Author Topic: Fall Fishing Tips  (Read 1061 times)

Offline metz12

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 2lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1987 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
Fall Fishing Tips
« on: September 19, 2018, 09:32:10 PM »
Hi everyone. I need some help with fall fishing. Every time the water gets cool I have such a hard time catching fish. I seem to do much better in the summertime when everyone says its slow! I know the crankbait, jerkbait and other moving baits come in to play, but I have no idea what I am doing honestly when the water gets cool. Fish offshore, shallow, throw big baits, small baits, fish like I normally do and hope for the best? I don't even know what colors work. I know the crayfish/Crawfish whatever they are tend to turn an orange color in the fall, but do I throw an orange and green jig or creature bait? I know it comes down to letting the fish tell me what they want, but I would like to know where I could find fish to see what they want! Thanks a ton guys. I have learned most of what I know about bass fishing from this forum. I appreciate any kind of info you can give me.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 10:18:32 PM by tsukasaxen »

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
Re: Fall Fishing Tips
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 08:56:04 AM »
This is my favorite time of year to fish. Most of my biggest fish have come this time of year but you are not alone in your question. The answer depends greatly on where you are fishing, what species is in it and what the forage is. This isnt like the spring where you can go to every point and catch fish. As temps start to drop fish tend to congregate and leave large percentages of the lakes/ponds lifeless. On larger/deeper lakes with large populations of bait fish basically it becomes a game of find the bait,  find the fish. A rule of thumb that is becoming a bigger and bigger staple in my game is go with the wind. Whatever bank the wind is beating on start there. If you have electronics spend some time idling. I always knew that wind was a big deal, but this year the lake I have primarily been fishing there is a pocket with a steep drop and a hump. If the wind is blowing into that pocket that place is fire. If the wind is going any other direction it is a ghost town. I have never seen anything like it but it reaffirmed my feeling about the wind being a major factor. With that you can take your pick as to what you want to throw to mimic shad, alewife, whatever forage is there. Crankbait, jerkbait, spinner bait, topwater, swimbait, drop shot, etc. I always say "match the hatch" when it comes to color. However, this is one time where that rule may be broken. When you are fishing around large schools of bait and your bait looks exactly like one of the thousands of bait fish then sometimes its better to stand out a bit from the bunch. A retired pro was a huge advocate of a bubble gum colored fluke in that situation. He speculated the pink was seen as a "hot white" but the fish and it just felt it stood out from the group.

When is comes to the shallower/weedier places you will start to see the vegetation start to die off as the water gets colder. Even as it starts to thin out the fish with always relate to the best cover they can find. So visible targets become key as docks, laydowns, brush piles, etc.. those dont go anywhere and as the weeds get scarce those become bigger go-to spots. These are places prime for flipping and as the water gets super cold downsize the presentation a bit, but for now as the temps are starting to drop and they are looking to feed up for winter dont be afraid to flip larger profile baits. I really like a tube or a Biospawn vilecraw this time of year because it still has action, but also has a really wide profile and is pretty beefy. Throw a punch skirt on there and you really have a large profile. They are looking for big meals right now. They want maximum calories with minimum effort. Once it starts getting super cold start to downsize for a less aggressive presentation.

As the water starts to get super cold (50-55 and below) I really look toward fishing for smallies exclusively. Largemouth here in the north are just so lazy and lethargic that it makes for long cold days on the water and yes you can get bites, but its a grind. Meanwhile even into December you can go out to deep humps and blister smallies with blade baits, ice jigs, damiki rig, etc as they are still pretty active until we start to get ice.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline metz12

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 02:30:31 PM »
Thanks a Bunch Brazzy!! I love the wind tip. I have never gotten it to work, being I have been told, always fish windblown banks, because bait will get pushed up there. I don't really know if it has to do with a change in the season but I will give it a shot. I am getting better with fishing though, and finding fish, and bait, so I will go out and try. Also the flipping bait tip. One of my favorite baits to throw. Big fan of the Salty B Bug and the Missile D bomb. I've never tried the vile craw, but I love the biospawn exostick. Thats probably my favorite senko style bait.

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 08:48:29 AM »
I love the D bombs. I actually pour my own D bombs and baby d bombs. Fantastic flipping bait and it is my go to for punching. Right now the water temps aren't too cold so I prefer the vile craw because of its size and action. The D Bombs don't have as much action as the vile craw.  As it gets colder I will migrate to a D bomb because it is slightly smaller and more subtle, and when it gets colder to a baby d Bomb and eventually a small jig with a chunk.

As for the windblown banks, don't assume the bait is there. Use what electronics you have to try and narrow it down.

