Author Topic: I will always wonder how many pros/ amateurs had prior knowledge beforehand.  (Read 177 times)

Offline senkosam

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +3/-0
  • Northeastbass.Com rocks!
    • View Profile
Years ago my friends and I went to a weigh-in sponsored by BASS. As I've indicated in a previous post about pros pushing products that turn out to be defective, Woo Daves is one angler I have no respect for and will always wonder if he had scouts that fished the week before telling where to fish on the Hudson R. in the late 80's which allowed him to come in first.  Being a southern boy, how would he know which creek miles from the launch was hot unless tipped off beforehand?

Being a life member of BASS, the week before the tournament I got two calls from strangers asking if I wanted to fish the river, which I refused, but it made me wonder if they worked for one of the contestants. Makes you wonder how many celebs won years ago using prior knowledge in tournaments held on large waters they never fished before. Cheating was reported in BassMaster magazine such as the case of two brothers who transported large bass to a lake from their home state - a species not found in that state the tournament was held - which they put them in cages before the contest. They were banned for life from fishing BASS tournaments once it was discovered they cheated.

I do believe the majority of pro anglers are most definitely talented and won because they deserved the win, but a few  others I'm not so sure of....at least until the rules became very strict and spelled out after the 1980's. In other cases criminal prosecutions entered the picture once laws were enacted in each state. Here are examples :
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/cheaters-never-win-5-times-angler-tournament-cheaters-lost/
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:36:43 PM by senkosam »

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
No doubt in my mind that back in the day that happened all the time. More recently? I dont know. Between the graphing and charts and internet with all kinds of fishing apps. Im pretty sure community holes are easy to locate and with the technology we have today its pretty easy to just look at a map and really start to narrow down your search. They are also given a fair amount of practice time. Also you are seeing it become more and more popular to not use hooks in practice. They usually catch 1 or 2 to get a look at the quality and then start to use hitchhikers and remove hooks specifically because they dont want to pressure the fish. I am pretty sure that the pros today would prefer people not go out and swing on fish before the tournament.

What is interesting is the MLF rules and how little they can research and talk to each other. I have no idea how they can monitor that but thats pretty cool and try to keep it as fair as possible. What they do with the smaller events is even cooler because they legit have no idea where they are going.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
One funny story from a recent trip. We fished a pond on a Thursday where there was going to be a tournament on that Saturday ( was not part of the tournament, but was aware of it). There was an angler out there who was very experienced in fishing that body of water practicing for the tournament. However, his practice was a bit unorthodox. He spent the morning prospecting some of his waypoints and places where he felt like could win him the tournament (fair enough). When he felt satisfied with his spots he turned his attention to community holes. We were joking with him like well you really dont need a a lot of confirmation that you can get fish on those spots. His response was that he was there to beat up the community hole and put pressure on it so that it wouldnt be so hot on tournament day. That completely blew my mind. I am happy I dont tournament fish as much as I used to.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline senkosam

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +3/-0
  • Northeastbass.Com rocks!
    • View Profile
I am happy I dont tournament fish as much as I used to.

You and me both! I could tell you stories ......
At least I learned a heck of a lot from many good anglers that were true sportsmen and gentlemen, as expensive as it was.