Author Topic: Old is new again  (Read 221 times)

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +12/-0
    • View Profile
Old is new again
« on: May 18, 2019, 01:32:03 PM »
Went to a lake with @ProvidenceBassHunter I haven't fished in 5 or 6 years after a weed-kill wrecked the fishing there. The lake is back to what it once was and the fish were biting the same baits they used to. We landed 28 Bass, numerous Perch, Pickerel and even caught some Crappie in full spawning colors. This is why I keep fishing logs, you can get dialed in within minutes of hitting the water.
Owner, Toad Hunter Spinnerbaits

Offline ProvidenceBassHunter

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • If you dont bass fish then why are you talking to
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: Huge 4 pounder it was more like a 10
  • My Boat: Kayak
Re: Old is new again
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 09:57:11 AM »
Good overall day everyone was hungry crappie, Bass, perch and @toadhunter personal favorite the pickerel lol. Classic day of fishing tho bring 5+ rods then 30 min into the day zero in on what they want then end up throwing one bait the rest of the day. No big prespawn females tho  :(

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 10:16:15 AM »
Glad to see whatever lake this is has gotten back to normal! Weed kills can surely wreak havoc with fishing.  :yes:  :crying:

Offline senkosam

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +3/-0
  • Northeastbass.Com rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 01:50:22 AM »
Never heard of a weedkill except in a local lake where too many triploid carp killed too many weeds and hurt the fishing.
Nice to hear you did good.

Offline metz12

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 2lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1987 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 07:44:02 PM »
The weed kill happens a lot around here in RI to us. A lot of the lakes that have a lot of residential homes gets the weed kill treatment. I have had good luck though catching fish right after one was done to a big lake that I frequent here in RI.

Offline senkosam

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +3/-0
  • Northeastbass.Com rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 08:02:46 PM »
Oh, you mean with pesticides? That happens every year in spring at Greenwood L. NY/NJ. paid for by the homeowners assoc. I practiced fished a week before a tournament with my partner and found good spots - leaving the areas after at least one bass was caught. Fished the tournament and all spots were devoid of weeds after weed killers were used and a harvester swept the lake near shorelines. We caught zip except a big northern pike I had to follow around using the trolling motor until it broke my line. >:(