Author Topic: Turnover started?  (Read 292 times)

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +12/-0
    • View Profile
Turnover started?
« on: September 07, 2019, 03:11:09 PM »
Things seem to be slowing down, but fall fishing is just around the corner.
Owner, Toad Hunter Spinnerbaits

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 2lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1987 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
Re: Turnover started?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 07:26:41 PM »
Its kind of crazy if you ask me! I feel like we should really still be in the summer pattern. Its this time of year where I start to struggle. When that water temperature gets getting low I start to struggle. I like the warm water temps. I guess I have to dust off my limited supply of crankbaits and start chucking and winding!

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: 2018 Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 01:34:36 PM »
Hey Metz, you could do that and just try and find them by covering water. Its not the worse thing in the world to do. The other thing would be to look at trying out some different water. Deeper lakes will react much more slowly to the drop in temps then the shallower lakes. The other good thing about the "deeper" lakes around here is that they are not crazy deep. They typically have only a couple of places that can get to 25-30 or so feet (stafford, singletary, webster, etc) and the rest isnt as deep. The cool thing is that when the water temps drop and it starts to get cold you can simply go to the deepest part of the lake and look for where the structure comes up the fastest. Find the quick access to shallow water and just grid it out with your charts. Once you find bait, you're golden. Although they will move you are at least arent far off from finding them. It really helps to narrow down the search, and these fish will congregate in large groups. I will still fish slatersville because its so close, but that place is mostly shallow and relies so heavily on cover and there isnt a ton of structure to be found. So once vegetation starts to die off fish tend to scatter. There are a couple of points where they will hold on but for the most part you are trying to get one or two here and there. On a good day you get some sun and you get a bunch cruising the shallows looking for food and warmth. Places like that covering water works best.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 01:44:04 PM »
@Brazzy  @metz12  I also have noticed the sub-emergent vegetation is in the process of dying in the shallower ponds. This will cause a drop in dissolved oxygen, and will cause the fish to be in a funk for a couple of weeks. This may be why you have "trouble" this time of year. I agree with Brazzy, try a deeper lake with less weeds and concentrate on points and humps near deeper water.     

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 2lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1987 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 02:14:46 PM »
Awesome tips guys! Will do for sure. I usually end up always fishing in the shallow water, with grass, and junk. I have to get more confident in the deeper water for sure. That is honestly probably why I have trouble in the colder temps, because I focus on too shallow of water. Most of the lakes I fish have a max depth of 15' or so. Some are less. Some with a 30' hole as well. I do fish offshore, and I love fishing offshore covering water with a spinnerbait, chatterbait, and topwater at times, but it has to be a consistent grass flat, or rocky field of some sort in that 4-8' range. When I am on my motor with my little graph trolling around in 20-30 FOW with a jig is where I fail all the time.

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 02:31:16 PM »
@metz12 It's ok to fish a shallow lake in the fall or Winter as long as you target areas close to deeper water. My best winter spot has a maximum depth of 14 or 15 feet, but I catch fish on humps and ridges that are 5 to 8 feet deep next to those deep spots. Deep is a relative term, it's doesn't need to be 30 feet.

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 03:07:19 PM »
100% deep is relative. I like lakes that will go to 25+ feet because I feel like then changes are so much more obvious and locally they arent that big so its not hours of idling around looking for the sweet spot. In places where the changes are more subtle, the fish will still gravitate toward the subtle change but it wont stand out to you as much. If you look at a map of a place like singletary and had never fished it before you could easily circle a handful of places where they could be, and you'd probably be right. IF I do that to Pascoag (I know Metz likes it there so I pulled up navionics on it) I see some transitions that I would key in on , but Im hoping that a 1-2 foot transition is whats drawing them there vs a transition from 10-12 to 20-25 is what I would look for in the deeper lakes. Its the same concept, just more pronounced. The other piece of it is that idling over a spot in 25-30 isnt a huge deal to the fish. In 8-15 I feel like you will spook fish and may have to circle back to it later where in 30 feet you can pull back around and start dropping on them right away.

Also, when the vegetation dies its a good time to go over some of your honey holes and hopefully see what makes it special. Typically you will find a rock, or transition from hard bottom to soft bottom or something to make it stand out. I really need to do this on candlewood this winter. Just idle over where the weed line would be and mark some stuff. When it grows in next year then maybe I will have a handful more places to key in on.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 10:19:46 AM »
"Deep is relative" Best quote of the week right there.  :thumbup:

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 06:58:53 PM »
Thanks @Curt - RI

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 09:43:08 AM »
Relative, but not irrelevant. Deeper bodies of water do not react as quickly to changes in temperature as shallower bodies of water. Was able to get out yesterday to a deeper body of water and water temp was 74 and vegetation hadnt really started to die yet. We were still working a full blown summer pattern and the talk of the fall transition is probably a few weeks away for that particular lake. I tried to get them on topwater in the AM up on the shallow flats and got a few, but had a few more that wouldnt commit. The big winner was winding a swinging jig head (biffle head) and dragging a drop shot over rock piles off of deep ledges in 20-25 fow.

Relative in terms how you fish it and the seasonal pattern works but when its early December and temps start dropping sub 30 at night and places like wordens start to ice over and people start putting their boats away, the deep kettle ponds out on the cape will still have water temps in the upper 40's to low 50's and will be on fire. Dont completely dismiss the impact of depth.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 10:33:31 AM »
@Brazzy Nope. Wasn't dismissing it at all.  :nope:

But some people only think of deep water as being 15 ft. or more. Always good to understand the difference between shallow lakes and those that are deeper  :thumbup:

Offline Zero

• Guppy
  • Kiss My Bass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2019, 12:31:23 PM »
Relative is right.  My local pond is around 9-12 feet max.  Mostly smaller fish but caught this beauty bottom bouncing a Neko rig past some pads near a drop off in about 3.5-4 ft. from the bank...Speaking of 4's.. my spot is the home of 4s.  4 pounder (big for water), 4 ouncer (avg size) and the mighty 4 centimeter (best micro catch)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2019, 02:15:20 PM »
Gotta love those micro bass  ;D

Nice job on the 4 lber.  :thumbup: