Author Topic: good baitcaster  (Read 5476 times)

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
Re: good baitcaster
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 01:54:33 PM »
I have a Pro Qualifier and really like the reel. I have it paired with BPS Carbonlite rod and love it, 150 for the combo.

As for your reel!  I would probably take the side covers off and hit it with a few drops of oil to be safe.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 09:43:19 AM »
The shower when I got home was one of the best I've ever had!  :)

P.S.  Should I have done anything afterward to clean that reel?   I hosed it down that's about it.....I hope I didn't ruin anything inside?   Anyone got any suggestions on that?   

Yep! I bet that shower felt good!

As for the reel, it might have been a good idea to oil the bearings after it dried out and make sure there was no mud inside the reel from laying on the bottom while you tried to find it. If there was grit in there, though, you'd hear it when you use it. It would sound like it had dirt inside it and it would feel bad when casting and reeling.

Glad you got it back  ;D

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 09:44:30 AM »
I have a Pro Qualifier and really like the reel. I have it paired with BPS Carbonlite rod and love it, 150 for the combo.

Good info Joe! Thanks for letting us know. That's an awesome deal on a good combo  :)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 09:45:06 AM »
@ProvidenceBassHunter let us know which rod and reel you end up buying!

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 10:24:13 AM »
Good info Joe! Thanks for letting us know. That's an awesome deal on a good combo  :)

Never had good luck with BPS reels but this one is great!  Got it half price at the spring classic and the rod was 99.  They did have combos on the rack for 160 in store 8)

Offline ProvidenceBassHunter

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • If you dont bass fish then why are you talking to
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: Huge 4 pounder it was more like a 10
  • My Boat: Kayak
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 10:53:42 AM »
@Joe P I am Gunna order one Friday they have em for 160 the combo wicth is write in my price range. I'm thinking  6'9 med hev ?

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 11:41:07 AM »
@Joe P I am Gunna order one Friday they have em for 160 the combo wicth is write in my price range. I'm thinking  6'9 med hev ?

6' 9" in MH is perfect :)

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 12:08:48 PM »
Ordered the bps qualifier carbonlite combo and some other tackle from bps should be in tomarow can't wait to start practicing in my yard hopefully I get it down in the next few days so I can fish with it this weekend. @toadhunter put me onto the frog bite when we went out last weekend and it's all I been thinking about

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 12:35:18 PM »
I know this is kind of late, but Im always interested in hearing this conversation, but since it was your first baitcast reel, have you given any thought to left handed vs right handed? This is for the broader audience too, but most a lot of people (including myself) grew up on spinning rods. And although ambidextrous, they always seem to have come with the crank on the left and despite being right handed in everything I was always using a spinning rod with the crank on the left. As I went to baitcast reels I just ran with it and keep buying left handed reels. I find that there is a benefit to being right handed and learning to use a left handed reel in that I never have to switch hands.

Any thoughts...
Bear Hill Baits

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 12:58:25 PM »
@Brazzy funny that u asked that I ordered the right hand by mistake in ment to order the left but noticed after it was to late I am just Gunna go switch it out at BPS in mass after it comes in. I don't know since I'm just learning I'm Gunna stick with the left since I was using a spinning reel with it on the left and I feel like it will be easier to learn the baitcaster this way

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 01:25:46 PM »
@ProvidenceBassHunter ,let me know if you have trouble with the set up. May be in a few weeks i'll fish the other side and if your still having trouble we can dial it in for you.
Owner, Toad Hunter Spinnerbaits

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2015, 01:27:52 PM »
@toadhunter thanks I will let u know

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2015, 08:25:25 PM »
Update got my rod and real in Thursday and Friday had to go to BPS is Foxboro Friday night to change out the reel for a left hand retrieve cause I order the wrong side ... spent sat morning practicing In my yard for and hour or so. Went fishing sat night had a little more Practice with it on the water bird nest a few times but nothing to bad but did not cacth anything because I am still not able to cast the far yet. Went out agian today got a little more comfortable with the rod and reel and casting and started to get some distance on the cast and caught my first few baitcaster fish felt realy good. Still need alot of Practice but catching with it has really boosted my confidence. Ended the night with a really bad bird nest because I got brave and tried to wip the rod and get a nice long cast and the line just blow up lol so I decided to call it a night and go home because it was to dark to pick it all out.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2015, 08:57:55 PM »
Well, you took the plunge and got started. That's half the battle  :nod:

Give it some time and lots more practice and the backlashes will soon be a thing of the past.

Also, when picking out that last backlash, be sure to check the line for damage. Severe backlashes like that can cause kinks in the line that can make it weak and cause it to break under pressure. The last thing you want is to break off on a fish  :nope:

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2015, 01:41:54 PM »
what do you have the magnetic brake dial set to?  Turn it up a little till you get used to casting. And don't try to cast to hard, let the rod do  the work!  Another tip is to set the tension so the lure falls to the floor and the spool doesn't over run.  Keep checking the tension knob, on mine i notice it will loosen over time.