Author Topic: So what do you think?  (Read 354 times)

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +70/-0
  • Work to fish. Until I can Fish for work!
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 04 Tracker Avalanche, 115 Mercury
So what do you think?
« on: July 02, 2018, 02:21:02 PM »
So this weekend I made a decision. It hit me like a ton of bricks when I caught my 2nd fish during a night... (and the fact it has been coming up more and more)

I fish in a Thursday night league and with Curt in SRIBA. The waters we fish in RI and for the most part CT tend to get hit pretty hard. Everyone knows the good lakes and those lakes take a beating. SO... Long story short Friday night my first fish was a typical 1.5lber but looked very healthy and solid. I thought to myself it was great to see a new young class of fish beefing up! Then a caught my 2nd and it was also a 1.5lber however it was a different story. I went to put in my cull tag and his jaw was split from front to back. You could see where someone stuck a cull tag in too far back from the fishes lip and it must have ripped. It sucked to know "we" did that...
SO I'm going to test out some of the non-penetrating cull tags and hopefully others will follow. Who knows maybe our club rules will change and non-penetrating cull tags will be in the rules.

I know others are already using these tags so please chime in. What brands work and what brands suck???
-Mitz
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 02:31:30 PM by Mitz »

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
Re: So what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 04:43:46 PM »
I switched last July after I lipped a 4.5lb smally and my finger slipped through a hole under his chin. Went with the G Force conservation system from TH Marine is solid. Works well with the balance beam it comes with. Overall a really good kit that does what its supposed to and is non penetrating... and TW is having a sale...

www.tacklewarehouse.com/T-H_Marine_G-Force_Conservation_Cull_System/descpage-CONCUL.html?from=nebass

One thing worth noting is the clips are hard to operate with one hand a first. Pop them open and closed a couple of times and its gets easier.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:50:40 AM by Curt - RI »
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +70/-0
  • Work to fish. Until I can Fish for work!
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 04 Tracker Avalanche, 115 Mercury
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 06:12:16 PM »
I just put in an order for those earlier today!  :nod: After some research and YouTube videos it seems like those and the  set by Cal Coast are the better sets.
-Mitz

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 09:50:26 AM »
Great topic!

On my own part, I do still use the penetrating cull clips. However, I do not punch it through the soft tissue under the fish's jaw.

I figured out a way to punch a tiny hole in the fish's bottom lip that doesn't tear or get bigger. It's hard to describe where/how to do this, but it has worked very well for me the last two seasons.

I have hesitated to switch to non-penetrating cull tags for two reasons.

1 - the first bunch of them were terrible in quality. I heard numerous stories of them coming off in the livewell, leading to chaos with keeping track of weights.

2 - the prices of these new cull tags were beyond ridiculous.

I just read the reviews for the TH product, most of which were negative. So I will steer clear of it, especially for $43.

Maybe I will hear more positive feedback on it later on and I will change my mind. Time will tell.

In the meantime, I will continue to use my old clips and my own personal method for clipping them, because it works well for me and doesn't hurt the bass with a gaping hole or torn flesh.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 10:16:11 AM »
BASS switched to non penetrating tags this year. Not sure what the pros are using but many are sponsored by TH Marine.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 10:31:39 AM »
A local pro that I know in CT uses this one: www.tacklewarehouse.com/Accu_Cull_Elite_E-Con_Tags_Culling_System/descpage-ACULLEEO.html?from=nebass

The last I knew, he was more than happy with it. I'm leaning toward this one too, but still waiting to hear more feedback from other anglers.  :yes:

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 01:14:40 PM »
I dont tag all my fish. Usually I have a couple that I know I wont be culling so I dont tag them and just tag dinks that will likely be culled. This weekend I fished for an online tournament and I just started jacking 2lb fish after fish so anything I knew I would want to log I logged and released, but ended up with a full live well of 2 pounders with the G-force tags on. Yes they are harder to operate, but I had no issues with them coming off even when using the balance beam. If you dont slide the piece all the way closed I can see it popping open, but once it clicks its locked on there pretty good.

Also the 5lb 13oz fish I landed this weekend had a huge hole in the bottom jaw. Now that I am cognizant of how much damage the penetrating tags can do I am noticing it more and more.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 06:03:56 PM »
I actually picked up the Accu-Cull Elite E-con  tags this past weekend. I haven't had a chance to try them yet, but they seem like they will be very good. I also watched several of the how-to videos on the Accu-Cull website that show exactly how to use these tags. They were very informative.

http://www.accucull.com/instructional-product-videos/

I also now have a new Accu-Cull digital scale that weighs in lbs. and hundredths, so this should make the balance beam a thing of the past for me.  :yes:

I will be writing reviews on both of these new products in the near future, once I've had a chance to put them through their paces on the water in actual tourney situations.