Author Topic: tournament permits  (Read 230 times)

Offline tritonmike

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +3/-0
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
tournament permits
« on: January 18, 2019, 01:05:53 PM »

hey all, I'm hoping to incorporate some rhode island ponds into my wed night trail to make it better for some guys that have to travel real far. i'v been searching the dem site and cant for the life of me find any link or info on permits. i'm hoping someone here can help me out,also some ideas of where to fish them. I know of wordens and watchaug but that's about it. thakns mike p

Offline metz12

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 2lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1987 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
Re: tournament permits
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 01:24:28 PM »
@tritonmike That is awesome you are going to incorporate RI lakes to your schedule. I have been trying to get a partner to fish your club for a couple of years now, but I think I may try it out on my own this year. Too early to tell yet.

@Curt - RI Applies for all the RI and CT tourneys for his club. Hes been doing it for years.

Anyways for lakes, I have a long standing rivalry with Wordens. That place has got my number for sure. Ive fished there 6+ times and cant catch a bass to save my soul.

I like Watchaug though. I won my first tourney there. You catch it on a good day and you can put a really good bag together. But it can be very tough, since it gets so much pressure.

I am not sure how far you are willing to travel into RI, but one of my favorite lakes is Echo Lake in Pascoag. Its a great fishery. My PB was this fall there pre fishing for a tourney. 6Lbs 10oz.

Chapmans in Westerly is a great fishery and close to CT, but again, I cant seem to catch many fish from there. I have caught one bass out of there in the 5 or so times ive been.

You most likely have heard of indian and I love that lake, but it gets HAMMERED by anglers. Small lake, and a ton of fishing pressure. Its also a limit of 10hp.

Johnsons pond or flat river reservoir in coventry is another favorite of mine, but to get in you have to pay $15 to park in a campground.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 02:47:56 PM »
@tritonmike Contact Alan Libby at RI DEM - 401-789-0281. He issues all tourney permits for RI.

I believe that RI has a one tournament per weekend rule for all lakes, just an FYI. This was put into play a few years back when some lakes were getting hammered day after day with tourneys.

As @metz12 mentioned, Watchaug is a great fishery. It had LMB and SMB, and there is a variety of habitat. Great tourney lake. My PB there was a 6 1/2, and I've had many, many 4-6 lb. bass over the years. Typical winning bag for a solo tourney is around 12-14 lbs. Not unusual to catch 15-18 on the right days for 5 fish.

Wordens is an awesome fishery too. over 1000 acres of fishable water, with some really nice LMB. Again, winning weight for 5 fish there will typically be 12-15 lbs.

Echo Lake is also a great place. Vastly different than most RI lakes, since it's rocky and clear, with only small amounts of vegetation.

As for Chapman Pond. Most people have a love/hate relationship with it. Super shallow  (4 feet or less) and it's pretty much un-fishable due to dense weeds by mid May.

Tucker Pond is another lake to consider in southern RI. Close to Wordens Pond. 10 HP limit, but TM use is permitted for boats with bigger outboards.

Indian is another one that @metz12 mentioned, but I have to caution you that the parking there is very, very limited. There is also a 10 HP limit there.

So, my best suggestions would be Watchaug, Wordens, Echo and Tucker, with Tucker being my last choice for a tourney.

There are other lakes in Northern RI, but I'm not as familiar with them as some others here, except for Echo Lake.

Hope this helps  :yes:

Offline metz12

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 2lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1987 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 02:56:33 PM »
@Curt - RI  I was going to mention Tuckers. I have never fished it but I have a buddy that loves it. Produces some great bags as well, but I am not sure how well the lake fishes with a tourney. I have heard of some kayak tourneys on the pond, but that is pretty much it. Slatersville reservoir is another awesome spot in northern RI, and has good parking. I have only fished there once, and not a tourney. But I know of some good 15LB bags that have won tourneys there. I have also heard good things about smith and sayles, but I personally have never fished there.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 03:00:28 PM »
Smith & Sayles used to be a great place to fish, until it got seriously invaded with milfoil. Now they can't seem to get rid of it. Last year it was pretty unbearable once the water warmed up.

Offline tritonmike

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +3/-0
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 03:09:04 PM »

ok thank you for the help i'll see if we can get a few Wednesday night tournies in. we fish from 5pm to 8:30 pm so hopefully he will give us a few.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 03:17:42 PM »
You're welcome!