like fishing on a given day, provided it is not Trout water.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2020, 09:28:17 AM »
It only applies to trout waters the way i read it and they will monitor the popular trout sites that attract large crowds.

The FAQ section on the DEM site said they're phasing in the season over the next 2 to 3 weeks. Should be back to normal after that!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2020, 10:19:38 AM »
It'll be interesting to watch this all play out.  :hmm:

Offline Zero

• Guppy
  • Kiss My Bass!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB: 5Lb 6oz
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2020, 05:05:48 AM »
It only applies to trout waters the way i read it and they will monitor the popular trout sites that attract large crowds.

The FAQ section on the DEM site said they're phasing in the season over the next 2 to 3 weeks. Should be back to normal after that!

Some Clarification:

Q: Do the new fishing restrictions for when an angler can fish apply to all recreational fishing?
A. The new system applies to all anglers fishing at trout-designated waters.

Freshwater: Anglers who are fishing in trout-designated waters must adhere to the new system that staggers the days when licensed anglers can fish in trout waters. To prevent crowding and encourage social distancing, those with last names beginning with A through M can only fish on even numbered calendar days, and those with last names beginning with N through Z can only fish on odd numbered calendar days.

Anglers fishing at freshwater areas that are not trout-designated waters are exempt from the new alphabet system. Anglers must follow social distancing practices and maintain a distance of at least six feet from others and in groupings of no more than five persons. If you arrive at a favorite fishing spot and find that crowds are forming or the parking lots is full, please leave and choose a different location or return at another time or day. View a map of freshwater systems that are not stocked. 

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2020, 09:45:28 AM »
@Zero Thanks for further info.

I will be glad when all of this stupidity is behind us.  :yes: