Author Topic: Are Boca bearing worth the upgade  (Read 480 times)

Offline Glenn

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 18 ft Nitro
Are Boca bearing worth the upgade
« on: January 08, 2020, 12:41:13 AM »
Are Boca bearing worth the upgrade in terms of getting a longer cast over the standard bearings the reels already come with.

reels used

Shimano CHRONARCH

Shimano Curado K

Used for both pitching and flipping
Glenn Mc Murrian

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Are Boca bearing worth the upgade
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 09:44:50 AM »
@Glenn Welcome to the site  :nod:

I have heard mixed feelings about Boca bearings. Not so much as to whether they are good or not, but whether the cost is justified compared to normal bearings.

You mentioned possibly changing to Boca bearings for greater casting distance, but you also mentioned pitching and flipping.

If you use the reels for multi-purpose fishing, casting, pitching and flipping, it might be worth your time and money to upgrade. But if you use them more for pitching and flipping, it's probably not worth it.

Also, keep in mind that switching to Boca bearings will require you to adjust your reel's braking system differently to avoid backlashes, since they tend to spin more freely than stock bearings.

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: 2018 Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 02:02:48 PM »
So I am mixed on this for casting distance because I am all for high quality parts. The catch is I feel that we restrict the spool more than the bearings do. Curt eluded to having to adjust your brakes and that is just it. Improved bearings will allow the spool to spin more freely, but we restrict it with brakes tension knob and our thumb so I dont know how much more it will help on casting distance. However, if you want to say it helps overall performance and the corrosion resistance and longevity it will provide by having ceramic ball bearings over steel I think there can be an argument for it.

On the flip side, if you are looking at improving overall performance perhaps look into polishing the components (super tune). Cleaning/polishing the components of a reel is much cheaper and in terms of difficulty is on par with swapping out bearings. If you are paying someone to do it then it depends on what is considered part of the "super tune". To some a "super tune" entails upgrades to bearings. To others its simply polishing the existing components so it can vary in price.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 02:04:18 PM »
@Brazzy Thanks for chiming in on this. I figured you'd have some good feedback on it  :thumbup:

Offline Glenn

• Guppy
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 18 ft Nitro
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 03:16:00 AM »
Thanks for all your advice I am leaning to just stick with the stock bearings or just replace the bearings with standard reel bearing as I tell my son there is no need to by a new reel just because it has 14 bearings when a reel with even 5 bearings will work just the same and feel just a good.
Glenn Mc Murrian

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 09:42:49 AM »
A lot of people get caught in the # of bearing a reel has.  More is not always better, i've had reels with 4 bearings that performed better than 10 bearing reels!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 10:37:27 AM »
A lot of people get caught in the # of bearing a reel has.  More is not always better, i've had reels with 4 bearings that performed better than 10 bearing reels!

What he said! It's the quality of those bearings that matters most  :yes:

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 10:38:32 AM »
Thanks for all your advice I am leaning to just stick with the stock bearings or just replace the bearings with standard reel bearing as I tell my son there is no need to by a new reel just because it has 14 bearings when a reel with even 5 bearings will work just the same and feel just a good.

@Glenn You're welcome  :thumbup:

And you're right. An older reel that's repaired and maintained will work just as well most times  :yes:

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: 2018 Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 11:18:14 AM »
Thanks Curt.

I agree with Joe P 100%. The higher end reels will often boast crazy amounts of bearings, but by no means is that what makes them better.

The cool part is that just in the past few years the technology behind these things has gotten drastically better. Super tuning a reel used to be a big thing simply because softening the imperfections and smoothing the friction points would make a huge difference in a reel. In comes the concept of free floating spools and it changed the game as now you have spools not connected to the pinion gear. So now you have spools that spin very freely less friction and in some cases completely eliminated some friction points. That meant that braking systems had to catch up which kind of defeated the purpose. However, the manufacturers have targeted the spool as an opportunity to improve and I think they are killing it. Right now it feels like Shimano and Daiwa are leading the charge of messing with the overall weight and distribution of the spools. Basically they are deigning them to be able to spin faster and more freely, but not carry momentum. So basically it does not take much force to move the spool but the spool stops once the force stops. This is seen in the MGL and SV spools. So we are talking about really improving casting distance (even for lighter lures) while requiring less braking and still reducing backlashes. What a magical combination that is and bearings have very little to do with it.

Overall its a change in the mode of thought. Growing up it was ALL more/better bearings = better reel. Its not completely false, but it sounds like we were led to believe in it a little more than we should have.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 10:16:33 AM »
Basically they are deigning them to be able to spin faster and more freely, but not carry momentum.

That right there. Momentous!!  :nod: