Author Topic: Spinnerbait and Buzzbait Trailer Hooks  (Read 295 times)

Offline metz12

• Shiner
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 5lbs SMB 2lbs 5oz. Both Watchaug pond Charlestown RI
  • My Boat: 1987 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
Spinnerbait and Buzzbait Trailer Hooks
« on: June 30, 2018, 08:56:24 PM »
Hey everyone. I had an incident last night with a bass getting hooked in the gut with a trailer hook on my spinnerbait. I have always been told that you always should run a trailer hook on a spinnerbait. I learned today that @Curt - RI  never runs one due to potentially hooking a fish in the gut. Just would like to get an opinion from you guys. Thanks!

Also, on a bit of a sidenote, if you dont run a trialer hook, do you run a soft plastic trailer like a paddletail or something else?

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Spinnerbait and Buzzbait Trailer Hooks
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 09:15:13 PM »
Many, many years ago (over 25 years ago) I read about trailer hooks on spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, and how they improve hook up ratios. So I took that advice and put a trailer hook on my spinnerbait. And on that very same day, I hooked a bass close to 3 lbs. on my spinnerbait. Sadly, the fish hit the main hook and the trailer hook found it's way into the fish's gills way in the back of it's mouth. That fish died very quickly, even though I wasn't in a tournament and attempted to get the hook out right away.

Since that day I have used a trailer hook on a spinnerbait only once or twice that I can remember. On one of those occasions I honestly don't remember if it made any difference or not. But on the other occasion I had been getting a lot of short strikes on my spinnerbait after dark, so I added a trailer hook. Despite adding that trailer hook, I still wasn't able to hook any of those short striking fish. So, I assume that they weren't trying to bite the bait, but rather hitting the blade or just bumping or slashing at the bait. Either way, the trailer hook didn't help me catch any of them.

I very rarely have short strikes on spinnerbaits. Maybe it's just the way that I fish them. But I will rarely use a trailer hook. And when I say rarely, I mean maybe once every 5 years or more.

Also, based on how this fish was hooked, I don't think it was the hook that killed it. I think it was a lack of oxygen in the livewell due to high water temps and the pump not being run frequently enough. Manual livewell pumps are a recipe for disaster in the hot summer months. And with water temps pushing 78-79 last night, it required that the pump be run every few minutes, especially with bigger fish in the well.

Aftermarket livewell timers can be added to any existing livewell pump/switch setup. Might be a good idea to look into one.

In the meantime, be sure to run that pump full time once you get fish in the livewell when the water temps are in the 70s or higher  ;)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 09:29:53 PM by Curt - RI »

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 11:25:40 AM »
I never use trailer hooks on my spinnerbaits & buzzbaits.

On spinnerbaits i use a grub as a trailer 99% of the time, occasionally i use a paddle tail!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 05:41:27 PM »
Forgot to mention that I use a grub trailer on spinnerbaits. On buzzbaits  I use no trailer at all.

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 09:07:33 PM »
If you're not using a trailer hook then you are missing two or three fish a day that you probably never even felt. Just today I caught two bass that just had the trailer hook. If you're in a tourney those two fish could mean a win. This is coming from a guy who has been making spinner baits for over 10 yrs and throws them every trip out.
Owner, Toad Hunter Spinnerbaits

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 08:05:21 AM »
Question came up at a Bass University event where a number of pros weighed in. The consensus was that if you bulk up the target with a soft plastic grub or swimbait you will get less short strikes and eliminate the need for a trailer hook. Some dabbled with running with both but found the trailer hook wasn't necessary as you are more likely to gut hook a fish than to land a fish on the trailer hook alone. If you dont run a soft plastic trailer they found it is beneficial to run a trailer hook, but to eliminate the chance of gut hooking a fish they recommended running a soft plastic trailer with no trailer hook. Obviously pros are all going to see this differently, but to hear a few of them talk it out was pretty interesting.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 11:01:45 AM »
@Brazzy Thanks for the feedback. Pretty interesting stuff for sure.  :thumbup: