Author Topic: Checked out some CT fishing yesterday  (Read 758 times)

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 2lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1987 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
Checked out some CT fishing yesterday
« on: May 05, 2019, 02:34:53 PM »
I met a guy at a local pond that I frequent every once in a while from the bank when I dont want to take my boat out, or after work in the afternoon last year. He ONLY throws monster swimbaits. The smallest bait in his arsenal is a 4" Wakebait called the shellcracker. Anyways, we got to be buddies and I took him out on the boat after he asked me if I had ever fished a couple certain really good lakes in Ct. I have never really had luck during the day at one, and the 2nd ive had a bit of luck in the evening, into the night and I had never fished these 2 bodies of water this early in the year. Both lakes are in the same general area, but one is crazy deep, and the other is not as deep, but has some 9ish foot water. Anyways, they where both right around 60 deg water temp. We got off the first body of water, and went to the 2nd, and right around 9:30 my buddy nailed what we thought was an easy 6 1/2 pounds. But it had a pretty skinny belly on it. Also he said the fish had no fight in it, just pretty much set the hook and reeled it in. It was really only 5 pounds! It was shorter, but had a head of a bigger class of fish. Do you guys think that this fish had already spawned prior to all this rain, clouds and cool weather we have been having? I know I have a buddy that fished a local body of water to me in RI before this stretch of bad weather and the water was 61deg, but the whole pond now is pretty much all pre spawn. It seems odd that this fish would have spawned this early. I thought we where just leading into it.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Checked out some CT fishing yesterday
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 05:09:36 PM »
I seriously doubt they have spawned out yet. The only exception might be some very large fish, which tend to spawn earlier than most of the smaller bass.

EIther way, a nice fish  :thumbup:

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 09:46:23 PM »
It did not seem to be beat up like a total post spawn fish either. Very odd as well how it didn't fight. I need to get one next!!

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: 2018 Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 09:08:48 AM »
It is crazy there is a cult like following of giant swimbaits. I get it, they catch big fish and in particular they do really well early in the year. I just dont have the stomach for it. In particular early in the season. I just want to get out there and get on some fish so the idea of going for broke is just a tough concept for me. It is funny that the guys who go in on it, go ALL IN on it. I know a few guys like this and they fish a lot and are completely ok going home empty handed and have nothing but 2 rods on their deck and both have giant swimbaits and just chuck them all day everyday. I just struggle with it because I am constantly trying new techniques, trying to learn, throwing baits that give me a better understanding of the bottom composition and the contours of the water I'm fishing. When I get bit I want to know why. I want to find a way to replicate it. Its tough this time of year because those guys are all over instagram and facebook and posting pics of some biguns. Meanwhile, I havent broken 4lbs yet this year so I am a bit salty. Which is fine, this was the exact same story as last year where I didnt get my first 5+ until early June but once I did I exploded and kept putting really quality fish in the boat all the way through to the end of November. SO I know there is opportunity to throw these things early in the year and get a giant. Just after a long winter of waiting to get my fill I just dont have the ability to go out there with the mindset of all or nothing. Kudos to the guys that do.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 09:47:59 AM »
What he said ^^^^

With the limited amount of fishing time I get, the last thing I want to do is to go stand in my deck chunking and winding monster baits all day long, hoping to get one or two big bites.  :nope:

Like @Brazzy said, I get it... to a certain degree. But I want to catch fish. Plain and simple.

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 10:24:16 PM »
As well as me. Plus fishing Tourneys, I want to get fish 5 fish in the box. I dont want to go into the ramp with no fish because I just chucked around an 8" bait. Also, I think his bait box and rod and reel combos where worth more then my boat on their own! (The price for one bait though also scares me away!)

There is a couple 4"-5" baits that intrigue me though. I may end up snagging one for night fishing, because they work so well at night, all the wake and glide baits.

I am trying to get him on this forum so he can talk to us about that whole Niche within the bass fishing world.

