Author Topic: Wallum Lake Conditions/Boat Ramp  (Read 1216 times)

Offline jtd1216

• Shiner
  • Applause: +1/-0
  • Woot.
    • View Profile
Wallum Lake Conditions/Boat Ramp
« on: October 14, 2016, 12:00:21 PM »
Hey guys, have never been, but heard great things about Wallum Lake in Burrillville/Douglas. Anyone been up there lately? Are water levels affecting use of the boat ramp? Never fished the lake before, but heard there are smallmouth. Any pointers for those? Thanks guys!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Wallum Lake Conditions/Boat Ramp
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 06:16:02 PM »
Wallum does have smallies. But be prepared to catch a ton of tiny fish. For every keeper you catch, you'll catch at least 8-10 runts. Same goes for Largemouths too.

As for the ramp, @Bob W - RI was there a couple weeks ago with @Iman and the ramp was tough to use. They had to have all 4 wheels of the truck in the water to get the boat off the trailer. And then when they did get the boat off the trailer, there was no way to get the boat to shore to get the second person onboard the boat because the water was so shallow.

I think the person who parked the truck had to walk through the bushes to find a place where the water was deep enough to allow the boat to be pulled up close to shore. And even then they had to jump from shore onto the boat because the boat was still a few feet from shore  :facepalm:

Offline jtd1216

• Shiner
  • Woot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 07:29:42 PM »
Dang. Well thanks for all the great info though @Curt - RI  any other suggestions for RI right now? I think I saw you mentioned that you've been focusing on CT because RI is tough. As far as the small ones, I don't mind. Just looking for a good day out on the water. Don't get my G3 out often enough.  :( though, this makes me think, my boat can take on some pretty shallow water. It's not a FG boat. You think I'd still have trouble?

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 07:58:25 PM »
@jtd1216 The anglers I mentioned were in a 17 ft. Tracker with a 40 HP. A very light boat that will float in inches of water!

I haven't been to any of the lakes in the Northern end of the state, like Echo, Smith & Sayles, Keech, etc. But I'm guessing they're probably not much better.

Maybe @Mitz or @droyer could chime in and answer about them.

Offline jtd1216

• Shiner
  • Woot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 11:21:15 AM »
That's exactly what my boat is too. Jeez. I may end up back at smith and sayles. It was shallow there too, but we were able to beach the boat, one person hop on, the other in the water a couple feet in and then we busted out our push pole to get going to deeper water.

Offline Bob W - RI

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +96/-0
  • Get the NET !!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 7.19 lb LMB. Amos Lake, CT 2014
  • My Boat: Bass Tracker PT175
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 07:23:13 PM »
I went there for about 4 Hours one night with Isaac about 2 weeks ago. It was a great night with about 12 bass caught with only about half of them being keepers and most being small mouth. The weather was nice and one of my last night fishing trips for the year.

Bob W.
Snack Time !     Get the Net !  ><((((º>