Author Topic: Cup Holder Installation Question  (Read 547 times)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Cup Holder Installation Question
« on: January 04, 2020, 07:56:19 PM »
My boat only came with one cup holder at the console. There are ZERO other cup holders anywhere int he boat  :facepalm:

To remedy that, I bought 3 new cup holders a couple years back. But, because of the need to cut giant holes in various locations in my boat, I have held off on putting them in.

So, my question is regarding the actual cutting of the hole that the plastic cup holder will drop into. I'm guessing this is best done with a hole saw. And since my entire boat is aluminum, including the decks, it isn't extremely thick metal. Based on this fact, it should be pretty easy to cut these holes and drop the plastic cup holders into the holes.

I guess i'm just looking for a little moral support and feedback from someone who might have done this on their own boat, to let me know how hard or easy it was to do.

I don't own a hole saw (yet), so I need to go buy one that's good for metal. But I don't want to buy one until I know for sure that this is as easy as I think it will be to do.

Anyone have any feedback for me?

Online Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
Re: Cup Holder Installation Question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 11:10:09 AM »
Could always go the easy route, my boat came with one of these from the factory!

http://www.amazon.com/TIHOOD-Adjustable-Folding-Holder-Caravan/dp/B07TXKBWV1/ref=sr_1_10?crid=25KESBTUPE5UQ&keywords=cup+holder+for+boat&qid=1578240300&sprefix=cup+holder+for+boat%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-10

If you do use yours definitely use a holesaw. I think i saw a video where they ran the bit in reverse if drilling thru carpet or scoring the carpet with a razor knife first. If not you mgiht rip up the carpet in that spot.  And make sure there's no crossbeams where you drill  8)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:11:58 AM by Joe P »

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 03:05:04 PM »
@Joe P those look pretty good. I'm just not sure where I would mount them, since they need a vertical surface to screw them to. I will have to take another look at my boat to see if I might be able to make them work.

I have already picked out two spots where I would put new ones, where there aren't any obstructions or supports under the decks.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 03:09:26 PM by Curt - RI »

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 3lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1988 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 11:55:04 AM »
The holesaw will be tough with the carpet. I usually try to stay away from even using hole saws if I dont need too. They get fetched up pretty easily especially in a hand drill, and will yank that sucker out of your hand, and can really do some damage to your hand wrist and forearm. Especially in a corded drill, that has more power then a battery operated drill usually, and doesn't have an automatic stop, and keeps spinning after you let go of the trigger. ALWAYS USE AN AUXILIARY HANDLE WITH A HOLE SAW IN A HAND DRILL!

After typing this out, I am thinking using a Jig Saw with a metal, or less aggressive wood blade to cut the hole in the deck would be a better method (Aluminum is so soft and you can cut it with wood blades very easy) but I am assuming now Curt that you want to put cup holders next to either the gunnel, or something that could interfere with the base of the blade to cut the hole out. A hole saw in this case may be your best bet. I would surely flip the holesaw over, and trace out with a sharpie on your carpet where you want to cut the hole in the deck, and slice the carpet off with a knife.  just so you can lessen your chances of getting fetched up, and potentially ripping the carpet off the deck of the boat, or getting peeled from the deck where you dont want it removed!!

Also, depending on what size hole saw you need, I may have one you can borrow. They tend to be a bit pricey!
I make baits, so when I fish, I am product testing! And when I am not using baits I make, I am researching.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 01:31:46 PM »
@metz12 Thanks for the feedback on this. One spot does in fact have the gunwale in the way, so I can't use a jigsaw. I'm wondering if maybe a dremel might work best for that spot??  :hmm:

But the spot up front can easily be done with a Jigsaw, so I might as well just tackle it and get it over with  :yes:

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 05:44:17 PM »
A dremel is a great idea! May take a while, but should do a good job. When I got the new trolling motor for my boat I recessed the foot pedal and I cut the carpet along with the plywood on my fro t do I with a jigsaw and had no issues as well. Good luck!
I make baits, so when I fish, I am product testing! And when I am not using baits I make, I am researching.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 08:16:16 PM »
A dremel is a great idea! May take a while, but should do a good job.

My decks are aluminum, so it should be fairly easy to cut them with a Dremel. It won't be as quick as a jigsaw, but it will allow me to get into those tight areas where the Jigsaw won't reach.  :nod:

Online Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 09:37:16 AM »
For a cup holder you really need to use a holesaw as you need a tight fit for the holder. it will be tough to cut a round hole by hand!
Shouldn't be too hard, just cut out the carpet before drilling through and let the holesaw do the work.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 09:47:39 AM »
For a cup holder you really need to use a holesaw as you need a tight fit for the holder.

Good point, Joe. Thanks for reminding me. I was actually figuring on cutting the hole a tad smaller than necessary if I used a jigsaw or Dremel, and then filing it a little to get it just right.

We'll see how this all turns out  :nod:

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 10:04:03 AM »
Another thought curt is you can buy round drum Sanders you can chuck up in a drill. They work awesome. If you are traveling near a harbor freight they are cheap there and work well. But I'm sure mcquades ace hardware or home depot has one.