Author Topic: Frog Practice  (Read 251 times)

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 2lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1987 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
Frog Practice
« on: June 11, 2019, 09:46:59 AM »
So after a few trips out I strung up my 7'6" dobyns rod and fastest gear ratio reel with some 50lb braid and have been practicing throwing the frog. I can see how it gets really addicting. I have only managed a few swipes and one Slime Dart on it so far. I am looking for good spots to start throwing a frog more to actually land a bass or 2 on one. Most lakes around me have pads and thick vegetation so should I just go out there and see what happens? Anything good to look for when chucking the frog around?

Thanks for the advice!

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
Re: Frog Practice
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 10:54:08 AM »
I like hot weather and warm water best for frogging, and i like fishing pads the best!

The best frogging is ahead of us  8)

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: 2018 Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 12:14:42 PM »
So addicting. It combines some of the best parts of bass fishing. First is the topwater blow up I mean who doesn't love that. Then the hook set. Oh man.. its awesome because you get to/need to jack them pretty good to punch that frog through their lips on a long cast and get them turned and moving through the vegetation. Swindle says "Y'all agree that setting the hook is the best part of bass fishing? Slack line em should be on a T-shirt. A hook set should sound like a .22 and a lightning strike WAAPPPOOOOWWWWWW. If you aint broken a few rods you aint setting the hook right".  .. and then the size. Man you get some quality fish on frogs. Enough of that... on to some of the things I have learned... mostly the hard way.

The first is the rod position. I mix it up. Rod tip down I can make the frog walk a lot better. Rod tip up, I get better hook sets. Most of that is because you are often drifting/moving so if your tip is down the braid is intermingling with pad stems so your hookset has to cut 17 lily pads before you are actually putting pressure on fish. So depending on the vegetation and how I am trying to present it I will change rod position. Either way, when the frog gets hit I reel down and make sure hes got it before I jack them and the tip is always high on the set.

As for where to throw them, people will throw them in open water to the muckiest of the mucky situations. I tend to shy away from frogs in open water just because I tend to prefer open hooks in open water and try to only use weedless applications if I am forced to so in open water I would opt for a walking bait over a frog but you will hear tons of people have success that way. For me, I am looking to make long casts and cover water. I will often have a couple of flipping sticks on the deck ready to go because the places I would use each arent far apart. I am looking for vegetation. If it is super thick from top to bottom then the frog wins working it around edges and openings. If the mat is thick and is a canopy I would rather flip something that will get to them than make them bust through the canopy. RI has so many shallow weedy ponds with mucky bottoms that come mid summer frogs really start to take over. We are really getting into the heat of it now where this point forward in the year if a place has vegetation I will have a frog at the ready.

As for the frog itself I know Ive talked about this one, but I've gotten a few more on this frog the other night and every one is just pegged. As gimmicky as it sounds, the Boom Boom frog from Stanford baits really is an awesome frog and its been catching on quite a bit. It has a lot of cool features and is very well built with excellent components. The first thing people mention is the "frog fur". I thought it was stupid, but the hook up ratio on this frog is unlike anything I have seen. I was a spro bronze eye guy for a while, then a booyah pad crasher guy for a while because I didnt see much of a difference.. now Im all boom boom and maybe its because of that velcro. I dont know.  Now by no means does the velcro catch a fish. The reason they gave behind the velcro was that when you set the velcro sticks to their lips and will ensure the frog comes out head first which means the hooks are going in the right direction. Especially if you do like I do and reel down first to see if you feel the fish has it. What that is also doing is spinning the frog around if its backwards in their mouth. Its not uncommon when you miss a fish to find the line wrapped around the hooks, which basically means the frog came out of their mouth backwards. With this frog every fish Ive caught has either had the hooks buried near the crushers or both straight through the lip. So as stupid as I thought some of the features are it made me eat my words.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 12:50:52 PM »
Simply throw it in and around cover (mostly pads), twitch and set the hook when it goes under. Don't listen to all the crap about counting to two or three, fish don't have hands, when they bite it, it's in their mouth. @ProvidenceBassHunter and I caught about 20 out of 32 on frogs last week. It's on.
Owner, Toad Hunter Spinnerbaits