Author Topic: Winter Schoolie Fishing  (Read 248 times)

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
Winter Schoolie Fishing
« on: March 06, 2019, 11:34:25 AM »
So I know that rivers in CT are notorious for having just out of control amazing days from December through March catching schoolie stripers. I am curious if anyone here has ever done it. It sounds like a blast and have read articles about it, but in all honesty thats a lot of water to cover. The one person I know who has done it simply says "just look for all the boats". However, thats a long drive and it awful cold out there to just roll the dice. Anyone have any info on this?
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Winter Schoolie Fishing
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 02:39:13 PM »
I'm friends with Rich Zaleski, a retired outdoor writer in CT. He fishes through the winter for stripers in the Housatonic River (The Housy).

You can read his blog at http://www.richz.com/fishing/blog/

He posts really regularly with reports on his fishing trips. As of late, it has been so cold, and the fishing so terrible, that even he has stayed home. I would seriously not do this unless I was going with someone I knew who knew the waters and the sweet spots to fish.

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 05:06:13 PM »
Thank you for the info. I agree on not taking a flyer out there on my own. Its just not worth the risk. I definitely need someone who has been there. The only catch is that I only know of one person who has done it and it turned out to be an unbelievable day. They went to candlewood in early january in the morning and got on a school of giant smallies in the morning and then stopped at the housy in the afternoon and got on some schoolies. I know thats insane to do in january, but I am just dying to swing on some fish.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 09:27:01 AM »
I worked with a guy that fished for schoolies in Norwich until he couldn't launch due to ice. I heard of 100 fish days and some big fish also.

I haven't heard much about it lately. A couple weeks ago i went by there and didn't see any boats out there. A while back you could walk across the boats there was so many out there!

Offline bumper678

• Guppy
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6-10 SMB 5-2 Belgrade, ME.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 10:02:12 PM »
I usually hit the Thames in mid Oct til about mid Dec for schoolies. Usually just hang out at the Pequot Bridge or the island just south of it and smash em pretty good. Haven't tried in Jan, as the boat is usually winterized by then, and just settle for watching the Outdoor Channel to scratch the itch.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 11:00:19 AM »
I usually hit the Thames in mid Oct til about mid Dec for schoolies. Usually just hang out at the Pequot Bridge or the island just south of it and smash em pretty good. Haven't tried in Jan, as the boat is usually winterized by then, and just settle for watching the Outdoor Channel to scratch the itch.

I've been to the Thames only once, with someone else who fished it pretty regularly during the early Winter months. The day we went it was pretty slow and very cold, but we still managed to catch a few stripers!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:46:07 AM by Curt - RI »

Offline bumper678

• Guppy
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6-10 SMB 5-2 Belgrade, ME.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 12:41:26 PM »
I;ve been to the Thames only once, with someone else who fished it pretty regularly during the early Winter months. The day we went it was pretty slow and very cold, but we still managed to catch a few stripers!

Curt, the Thames can be stingy at times. I have had 100 fish days and the next pretty much skunked. The bite seems to be best on overcast/foggy days. Absolutely wrecked 2 whopper ploppers this year between the schoolies and blues. 

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 09:47:08 AM »
Absolutely wrecked 2 whopper ploppers this year between the schoolies and blues.

Sounds like a blast! Maybe sometime I'll get back out there again with someone who knows it well. The buddy that I fished it with years ago has moved to Texas  :crying: