Author Topic: How many rods do you keep on your boat?  (Read 1412 times)

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 2lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1987 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
How many rods do you keep on your boat?
« on: May 09, 2019, 04:23:17 PM »
So I have of recent been bringing a lot more rods with me out on the boat this year. Whether it be spinning or baitcasting setups. I often times only end up using one, or 2 or at most 3 rods during an outing, and the rest go into the cockpit taking up room. Often times, If I think I should tie on another bait, I dont because that would involve me breaking out my tackle boxes, stopping fishing, losing my spot, and I continue to grind it out on whatever I already have tied on. Then, if I DO change out something, say a beaver style creature bait to a jig, I doubt myself that it will catch fish. Being when I rig everything up at home I have the most confidence in what I have pre rigged. I normally just end up throwing what is on the rod, and constantly wondered if I changed color, baits or presentation what would happen.

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +12/-0
    • View Profile
Re: How many rods do you keep on your boat?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 06:24:42 PM »
@metz12 I do roughly the same. I bring five rods but mostly catch with two. The problem is you don't know which baits they'll bite. In today's fishing world when we have bait specific rods, it just makes sense to bring several and use what works for the day.
Owner, Toad Hunter Spinnerbaits

Offline senkosam

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +3/-1
  • Northeastbass.Com rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 09:45:36 PM »
When I fished tournaments, I would take 6 rods rigged with different lures for different presentations and structure types I knew I was going to fish that day. Lure colors were the usual confidence colors I caught fish with, never needing more than a few for each lure type. The only reason for the tackle box is for spares.

use what works for the day
to quote toadhunter

I'm sure you've fished different lures with confidence. Lures serve to answer questions-of-the-day which include:
1. most important - WHERE fish were found
2. what was used to find bass suggests a pattern or patterns that includes how lures were used to provoke strikes.

Anglers are fact finders, never doubting their tools and never expecting a sure thing on the water. If your partner is catching fish, take note of how deep his lure caught fish, the lure's design and the speed the lure was worked. The same thing goes for you and then make sure a rod is ready with the same lure or lure type.

If I've learned anything it's that on any one day, fish locations vary as do the lures that catch them. On some days I can only locate fish in three areas; on other days (in the same water), I might find fish in five areas and come back the next day and repeat the catch in similar areas.

Cast with confidence whatever you believe can catch fish, keeping your options open to trial & error.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 12:40:46 AM by senkosam »

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 05:44:59 AM »
@senkosam , when I fished tournaments I based my lure choices on seasonal patterns, knowing for decades of past experiences and countless notes what depth would be most productive. Then I would break those down to confidence lures and colors that match the prevalent bait in that waterway. 

Take today for instance; I know fish will be in pre-spawn and spawn conditions so I will throw spinnerbaits and shallow crankbaits in natural colors (clear water) around vegetation for pre-spawn fish. I will also use a fluke-style bait on shoreline cover for spawners and also a hollow-bodied frog because fish on beds can't resist a frog.

I'll let you know how the day goes, fingers crossed.

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: 2018 Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 08:49:22 AM »
I keep 14 rods in my boat. Now that is not to say that I use 14 rods on any one given day, but they have their purpose. I typically have 5 or 6 rods on my deck at any one time and those will rotate as day goes one but so much of it is about the body of water I am fishing. Depth, species I am targeting, water clarity, structure or cover available. I have slatersville 15 minutes from my house. The 5 or 6 rods I have on my deck at slatersville will not be the same 5 or 6 on my deck if I were to go to Singletary or Webster, and that will be different if I am targeting smallies out on the cape vs up north vs out on candlewood. There may be some overlap, but it wont be the same 5 or 6. The biggest difference is the line that is spooled on them. I do have some rods specific for purpose like a big cranking rod that really isnt great for much else. However the line makes the difference. I have some with heavy braid (40+) for frogging/flipping veg/big topwater. some with 20+ fluoro for flipping around wood and rock, 12-15lb flouro for cranking, smaller jigs, chatterbait, etc, light fluoro (8-12) for spy baits and jerkbaits, and a couple of finesse rods with super light braid (8-12) with a fluoro leader and a rod spooled with 10-12 mono for lighter topwater and small crankbaits or ones I dont want to get too deep like a squarebill.

One thing I do notice is that if I have more than 6 rods on my deck, that means I am scrambling and that is my sign that I should take a minute to regroup and clear some stuff out and re-evaluate what I am looking to do. Usually this is where I take a deep breath and just go with my high confidence bait and not worry about anything else. In a tournament situation, this is where I go flip docks and grind my 5.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline senkosam

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 09:57:35 AM »
Excellent Brazzy!

Toad, I agree with everything you stated except:
Then I would break those down to confidence lures and colors that match the prevalent bait in that waterway
and
I know fish will be in pre-spawn and spawn conditions so I will throw spinnerbaits and shallow crankbaits in natural colors (clear water) around vegetation for pre-spawn fish. I will also use a fluke-style bait on shoreline cover for spawners and also a hollow-bodied frog because fish on beds can't resist a frog.