On a side note dont be afraid to hit up the smallies. Last year was my first year going into late December. I usually winterize and wrap my boat around Thanksgiving but last year the smally bite went well into December. I feel like the largemouth grind will start in early November. You could go out each day and work your tail off in the cold to grind out a bite. Meanwhile the smally bite is still hot.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline metz12

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 09:28:41 PM »
Thanks again Brazzy. I may try out those Vile Craws. Also I would love to get on a good smallie bite, but sadly I would have to go a bit far into Connecticut or in Mass. Living in Southern RI isnt that great for the smallie scene. All I know is there is some smallies at Watchaug, Which is pretty much in my front yard, but all I have heard the smallies in there you cant really target.

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 03:38:56 PM »
Cant beat the fall. Weighed this one in at 6lb 10oz.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:20:16 AM by Curt - RI »
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 10:57:11 AM »
Cant beat the fall. Weighed this one in at 6lb 10oz.

@Brazzy I'm trying to sort out a problem that is preventing photos from displaying properly when linked from a third party website.

Offline metz12

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 01:24:36 PM »
I was able to get out yesterday at a favorite lake of mine. And many others. But I was only able to manage one nice 2 pounder, and a slurp on a topwater walking bait I made. But it was a good trip out for a few hours on a nice day. I talked to 2 other guys that where on a brand new ranger, that I heard say "Oh hey look, a kid in a tracker, going to have a tough time" Then I talked to them a bit, they said it was tough. I would be lucky to catch one. Well, as they where putting their boat on the trailer, I made sure to announce that I caught one, and had to show it off  ;D

I still cant get the confidence that I have during the summer months. I don't know whether fish deep, shallow, near rocks or grass or where to find bait. I tried wind blown points with no luck. I didnt see one fish on the finder. But maybe soon enough, I can build some confidence in the cold water fishing.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 01:35:27 PM »
That was me you were talking to  ;D   Actually what i said was the fishing was tough and we were lucky to catch one  8)

We were out there since 11 that morning, Only thing i got was one small bass about a pound, guy i was with got a pickerel and a few perch.
There were about four other boats out there, didn't see any fish caught and one guy was fishing shiners.

It was a nice day to be out even though it got breezy at the end!

Offline metz12

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 05:09:47 PM »
Joe No way! That is cool. All I could manage was that guy. I did have a swirl on a walking bait by the floating dock by the dam, but thats it. A couple guys came in after you and hit a rock with their outboard on their johnboat! I heard it clear across the lake. I am not the biggest fan of fishing out in the wind, so I stayed in the calm water after I got blown around for a while.  I was surprised the smallies weren't biting. Not even in the rocks on the left of the lake where I find they hang out most of the time. I know they run small in there, but they are still fun to catch!

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 08:06:05 PM »
You would think the smally bite would be fire. I went to Singletary and the smallies were not at all active. Went after the green fish and got that giant. Next day went out to the cape and the water temp was 55. The only thing biting consistently were the perch. Out there it's nice because once they get into their winter pattern they pile up on the same 2 or 3 spots every year. At 55 degrees they arent in that wanted pattern and were on the move all day which made it tough to nail down a pattern. The big time smally guys have been traveling up north and have been killing it up there. So probably another week or 2 until that smally bite heats up. Usually sub 50 degrees is the trigger for them.

As for the largemouth my success has been in just off the drop offs. 8 to 12 feet of water mostly just off of the shallow flats. Yoyoing a lipless crankbait was the deal.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline metz12

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 09:22:41 PM »
I was thinking the smallies would be on as well. I fished and the water was in the 53-54 range. I got that one green fish on a worm letting it soak in about 5 FOW. I have seen a lot of the smallie guys catching a ton up in Maine. I am going to make a trip out tomorrow which probably will be the last trip out on my boat for me. One of my trolling motor batteries crapped out on me and I dont think buying a new one this year is my best bet with the cold and everything, plus being laid off, and working for myself at the moment, I dont have an extra 100 bucks lying around. I am borrowing one of my buddies batteries in his boat for our trip out tomorrow!  ;D He also is having boat troubles. I guess its that time of year.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 09:24:39 PM by metz12 »

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 06:20:22 PM »
@Brazzy I'm trying to sort out a problem that is preventing photos from displaying properly when linked from a third party website.

I've been trying to use bb code to embed like we've always done. I just edited the post and uploaded photos directly. Hope it works.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 10:55:40 PM by tsukasaxen »
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 09:22:30 AM »

This is now fixed. Thanks for your patience!

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2018, 01:25:10 PM »
The blade bait bite is fully on.
Bear Hill Baits