Author Topic: 12+ volts but nobody is home  (Read 223 times)

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +70/-0
  • Work to fish. Until I can Fish for work!
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 04 Tracker Avalanche, 115 Mercury
12+ volts but nobody is home
« on: July 10, 2019, 03:14:41 PM »
I have had an interesting year with my boat and last tournament was no exception!

Long story short over the weekend I had a night tournament. I launched my boat and started getting my stuff ready. The typical setup, power up electronics, pull out my rods and fire up the motor. Well that is when it all went south. I sat down to start the motor turned the key EVERY thing BLACK! No lights, No Electronics. nothing...

Tied off to the dock and started looking for a blown fuse, couldn't find anything in the dark. I ended running the livewell wires to the TM batteries and said screw it thats all I need to fish.
Got home and tested the battery. Reads fully charged on a volt meter as soon as I touch anything to it the volts drop to almost nothing. I had to laugh because I was like what the heck no warning and it just goes... Then I looked at the date sticker on the Optima battery and it was 7 years old. Guess that was a good life!
-Mitz

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +70/-0
  • Work to fish. Until I can Fish for work!
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 04 Tracker Avalanche, 115 Mercury
Re: 12+ volts but nobody is home
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 08:37:45 AM »
Picked up a new battery and traded in the another old one so I could test further. Found out that the battery might not be bad...  :hmm:

After hooking up the new battery and testing everything to make sure it wasn't something in the boat. I started trying a few things with the old battery. What I could figure out is that the negative post has dead spots on it. Since the volt meter comes to a point only hits a narrow pin point spot so it reads fine. Anything like a terminal collar that takes up a larger surface area doesn't show voltage. I could use the front post of the Optima but think I'll play it safe and just keep the new one... Guess this is the year to bleed money.  :facepalm:
-Mitz

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 10:42:36 AM »
7 years is a good run for a battery, you would be on borrowed time if you kept it!

Offline Bob W - RI

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +96/-0
  • Get the NET !!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 7.19 lb LMB. Amos Lake, CT 2014
  • My Boat: Bass Tracker PT175
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 01:25:39 PM »
Glad it sounds like its all set now. Did you replace your trailer tiedown?

Bob W.
Snack Time !     Get the Net !  ><((((º>

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 10:52:07 AM »
As Joe said, 7 years was a good run for that battery. That's pretty average for AGM batteries!