Author Topic: Dragging Swimbaits for GIANT Smallmouth  (Read 630 times)

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
Dragging Swimbaits for GIANT Smallmouth
« on: July 23, 2018, 11:48:19 AM »
So I have touched on this before, but wanted to share because this is becoming such a great way to catch larger smallmouth. Growing up I would always lean on the Carolina rig for smallmouth fishing especially mid summer when they went a little deeper. I felt that the feel for the bottom was great and I had several 50+ fish day on the Carolina rig. However, the Carolina rig was meant to catch every fish in the school. What if you just want the best fish in the school? That is where I feel this technique is really shining. The idea is super simple. Swimbait jighead with a 3.25" to a 5" swimbait. The size of the jighead should depend on the depth you are fishing and the size of the swimbait, but remember that you want to maintain bottom contact. With smallies I know that an erratic retrieve is always the preferred method, but in this instance the super slow and steady retrieve I find works best. The idea is to go super slow and maintain the bottom contact and go slow enough that you are getting a good layout of what the bottom is like. Now heres the catch. Smallies dont always smash this thing on the first try. They love to swipe at it, mouth it, and mess with it before eating it. So often they will tear your swimbait in half. DO NOT SET THE HOOK! Just keep that steady slow retrieve. The other great thing about this is they wont swallow it so the risk of gut hooking a fish is not like that of a carolina rig. As long as you dont yank the bait away from them they will keep messing with it until they get hooked. If the line goes slack, go ahead and reel up the slack quickly and get ready to lean into them. However, more often than not they will play with this thing and if you yank it from them thats game over. When they got it reel into it a bit and then lean into them with a side sweep once you know for sure they got it. Most of these swimbait jig heads have super sharp and often light wire hooks. You dont need to jack them like on a flipping jig.

For rod I like a 7'Medium spinning rod and I will use 15lb braid with a 10lb fluoro leader tied with an FG knot. This is still a search bait so that light braid will not only let you cast it a mile, but you will feel every rock, and blade of grass down there. My preferred size is a 4" on a 1/4 oz jig head. Below is an example. This fish weighed in at 4lb 8oz. Oddly enough my partner and I weighed in 2 more that weighed exactly 4-8 and another at 4-4. I took a photo of this one because it was the text book tick, then a thump, and then he smashed it. At some point it tore the tail off and still came back to for his finishing move.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 12:37:47 PM by Brazzy »
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Dragging Swimbaits for GIANT Smallmouth
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 03:21:38 PM »
Great info, @Brazzy  :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing. I personally haven't spent much time fishing with soft swimbaits, and I know I am missing out on a lot of action because of it. One of these days I will thrown one and stick with it long enough to catch fish with it.  :yes:

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 08:09:44 AM »
This is definitely something that took a while for me to come around to as well. At first I tried the wide gap swim bait hooks with the screw lock keeper and weight on the keel of the hooks. I got some bites on it fishing for largemouth but my hook up ratio was far too low to be able to do it with confidence. I the resorted to using the as trailers on chatterbaits and spinnerbaits ( you know my stance on that now). I was fishing with a local pro and he turned me onto ita couple of years ago. I then saw Seth Feider and Pete Gluszek do seminars on this on Bass University. That gave me the confidence to at least try it for smallmouth on a jig head. It did not take long to get confidence in it. Then Mark Zona did a seminar on the line through style in a seminar about unorthodox ways to fish docks. I very quickly realized that how I started using this bait to begin with was all wrong. That weedless application was pretty frustrating and it would be pretty low on the totem pole of baits I would throw around grass. However, these other methods are absolutely killer.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 08:18:24 AM by Brazzy »
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 10:10:25 AM »
Good video  :thumbup:

What is that net you have on the deck, looks like a folding one?

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 10:16:03 AM »
Thank you.

Yes it is a collapsing silicon net. Its similar to this one on amazon:

http://amzn.to/2uMuPyw
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 04:14:49 PM by Curt - RI »
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 04:15:14 PM »
Great video!! Love the info you shared  :thumbup:

Offline Eric-Maine

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +40/-0
  • I love NorthEast Bass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 07:05:09 PM »
Good stuff. Used the 3.8 s a lot on Erie in the spring on a football head. Love the 3.3 and 2.8,  new sizes for me that I slow roll or drop on fish I see on the graph using a 3 /32 ned head
(midwest finess....I make my own).

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 12:28:51 PM »
I didnt want to start a new thread on an old topic. Bass U just paired up with Paul Mueller on doing a video on swimbait fishing for smallies. Man is it good. The trailer is here. The whole video is on bass U

Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 11:22:54 AM »
Great video! Thanks for posting this  :thumbup: