Author Topic: Garmin Force trolling motor  (Read 1922 times)

Offline tritonmike

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +3/-0
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
Garmin Force trolling motor
« on: January 16, 2020, 05:11:37 PM »
hey all, looking for any feedback on the garmin force trolling motor. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on getting one. I've read a lot of good things on them and I already have the garmin electronics to pair with it. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything bad about them?

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
Re: Garmin Force trolling motor
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 10:19:01 AM »
I don't think there's too many of them out there yet. But everything i've read about them has been positive.

No brainer if you already have the garmin units  8)  You have livescope?

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 08:15:20 PM »
From what I have seen, they are just now starting to show up at marine dealers, so they are still pretty new to the public.

The reviews I have read are mixed. Almost everyone says it is the quietest motor they have had.

But most are also saying that the spot lock (or whatever Garmin calls theirs) is not good. I read that in a handful of the reviews and they all said the same exact thing, that it wanders, forward and then backwards, and then forward again. Not tight locking at all.

Personally, I won't spend this much on a TM, but if you're looking for a TM to pair with your Garmin electronics, that I don't blame you for considering it.

The reviews at Tackle Warehouse were pretty much balanced, with some negative and some positive.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Garmin_Force_Trolling_Motor/descpage-GFTM.html?from=nebass

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 02:32:23 PM »
Just got back from the boat show and seen the new Lowrance Ghost on a couple of boats.

Impressive looking motor, looks solid and very clean looking the way they route the wiring.

As for the spot lock Curt i've seen similar reviews on the Ultrex too!  The calmer the water the more they wander!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 02:40:53 PM »
As for the spot lock Curt i've seen similar reviews on the Ultrex too!  The calmer the water the more they wander!

That's interesting, Joe. I have heard nothing but good about the Ultrex from anyone I've talked to or read about.

One of the reviews that I read on the Force specifically mentioned that it wandered even in the wind.  :hmm:

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 10:39:20 AM »
@tritonmike We had a server glitch last night that wiped out your last post  :crying:

Be sure to keep us up to date on what you decide to buy!

Offline tritonmike

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 01:15:38 PM »
well, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the garmin force, just gonna wait till the tackle/boat shows coming up to see if there's a deal to be had. I'm also going to be getting three lithium ion batteries for it. I'm on the fence between Dakota lithiums and ionic's. I like the ionics Bluetooth capabilities but Dakota gives an 11 year warranty so just shopping for more reviews on them also.

Offline Eric-Maine

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +40/-0
  • I love NorthEast Bass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 08:13:45 PM »
Paul Mueller from Ct. is 2cnd currently on Bass Elite St Johns. I am sure he is using one. Live again tomorrow. Lot of Non Ultrexes competing.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 10:56:47 AM »
Paul Mueller from Ct. is 2cnd currently on Bass Elite St Johns. I am sure he is using one. Live again tomorrow. Lot of Non Ultrexes competing.

I'm seeing a ton of lowrance ghost trolling motors on both Bass & BPT live streams.
I checked out the ghost at the boat show and was impressed, looks to be built very solid!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 01:18:37 PM »
I'm seeing a ton of lowrance ghost trolling motors on both Bass & BPT live streams.
I checked out the ghost at the boat show and was impressed, looks to be built very solid!

I'm guessing most of the Elite guys running them are probably sponsored by the manufacturers.

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out in the marketplace. As for me, I could never drop $3000+ on a TM.  :nope:

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 09:23:58 AM »
As for me, I could never drop $3000+ on a TM.  :nope:

It's a tough one swallow but that's where the market is now.  I think Power Pole is getting the market also.
Hopefully all the competition will drive the prices down! 

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 10:46:53 AM »
It's a tough one swallow but that's where the market is now.  I think Power Pole is getting the market also.
Hopefully all the competition will drive the prices down! 

I wish the competition would drive the prices down. But as long as people are willing to drop 3 grand on a TM, prices won't drop a penny.

Look at the bass boat prices now. $100,000 for a bass boat??  :facepalm:

Outside of the very basic aluminum bass boats, everything is $30,000 and up. And glass boats are through the roof overall, with an average price of $50,000+.

Offline tritonmike

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 06:11:06 PM »

Well, I have decided to go with the garmin force trolling motor I ordered it and will have it by Friday! I also did a lot of research on the lithium batteries and I ordered the Dakota lithium 36 volt package which is 3 12volt batteries and a charger for each one. they are warranteed for 11 years (3000 cycles). they don't charge tax and it's only 10 bucks for shipping. it came to 2409. they have been supplying some of the pro's for a few years now and they have an awesome rep. Can't wait to get this stuff all rigged and ready to go. I also have 2 garmin 93svultra's and the panoptics/livescope to install.  getting excited!!

Offline Bob W - RI

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +96/-0
  • Get the NET !!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 7.19 lb LMB. Amos Lake, CT 2014
  • My Boat: Bass Tracker PT175
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 08:12:45 PM »
Tritonmike,  Are the three chargers of any size or weight. I should just go look at their website.  I too have the two Garmin 93sv units and the Panoptics Livescope. Just an FYI on these, you will need the Garmin GMS-10 network hub for the two to talk to each other at all. At that time you can also share the panoptic. The NMEA-2000 cable will not do it. Love the 93sv's with the touchscreen with pinch option that most units don't have. Good luck with yours. Sure you will love it.

Bob W.
Snack Time !     Get the Net !  ><((((º>

Offline tritonmike

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 03:05:20 PM »

thanks, I do have the black box for the livescope. just gotta rig it all up. the chargers they give you for the Dakota batteries are small and not really made to install in boat. I went on this site: lithiumhub.com they sell the Ionics batteries and I bought a 4bank charger for my boat for 319 bucks. it charges the 3 lithiums and my AGM battery for my motor.