Natural is as natural does and in my experience unnatural lure designs and colors do as well if not better. There are hundreds of examples in that most lures have unnatural movements and catch bass or any other species using colors that fall into three visual categories: bright (fluorescent, flash), subdued (translucent and even clear) and dark (black, opaque). I no longer limit myself based on what bass may be feeding on but concentrate on lure function, motion and the best presentation for the moment.

Coincidence is the bane of anglers, meaning we assume something is true based on coincidentally catching fish on this or that's based on our bias - mine included. Nothing wrong with that if if helps us chose the right lures for the moment, but not something I can accept as written in stone.

As far as any lure being irresistable, the great majority are not, but rather, anglers provoke fish to strike - fish aren't waiting in ambush to strike any one lure and in fact feel lure vibrations coming their way not knowing what the object making them is. Vibration is everything, fish recognition of a lure - zero. (Frogs included which is a category of lure that comes in many designs.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 10:09:12 AM by senkosam »

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 12:34:47 PM »
@senkosam  The plan worked fairly well, landed 9 bass in the compressed amount of time I had. Caught fish on every bait I mentioned with the exception of the crankbait. One interesting note was that the one fish I did catch off a bed looked very gnarly and beat up, like it had spawned days ago. Also caught (but don't count) about 15 pickerel but I don't care much for them because they destroy your tackle.

Offline senkosam

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 01:47:24 PM »
Toad
Variety is the spice of fishing and you proved it !

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 08:03:38 PM »
I keep at least 15 rods in my boat, but typically start any day with 8-10 on the front deck. This lets me test various baits and techniques to narrow it down as the day goes on. BY the end of any given day, I am usually down to using only a couple of them.

As for natural colors, I understand this concept and agree that natural baits catch bass. But I also agree with @senkosam regarding odd colors working very well.

I use many different baits in obnoxious colors and patterns that work, really, really well.

Offline old kraut

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 03:36:13 PM »
this time of year im bringing the whole store. still trying many different baits and hate changing rigs, so i set up seven or eight different presentations at home and throw them all until i find a best combo, then tune it in, color, size, etc. also should mention im more of a large mouth florida type so im still working on dialing it in in the north.

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 04:14:48 PM »
this time of year im bringing the whole store. still trying many different baits and hate changing rigs, so i set up seven or eight different presentations at home and throw them all until i find a best combo, then tune it in, color, size, etc. also should mention im more of a large mouth florida type so im still working on dialing it in in the north.

Its mostly Largemouth in Southern New England where a lot of us here are from. Where are you located? We can give you a hand with a lot of colors and things to throw up here in the great white north  ;D Also, welcome to the forum!

Offline old kraut

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 08:09:35 PM »
hi, many thanks for the response and the offer. always an interesting puzzle to crack. i love the chase but would be happy with a little more result. am fishing western ma near pittsfield and richmond. happy to travel a bit schedule allowing. regards, k

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 09:12:05 PM »
Oh, so you are not so far away from a few of us in Southern RI. I know @Brazzy fishes a bit in Mass, but I am not sure how far west he travels.

I know a ton of people who like to fish out on cape cod for the Smallies, but I am sure you can get on some largemouth action over there!

I am partial to natural colors. Watermelon Red Flake is my favorite. Especially in clear water. Stick baits/stick worms/senkos are always good, and I also like the Salty B Bug from Lure Parts Online in the same color. I have had luck with the Missile D Bomb as well.

Thats your flipping, and finnessey stuff. When its windy, natural colored, or straight black Chatterbait or Spinnerbaits are my favorite. Also in low light conditions. I pretty much only throw 3 colors in those baits, Natural green/bluegill white and all black.

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: 2018 Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 09:34:56 AM »
The furthest west I have fished in MA really is quabbin rez. For people who dont have a boat I think that is one of the best deals out there. $40 for the boat, $6 to park and you can have yourself an awesome day. As for "rods on the deck" when you go there you kind of have to pack light and bring multi-purpose rods if you can.  There still is some time before the smallies go deep. They are likely spawning in the near future but you will have a few good weeks (probably through June) of them up shallow before they go deep. Once they go deep that place gets real tough to fish without electronics and such to find them.

Outside of that most of the lakes I fish are more central MA. Western MA nearly 2 hours for me. If I am going to travel that far it might as well be candlewood or the lakes region of NH. The cape is a lot of fun but it really is feast or famine. After that long of a drive it better be feast. From Lee MA to Candlewood its 1 hour 40 minutes. Not bad for one of the best fisheries in new england. On top of that it may be in the wheel house of a southern angler. Its not the super clear water smally lake that you hear about up here. It is loaded with milfoil and you can get them flipping milfoil and punching grass all summer. You can find smallies in greater success out deep during the summer, but thats not always the easiest to do. Its nice to always have a fallback plan that is high percentage. Its the one place that I will have a bunch of rods on the deck because you will want to have a heavy flipping stick, a fairy wand, and everything in between at the ready.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 10:16:20 AM »

@old kraut This has been especially true this year. The weather has been so stinking erratic, it has everything all topsy turvy, so it can take a bit to figure things out before narrowing it down more precisely.