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 08:15:45 AM »
That is one I do throw. The 4"-5" bluegill wake baits (like the shellcracker) are great around blue gill beds when they are spawning. The 7-9-12" ones can get over $100 each and that is pretty insane. I do have an 9" MS Slammer, a 8" Spro BBZ and a Spro Rat. I think I chucked the spro rat a couple of casts and that was it for me. The rest havent seen the light of day. Maybe some day.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 09:19:30 AM »
There is no way I am spending $80, $100 or more for a bait. Nope. Not happening  :nope:

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 09:53:54 AM »
Price wise thats a lot, but I could see doing that. We spend a lot more for chances to make memories. It definitely has its place. I could totally see going to a place like Chickamauga, or Fork, or Okeechobee, or El Salto and just being like "I'm not here for a 3 pounder, I want a giant!".  I just cant see spending 8 hours chucking it around Pascoag Reservoir.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 09:59:35 AM »
I just cant see spending 8 hours chucking it around Pascoag Reservoir.
  (giggle)

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 10:59:27 AM »
Hey there are some big ol fish in Pascoag Res! The fish in my profile picture came from there. The shellcracker that my buddy Billy was throwing was right around 4" and that intrigued me for sure. Its not huge, just a bigger profile and throws more water. It catches big fish though! I still dont want to spend 25 bucks on a bait though. I have come close to making a couple baits that work similar too those wakebaits. I also have a rendition of a 2 piece MS Slammer I made that does swim very well and has a nice knocking sound.

The spro Rat is also something that looks to be cool, but again, that $30 price tag scares me. I watched @ink_n_metal put on a clinic one night on one that he actually found floating at webster lake in Mass. I picked up a knockoff brand of a smaller rat wake bait online over the winter that was right around $7, so thats a bit easier to swallow.

Also my buddy aaron from @Asori fishing has caught a few good ones on huddlestons this year. There is no doubt that they catch fish, its whether or not you want to put in the cash for the bait, rod and reel combo, and the time of chucking them around.

Once the water warms up and I can fish a bit more at night, I will be trying out some of the bigger topwater baits I have in my collection to try to get some confidence in them.

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 12:08:49 PM »
Sure Pascoag is OK. Ive fished there with some success and got a 5 there. However, I would not call it a giant slayer. It wasnt meant to put down Pascoag, but was talking about an instance where you would be looking for a giant and nothing else. I go to Pascoag, and Im just looking for bites. I mentioned Chickamauga which as of 5/1 has documented 70 10lb+ fish! We dont have anything here that can even compare. So maybe my mind set changes on a fishery like that.

If you are looking for a bluegill wake bait take a look at the Live Target wake bait. I hate Live Target, but that one is ok and isnt crazy priced. A cheaper alternative is to get large keitechs and do the line through pop rivet rig to them with a treble hook. Tackle Supply Depot also has these small tungsten cylinder weights they say are for a carolina rig. I have rigged a 1/8th ounce one of those in a line through pop rivet rig and it worked well on a 5" keitech. Essentially its like making your own Megabass Magdraft.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline metz12

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 04:54:21 PM »
I know you werent doubting Echo. Its a good fishery for around RI. But not filled with the giants like you say. I have seen some big fish though at most tourneys I have fished there, and buddies that went there. Plus the big one I caught. All in the 6 pound range.

I like that idea with the keitech. I may look into it.

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 08:35:24 AM »
If you ever want to try it out let me know. I pour 5" keitechs and I do not salt them. So if you do it weightless they float and essentially become a wake bait. That actually works really well for skipping as it has good weight to it (because of the size of the bait), is streamlined so it skips really well, and there is nothing hard in the rig so if it hits like a pontoon it doesnt make any noise. From there you can experiment with weights. I find 1/8th ounce makes it slow fall and a 1/4 ounce makes it fall a bit faster. Actual keitechs are salted so they already sink a bit and you have to mess with them a bit more and you cant leave them rigged as the salt will rust out the rig.
Bear Hill Baits