Author Topic: New Helix 8  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
Re: New Helix 8
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2020, 11:06:19 AM »
I was thinking about that after, i do have a choke built into the transducer cable.  You should put it in to be safe!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2020, 09:30:14 PM »
You should put it in to be safe!

I definitely will!

I worked on it a bit today. Before I actually mount the unit, I have several other steps I need to take to prepare and to make sure everything is done right.

The first step was to clear all of the rods from the rear deck that I had laying there  (giggle)

After that, I had to remove the recessed trolling motor foot pedal tray, and then remove the foot pedal from the tray. I needed to drill a hole in the front area of the tray so I could run the power cable for the trolling motor through it, instead of having it laying on the deck. I no longer use a plug to connect my trolling motor to the wiring. I eliminated the plug last year when I discovered that it had actually gotten hot enough to start melting at some point. It was a very bad day waiting to happen. So I cut the plug off and hard-wired it into the boat's wiring.

This pic shows where the power cable ran through the bow panel. Not very clean to look at!

Once I've had time to upload more pics, I'll post some more!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2020, 10:06:25 AM »
Here's another pic, showing the cable routed though the newly-drilled hole in the tray.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2020, 11:22:10 AM »
Is this job all done?

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2020, 02:19:18 PM »
Is this job all done?

@Joe P about 95%. All I have left to do is install the fuse panel, which I'm gonna get done this weekend.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2020, 02:31:16 PM »
Oh, and I will also be finishing up some tweaks on my old Humminbird 798, at my console. I need to update the software so it will network with the Helix 8. And I will be rerouting the power cable for the 798 to the new fuse panel, so both of my units will be connected directly to the 12 gauge wire that I just ran from the battery to the bow.  I also hope to get that done this weekend.

Hopefully I can cram all of this in sometime tomorrow afternoon, since I am spending this afternoon doing my taxes  ::)

Offline Bob W - RI

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +96/-0
  • Get the NET !!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 7.19 lb LMB. Amos Lake, CT 2014
  • My Boat: Bass Tracker PT175
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2020, 03:14:27 PM »
Looks great! Now its time to use it!

Bob W.
Snack Time !     Get the Net !  ><((((º>

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2020, 05:43:40 PM »
I see one problem in your future.  Once you start using the new bird you're going to want to update 798  8)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2020, 08:31:45 PM »
Looks great! Now its time to use it!

@Bob W - RI  Thanks! And you're right. Time to start using it  :yes:

I see one problem in your future.  Once you start using the new bird you're going to want to update 798

@Joe P You're probably right. Hopefully I can at least get through this year with the 798, especially since the better unit is on the bow, where I spend 98% of my time in the boat  :nod:

My plan is to upgrade my TM first, and then add a Talon later on down the road. Not sure of a timeline, so we'll see how it goes.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2020, 08:01:40 PM »
Today I finally finished the Helix installation. There have been so many steps in this process!

Today I cut the new 12 gauge wire that I had looped under my console and installed the new fuse panel.

Here's where the fuse panel will get mounted. This is where my Humminbird Interlink has been mounted for the last 5 or 6 years.

There was about a 1/8 inch gap here at the bottom, so I cut a couple pieces of plastic that I used to shim it and make it pretty close to even. My concern was that not shimming this would put stress on the fuse panel when I tightened the screws down, possibly cracking it.

Here it is, screwed into place.

Now the main power is connected to the panel.

And the leads for the Helix are connected.

The cover is on. This part is finished!

Next, I went to the stern and connected the choke that Humminbird suggested I add, to prevent trolling motor interference. This required me to cut the terminal ends off the onboard charger leads and attach the choke in their place.

After doing all of this, I reconnected the power and negative leads to the cranking battery.

Then I tested everything. Everything worked perfectly.

Next, I updated the software on my 798, so it could network with the Helix. The update want without a hitch. I tested that afterward and it all worked as expected.

I even spent some time playing with the networking settings on both units. In doing so, I found that I could actually view the side imaging from the 798 SI transducer on the Helix screen, while also viewing the DI and other screens from the Helix transducer, all on the Helix screen.

I know that as I spend more time with these, I will figure out more stuff.

I'm just glad this part is all done and I can start using it!  (yes)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 08:04:03 PM by Curt - RI »

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2020, 12:51:32 PM »
 :thumbup: