Author Topic: Transom transducer mounting  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Fishymann

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Failure to plan, is planning to fail.
    • View Profile
Transom transducer mounting
« on: March 18, 2017, 09:33:07 AM »
Hello, I just recently bought a hummingbird Side imaging, Down imaging, GPS combo. My question is, having to have that 180 view, how would I go about mounting it to my transom? I would rather do a lot of studying before I punch a bunch of holes in my boat.

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
Re: Transom transducer mounting
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 10:50:42 AM »
First off.. Congrats on your purchase. Thats awesome to start getting into some of the more advanced electronics out there like side imaging. Luckily those things come with pretty detailed instructions. If you are questioning the location to place it simply look online for pictures of where others placed theres on a boat similar to yours. No sense in re-inventing the wheel. The key things you want to keep in mind are to make sure your boat is on flat ground, and that the trailer is even and straight on the boat. You definitely want this thing on straight. From there the key piece is making sure it is level and it has a clear view straight down and out to the sides with nothing obstructing it. The bottom of the transducer should be even with the bottom of the boat.

On a side note I know this is a big investment. I mean you dropped a bunch of money into a gadget and now you're gonna drill holes into your other big investment. Its terrifying the first time you do it. However, the instructions are pretty fool proof. They make it sound simple because it is pretty simple. The idea of drilling holes into your baby is what makes it sound like its rocket science.

Simple diagram:
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 01:12:51 PM »
Depends on  your boat (fiberglass or Alum) and whether you want high speed readings?

I have the SI mounted on my transom but also i have a 2D shoot thru transducer mounted in the bilge area for on plane reading. Both of these are connected to the unit using a y cable.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 10:17:24 AM »

I have the SI mounted on my transom but also i have a 2D shoot thru transducer mounted in the bilge area for on plane reading.

Definitely the best way for fiberglass boats, since it allows you to get good readings on plane. The bulk of SI transducers makes them tough to use on plane, since they will tend to kick up, especially in rough water, rendering them useless for reading while running the boat on plane.

Offline groti

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +33/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 08:57:18 PM »
A lot of boat bottoms  are different with chines and such and this creates different water flow turbulence's or hull cavitation  for a transom  mount transducer. Start it flush with the bottom  of the hull but you may have to move it as much as 3/8" up or down to get a clear reading on your sounder. Use the side for idle speeds and the down faster speeds.
Men and fish are alike, they both get in trouble when they open their mouths...

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 09:55:04 PM »
Start it flush with the bottom  of the hull but you may have to move it as much as 3/8" up or down to get a clear reading on your sounder.

Exactly. Best way to do it. The problem I have is that when I get it deep enough into the water to read well at speeds, the force of the water pushing against it at higher speeds causes it to kick up and stop reading.  :facepalm:

A real pain in the butt for sure.

It almost makes me want to reinstall my old Garmin unit that came with the boat, to use it just for high speed, since it worked really well for that.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 08:37:16 AM »
Curt, what unit are you running now? 

You could add a second transducer just for your speed and 2D reading. If it's Hummingbird i might have the transducer you need. You would just need the y cable. Let me know!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 08:57:55 AM »
Curt, what unit are you running now? 

You could add a second transducer just for your speed and 2D reading. If it's Hummingbird i might have the transducer you need. You would just need the y cable. Let me know!

Joe, I'm running a Humminbird 798 CI HD SI at the console.

Offline Fishymann

• Guppy
  • Failure to plan, is planning to fail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 05:16:49 PM »
Thanks for all the great info, I got it all mounted and ready to fish with. Hoping to not have to make any adjustments.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 06:17:48 PM »
Thanks for all the great info, I got it all mounted and ready to fish with. Hoping to not have to make any adjustments.

You're welcome. Glad we could help. Let us know how it all works out  :yes:

By the way, it's pretty typical to have to make adjustments when you install this kind of unit. So don't be disappointed if that's the case  :nope: