Author Topic: 91 non-ethanol octane ok for 90hp 2 stroke  (Read 786 times)

Offline senkosam

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +3/-1
  • Northeastbass.Com rocks!
    • View Profile
91 non-ethanol octane ok for 90hp 2 stroke
« on: May 28, 2019, 01:33:13 PM »
I've been having carburetor problems at least every few years and contacted Mercury about using non-ethanol gas as well as additives for my 1986 motor. He said put in non-ethanol if possible along with a short list of additives for smoother running. The only problem is having to go 15 mi. out of the way to a different county where it hasn't been outlawed and have to pay for expensive 91 octane gas. He also said 93 would be alright but never higher.

The boat is ready for testing and the first thing I'm going to do is fill up the tank and add Mercury 2-stroke 50:1 oil  rather than the cheaper brand at Walmart. Been dying to get that boat on plane for over 2 years as well as fish my local lake with it.

Another interesting thing of note I just found out: cover you tire sidewalls when boat/trailer not in use because increased sun damage will cause an increase in dry rot.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 01:41:20 PM by Curt - RI »

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
Re: 91 non-ethanol octane ok for 90hp 2 stroke
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 09:36:25 AM »
I always used sta-bil marine in my two strokes and always had good luck. Todays gas goes bad alot faster than the old days.

Problem with carburetors is they gum up if not used often.  You should also run a de-carber or cleaner once or twice a year.
But in some cases the only option is to manually clean the carbs! 

Offline senkosam

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2019, 01:01:49 PM »
But in some cases the only option is to manually clean the carbs!

Don't have a clue how to do that.  :nope:

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 01:43:16 PM »
We don't have the option og non-ethanol gas here in RI, so we're stuck using it.

I have a 2007 Yamaha 150 HP two stoke that has carbs. From day one I have used Startron fuel stabilizer in every tank of gas and have had zero problems with the carbs. Even my spark plugs last me three or four seasons before being replaced!  :nod:

Offline senkosam

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 02:01:53 AM »
I started using Startron or another additive a few years ago but too late. I never installed the water separator near the gas tank while the boat was in the shop, but now don't need it as long as I use the additive and non-ethanol gas.