Author Topic: Whats been your real experience with fish attractants?  (Read 628 times)

Woodseye

Whats been your real experience with fish attractants?
« on: January 15, 2019, 10:37:51 AM »
Most all the plastic baits I use have some type of attractant in them as well as salt. That said I tried a couple brand names that claimed they would increase your catch, I tried megastrike and pro cure trophy bass. My son who fishes with me elected to use nothing additional, we use same line and # test and same lures (Yum-BBB-Berkley-Grandebass-Culprit-and Reaction Innovations) I stayed at it trip after trip with my Q tip and attractant. I caught no more fish, no bigger fish, NO IMPROVEMENT at all. Maybe someone else swears by attractants but it wasn't our opinion that they did anything. Then completely by accident I was using spray dye to create a certain color I couldn't buy, the brand was spike it and it had a strong garlic smell that permeated the plastic. When I dug one out next trip my tackle box smelled like garlic sticks, suddenly I was catching fish steady while he kept trying, a good 4-5 fish for everyone he would catch. He asked for one and things quickly evened up, we also noticed they would hang onto the bait much longer resulting in much higher hook-up ratios. Impressed now, I bought some JJ's garlic dippin oil and it penetrates the plastic the same way with a strong lasting garlic smell, it works the same with increased fish interest and holding. I use clear cause I don't need mess in the boat but it takes away any plastic smell and just smells like garlic not rotten fish as the two attractants did. If you want to rid a new pac of plastics of that plastic smell give this a try it worked for us.....and I tend to be a real doubter of any claims.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Whats been your real experience with fish attractants?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 12:03:25 PM »
I stopped using them years ago for the same reasons. No difference in catch rates, messy to use and a waste of money to buy.

This is just my own opinion, of course, but it works for me to leave scents out of my fishing equation.

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: 2018 Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
Re: Whats been your real experience with fish attractants?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 07:25:55 PM »
I feel like they are cancelling out negatives more than they are adding positives. What I mean by that is if you introduce an offensive odor like gasoline you accidentally got on your hands or if you are a smoker and handle the baits with smokey fingers you do hurt your chances. So that might be the best use of scents. Simply to mask offensive odors. I dont think a fish will swim half way across the lake to come eat your bait just because it smells like garlic, anise, coffee, etc.

The best story I can tell is my father and I trout fishing on opening day. Same rod, reel, line, bait, set up. 100% the exactly the same. We used the exact same power bait too. However year after year I out fished him by a wide margin. Finally a stranger pointed out to him he is a smoker and rolls the powerbait in his stinky smokey hands. He started having me bait his hook for him and it changed his luck immediately. 

Having said that, raw plastisol (the stuff used to make most soft plastics) smells horrible. There is no doubt that at least masking that odor can only help.
Bear Hill Baits