Author Topic: No-mold soft plastic baits that catch all species  (Read 3663 times)

Offline senkosam

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +3/-1
  • Northeastbass.Com rocks!
    • View Profile
No-mold soft plastic baits that catch all species
« on: September 03, 2016, 11:44:12 PM »
Over a year ago I stumbled on how to make certain multi-species baits that do not require a mold. The bait styles using my method can have molds made for each style but not necessary unless one wants to sell in large quantity. It involves using a glassy smooth floor tile or other heat resistant smooth surface, pyrex cup, microwave oven, a straight edge razor blade, dye and flakes and a cup of cool water.

If interested, post a reply.

Offline Curt - NC

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: No-mold soft plastic baits that catch all species
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 06:55:27 PM »
Always interested in learning new lure-making techniques!
Brutally Honest Fishing Tackle Reviews at TackleTest.com

Offline senkosam

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 08:04:53 AM »
About 8 yrs. ago I was stirring some hot plastic with a teaspoon and noticed the thin film left after it cooled. Having made candles in my hippie days, I knew that if I cut out the shape of a minnow and dipped half of it into a cup of hot plastic a few times, I could thicken it into a body leaving the tail thin: thus the Spoon Minnow design was born. That was too time consuming if I wanted to make more lures, so I tried using a smooth floor tile. I then discovered that if another layer of plastic was poured where the body was to, it saved time dipping to thicken it so that it would hold a jig.

You need a ceramic or glass surface that's shiny and that can withstand 300 degree plastic. I had some shiny floor tiles laying around and made the first layer by pouring the plastic down an angled tile. Note the box cutter blade on the left and the thickened body/ thin tail on the tile before dipping a few times.

Now instead of dipping the first thin layer, I pour the body across the thin plastic to thicken the layer for the body leaving the thin tail; then I cut the shape and dip it into hot plastic. Various shapes made can be left to the imagination. To prove that a lure with 4 flat sides could catch fish, I cut this shape after two pours where the tile was flatter....and of course it did catch many fish.

Just be sure the plastic is not too hot (I prefer it no hotter than 280 degrees) when dipping the body. Cooled to 260 degrees it still works fine. (I used a deep fry thermometer initially to check the maximum temperature needed to make lures, now no longer needed because stirring it with a knife gives me a good idea how fluid the plastic for pouring.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 08:27:52 AM by senkosam »

Offline senkosam

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 08:23:10 AM »
This topwater turtle was formed by pouring hot plastic into a tablespoon. To build up the front of the lure for hook holding strength, I dipped it a few time after which I added thin tail made with the above process or silicone strands.

Spike-It was used to color the lure. I caught bass the first time I used it and after 1pm under a bright sun!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 08:25:06 AM by senkosam »

Offline Curt - NC

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 08:45:31 PM »
Would love to see some video of these methods!

Offline senkosam

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 10:24:14 PM »
Sorry, don't have a video cam.

Offline Curt - NC

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 09:52:36 AM »
Sorry, don't have a video cam.

No worries at all. I just mentioned it because it's cool to watch people's processes  :thumbup:

Offline senkosam

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 11:16:54 AM »
Did you look at the photos I added? They might help those like me when words aren't enough.

Offline Curt - NC

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 04:16:08 PM »
The photos are great! Thanks for adding them. A lot of good ideas here  :thumbup: