Author Topic: When Boxes Look Like This  (Read 868 times)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: When Boxes Look Like This
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 11:59:33 AM »
I havent dove too much into these yet in fishing but a quick search I found that Kast King is made by the same manufacturer that makes Daiwa?

There really are only a handful of companies that make the vast majority of the tackle we use. Reels, rods, lures. Period.

KastKing and Piscifun are two companies that offer very good quality stuff for reasonable prices.

Offline senkosam

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +3/-0
  • Northeastbass.Com rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 01:08:28 PM »
I went to a seminar years ago in NJ and celebs like Van Dam, Jimmie Houston and Denny Brauer and each had a q&a after their talks. Denny stated that Daiwa asked him to test a reel they were planning on selling for a decent price. He liked it and was asked to promote it. The price increase of $100 over the original price Denny questioned and was puzzled by. Even he didn't think the increase was justified but promoted it anyway. It sold. Amazing how much influence pro anglers have on sales - even Bill Dance who is one of the biggest hacks I ever watched and then stopped watching. It's no wonder fishing shows are rare.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 01:10:25 PM by senkosam »

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 02:28:23 PM »
I love listening to these guys talk and in particular to talk to them off camera. Some of them just promote their stuff no matter what, but the ones who can just talk openly you just get so much out of. Thats why I find KVD and Ike tough to listen to sometimes because there is great information in there, but with KVD you need to wade through the strike king/quantum sales pitch to get to the meat of what hes saying and the same goes with IKe on just about everything he pushes. Just a mouthful of Ike Live, Rapala, Abu, Reel Snot, etc. At the end of the day its good info.. just so much selling, and I get it.. its your livelihood and you need to make your paper. Its just so much better when they can be open or are talking about a technique that involves baits and such that they arent sponsored by. I really like listening to Swindle. Yes he is entertaining, but he is sponsored by Rapala and Zoom but is not shy at all about talking about whatever is working.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline senkosam

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +3/-0
  • Northeastbass.Com rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 09:51:47 PM »
but he is sponsored by Rapala and Zoom but is not shy at all about talking about whatever is working.

That's the reason I liked watching Brauer's show - more about how and much less about product. Same for Jerry Mckinnis whose tips I still use today. KVD after his talk was worth taking notes - and I did - but Woo Daves wouldn't give me the time of day unless I bought something off his table outside the seminar hall. In fact, a friend of mine bought one of his expensive rods and it broke first time we fished, the same for the replacement.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:04:34 PM by senkosam »