Author Topic: New mapping from Garmin???  (Read 688 times)

Offline thedrfish

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
New mapping from Garmin???
« on: March 20, 2019, 12:28:54 PM »
Saw the new Garmin G3 mapping today and now I have to decide which plotter & map to buy. Either the Garmin with G3 Ultra Vision, Lowrance with Navionics or CMap or a Humminbird with Lakemaster. I am leaning towards Garmin because of the partial depth shading and depth range colors.  My concern is the lakes that have been mapped.

Would love to hear from you guys on your thoughts...

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: 2018 Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
Re: New mapping from Garmin???
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 02:51:02 PM »
I would ask if you would be looking to go to the next level of imaging. Humminbird is really falling behind with the 360 imaging. Crazy expensive and really hasnt been changed for the past 6-7 years. Now Lowrance is coming out with live (HD LIVE) imaging to compete with Garmin's panoptix and LiveVU. I have not seen HD live, but the garmin panoptix is unbelievable. I know "game changer" gets thrown around a lot and most of the time its an over used term, but it really is changing how people fish. The last time I fished on a boat with panoptix it turned into a game where we were like cheerleaders rooting for the fish to eat the bait as we watched it on the screen.

Meanwhile I am a very salty Humminbird user because I have not heard anything about them coming out with any type of live imaging. So until they do, I would lean away from Bird. I know this was in a different direction, but for the most part the maps I have seen have been very similar. Rumor is Garmin's maps are a bit more up to date, but for the most part the list that have higher quality maps are pretty similar between Lakemaster, Navionics and Garmin. I just wanted to throw out the next gen of imaging into the conversation because once you go with a brand you are kind of pigeon holed into their products. Right now I kind of feel "stuck" with Humminbird. I have lakemaster and navionics and their lists of HD maps are very similar and the maps themselves are very similar.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 10:53:21 AM by Brazzy »
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Bob W - RI

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +96/-0
  • Get the NET !!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 7.19 lb LMB. Amos Lake, CT 2014
  • My Boat: Bass Tracker PT175
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 07:31:07 PM »
I did a lot of research and just purchased 2 Garmin 93sv units along with the panoptics livescope. The only thing I didn't like was Garmin's lakeview doesn't have any RI lakes unless the lake is in another state too! Like beach pond or wallum lake. Garmin can't use Navioncs maps or cards but they bought Navionics last year!
Snack Time !     Get the Net !  ><((((º>

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 09:15:19 AM »
Have you had a chance to play with the Live Scope at all yet?
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Bob W - RI

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +96/-0
  • Get the NET !!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 7.19 lb LMB. Amos Lake, CT 2014
  • My Boat: Bass Tracker PT175
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 09:17:34 PM »
I haven't played with it yet. I have watched lots of YouTube videos and played with it a BPS in demo mode. My boats at Basspro now getting my 93sv's and livescope installed, and getting my engine break in maintenance done. Can't wait to try it.
Snack Time !     Get the Net !  ><((((º>

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 09:52:35 AM »
Congrats on an awesome purchase. Please let me know how you like it. I recently scored the  original "Live VU" panoptix from someone who upgraded to Live Scope. I have not used it yet this year but have been on other people's boats with it and it really is incredible. The live scope offering an even more detailed view is an incredible thought.
Bear Hill Baits