Author Topic: Punch Shotting  (Read 631 times)

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
Punch Shotting
« on: August 07, 2018, 12:09:05 PM »
So a couple of years ago Iaconelli came back from Japan ranting and raving on Bass U about a technique he learned while he was in Japan. Now it wasn't "new" but it really had not caught on here in the states and since then it has really been developed. The leader-less punch shot is often known as a "Jika" rig while the leadered punch shot is really starting to come around with VMC releasing the "Tokyo Rig" at Icast. At first I saw it and thought "too much hardware, Im out". The more I see it and the more I hear about it, I am now thinking it would be a solid option. What really sold me was a video at Icast by Seth Feider who talked about this being such a game changer for the anglers who flip thick vegetation. He says the guys back in Minnesota who flip milfoil for smallies will have this in their hands instead of a standard Texas rig by end of year.

As a guy who flips milfoil for smallies and thick vegetation this really peaked my interest. The thoughts on this is that:
-The bait will look more natural as it wont be stuck to the bottom.
-In mucky bottoms, Texas rigs will bury themselves while this will be off the bottom.
-Hook up ratio goes up since the fish will be inhaling the bait alone and not the weight.
-Will get through thick vegetation without the need of super heavy weights.

I bought the components and made a bunch of these and will likely test it out at Slatersville before using it on Candlewood. It wont replace the Texas rig because in open water its too much hardware. However, The more I look at this, I feel in heavy vegetation, soft bottoms, etc it could be a real player.

What are your thoughts?

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:14:32 AM by tsukasaxen »
Bear Hill Baits

Online metz12

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 2lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1987 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
Re: Punch Shotting
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 06:08:54 PM »
I cannot help but think that thing will drag a head of lettuce in with it in every cast. I would be willing to try it if I see it work first hand, but I personally think it looks like you originally said there is too much hardware. Almost looks gimmicky. But I could be totally wrong.

Thinking about it now, I bet it would be good at night. Maybe fishing shallower water, and rocky bottoms. It would make a bit of noise knocking around. 

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 11:01:10 AM »
I think we are looking at it very differently. It sounds like you are thinking of casting this out in shallow water and dragging it back. For that I agree that I dont think it will be effective and will likely drag in a whole bunch of cabbage.

I look at it for punching or flipping. I keep thinking about pitching it in 8-12 feet of milfoil. When talking about this the best point they made was "vegetation doesn't grow on rock". So when you are punching with a texas rigged 1oz weight (plus) yeah it will get through the matted vegetation, but its also going to bury itself in the soft bottom. Which I think is a fair point. We shall see. I will rig my second flipping stick with this and alternate them depending on situation and see if this is hype or a legit player.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 11:46:46 AM »
Been thinking about these rigs myself, could be good in heavy pads also!

It's almost like a mini drop shop rig but much more heavy duty.

Online metz12

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 6LBS 10 OZ Echo Lake RI SMB 2lbs 5oz. Watchaug pond RI
  • My Boat: 1987 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 12:44:29 PM »
Joe I thought the same thing it looked like a mini dropshot but on steroids. I wasn?t thinking of flipping it in 10? of water no. I was thinking flipping and pitching at brush piles and lay downs. I can see where now it would make sense if you where throwing it in deeper water. I still can?t get out of my head how that thing isn?t going to get fetched up on every piece of grass or Lilly pads when your reeling in. Please reply with results! Looks interesting.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 09:38:02 AM »
Personally, I see it being great for punching lily pads. Lily pads are less likely to have gnarly weeds laying under them, so this would be a great option for that.

I do little or no flipping of milfoil, so I don't really have an opinion on that option.

Offline Mjmj

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 08:24:23 AM »
Hi. New to this forum. I can tell you the rig will go through milfoil better than a punch rig. I've been using it for over a year. The best thing about this rig is when it hit bottom all you have to do is put tension on your line and shake it about 4 or 5 times. You will catch as many fish shaking it as you will on the fall.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 10:14:54 AM »
Hi. New to this forum. I can tell you the rig will go through milfoil better than a punch rig. I've been using it for over a year. The best thing about this rig is when it hit bottom all you have to do is put tension on your line and shake it about 4 or 5 times. You will catch as many fish shaking it as you will on the fall.

@Mjmj Welcome to the forums!

And thanks for your feedback on this setup. Not surprising at all that it gets bit while shaking it.  :nope:

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 09:08:05 AM »
So I have been playing with this a bit. I have to say, I am impressed. As far as the idea of this dragging up some cabbage... NOPE. I did it a bit differently and curled the wire under the sinker so it didn't act as a hook. This thing gets through vegetation really well and then meanders its way through vegetation really well. Also, it doesn't grab much with it on the way up. Hook up ratio has been really good. I've been throwing my flipping tube on it and have to say that I dont know when I will be going back to the Texas rig for punching or flipping.

Also I learned that this is a viable option in place of the swing arm jig. Basically the idea is to cast it out and drag it back. I casted it a few times and gave it a shot just to see how it feels. I haven't dedicated time to it, but I can see that working as well. The weight and the wire take the beating and its not your line dragging over rocks and such. So thats something else to look forward to trying.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 11:14:05 AM »
I'm glad you bumped this thread with new info and feedback. I had honestly forgotten all about it until you did this.

I will definitely be gathering some hardware to give this a try!

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 12:52:39 PM »
I made a few of these this weekend with some stuff i had laying around.  Came out pretty good 8)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 01:34:54 PM »
I made a few of these this weekend with some stuff i had laying around.  Came out pretty good 8)

@Joe P Got any pics?

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 01:36:30 PM »
I bought the components and made a bunch of these

@Brazzy Do you have a component list for this rig?

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 01:53:52 PM »
For the wire I used spinnerbait wire. On ebay I bought "looped spinner shafts 6" .035" pack of 25" for $6.95.

From there I added a split ring and my hook. I use the Mustad Grip-Pin EWG, but you can add whatever you like.

On the wire I put a bobber stop to stop it from sliding up but I don't think that's necessary.

From there you cut the wire to a desired length (I like 3-4"), throw on a bullet weight and bend the end of the wire with pliers. With the weights I've been using a half ounce tungsten, but I can see going lighter since it moves through vegetation pretty well. They say for punching vegetation face the bullet weight pointing down so it penetrates. If you are just going to drag it then point it up so the wide part rests on the bottom. I haven't gotten that far yet with the dragging technique.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Mjmj

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 04:06:38 PM »
Try using a drop shot weight. Works way better