Author Topic: good baitcaster  (Read 5453 times)

Offline ProvidenceBassHunter

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • If you dont bass fish then why are you talking to
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: Huge 4 pounder it was more like a 10
  • My Boat: Kayak
good baitcaster
« on: September 14, 2015, 12:08:16 PM »
BPS is offering a 6 month payment option on online orders and I have been thinking about finally geting a baitcaster rod and reel. Any suggestions on a set up that is good for beginer like me. I have been holding out for a while cause I have been afraid of the whole back lash stuff lol

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
Re: good baitcaster
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 01:14:14 PM »
Im sure there are a bunch of different opinions on this as to what is a good starter. My only piece of advice is "dont go cheap". There will be a learning curve to this and you want the feedback, but there are some garbage reels out there. I originally started out with a wally world special with magnetic brakes (~$40) and thought this was just impossible. I then tried again with the BPS enigma with centrifugal brakes (~$100) and got the hang of it, but didnt realize any benefits of a baitcast reel. It wasnt until I got a Revo STX  that I started to really get the point of it... and it just went from there. I feel as though if I started with a higher quality reel to begin with then it would have been an easier transition. With that said.. dont start off with a $30 wally world special.. People will have plenty of input on brands and models and its a lot of personal preference. Just dont expect to spend $50 and be happy with your purchase.. The fact that you mentioned payment plans means you are in the right direction.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 01:53:54 PM »
@Brazzy makes some good points, especially when it comes to not taking the cheapest way out.

However, with that being said, let me give a bit of feedback based on over 25 years worth of experience, using both cheap reels and reels that are not so cheap.

I would definitely not recommend buying a junk reel for $30. You might as well take your money and toss it into the trash. But, I have also run into a few reels and rod/reel combos over the last few years that are pretty stinking good without having to break the bank.

A couple years back I ran into a deal at Dick's Sporting goods on a Abu Garcia Black Max baitcasting combo. I think it was priced at around $60.. maybe a tad more. I was in need of another outfit and didn't have a ton of cash, so I bought it figuring if I could get a season or two out of it, it would be money well spent.

I was very pleasantly surprised with this combo. So much so, that I went back and bought another one a week or so later, and then bought a third one several months after that.

The Black Max reel isn't a high budget reel, so the gears aren't fantastic, but the bearings are decent and it casts like a rocket, with little or no trouble backlashing if the brakes are adjusted properly.

The rod is a Vengeance model, from Abu Garcia. It's a good all around rod that I have used for spinnerbaits, bladed jigs, flipping tubes and maybe a few other types of baits. And it has performed well. It's obviously not on par with a more expensive rod when it comes to sensitivity, etc. But it works well for what I use it for.

So if someone wants to try baitcasting and doesn't want to spend $200 - $300 to do it, I would recommend this combo, or maybe a Pro Max combo, also from Abu Garcia.

But let me make it clear that I am not promoting Abu Garcia solely. I actually prefer Shimano reels. I have 3 or 4 of the Shimano Curado 200E7 baitcasters. They were the cream of the crop, in my opinion, for reels in the $180 price range a few years ago. Sadly, they stopped making them, and the reels that took their place only have 5 bearings, instead of the 7 bearings in the E7 models.

As for making payments, I don't like debt. So think twice about getting into a payment plan. Save your money up until you can afford to buy something outright. If you opt for the Black Max combo, or something similar, you won't have to save for very long.

I'm sure you'll get other opinions on here too, but that's my feedback based on my own experiences.

Oh, and nowadays, I use baitcasters about 85-90% of the time. Once you get used to them and have a few different models and actions, the spinning rods and reels will take a back seat most of the time  ;)

Offline 190SCR

• Smallmouth Bass
  • The scale never lies, but yours might be broken.
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: Champion 190SCR Mercury 3 Liter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 07:21:36 PM »
Best real you can buy for under $200...Shimano chronarch 200 E's. They come in 3 gear ratios, 5.5:1, 6.5:1, 7.0:1. The good ones are still around. I found them for $149 to my door @ Academy Sports! 3 of each is where I'm at.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 07:23:29 PM by 190SCR »

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 07:23:45 PM »
@Brazzy yeah I was thinking the same thing for a rod and reel I'm willing to spend around 100-150 I want something decent but not to fancy cause like I said it's my first baitcaster. @Curt - RI yeah I feel you on the dept thing only reason is cause I want it asap so I can learn how to use it and get some experience on it for next season so I'm rdy to go. As far as the abu garcia I have read alot of good things about it it's Def and option epically cause the price  I'm open to other options to

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 07:08:41 PM »
Best real you can buy for under $200...Shimano chronarch 200 E's. They come in 3 gear ratios, 5.5:1, 6.5:1, 7.0:1. The good ones are still around. I found them for $149 to my door @ Academy Sports! 3 of each is where I'm at.  ;D

Now that's a heck of a deal right there  ;D

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 08:26:15 PM »
@190SCR for 200 I would want a rod a reel combo atleast

Offline 190SCR

• Smallmouth Bass
  • The scale never lies, but yours might be broken.
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: Champion 190SCR Mercury 3 Liter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 09:34:02 PM »
@190SCR for 200 I would want a rod a reel combo atleast

When/if you get seriously addicted to bass fishing $200 will be a common price point for rods and reels. Until that day enjoy the cheap stuff it still catch's.  ;)

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 09:45:13 PM »
@190SCR ok .............

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 10:21:40 AM »
You could always go with a Pro Qualifier from BPS. People swear up and down that its one of the best reels for the price. You can get them for less than $100 and they come with dual braking. I have not used one but people all over fishing forums and plenty of friends of mine swear by it as a lower priced baitcast reel. Throw it on a St Croix Mojo and you have a decent combo for under $200. With that said I feel like I would not want to go much cheaper..
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 10:29:16 AM »
You could always go with a Pro Qualifier from BPS. People swear up and down that its one of the best reels for the price. You can get them for less than $100 and they come with dual braking. I have not used one but people all over fishing forums and plenty of friends of mine swear by it as a lower priced baitcast reel. Throw it on a St Croix Mojo and you have a decent combo for under $200. With that said I feel like I would not want to go much cheaper..

I haven't heard a lot about the Pro Qualifier reels, but I know that a lot of people like the BPS rods. And yes, the St. Croix Mojo rods are great rods for the money  ;)

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 11:52:11 AM »
@Brazzy great reviews on that real I think I might lean towards that one ....what size rod would be the best?

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 11:04:38 AM »
@Brazzy great reviews on that real I think I might lean towards that one ....what size rod would be the best?

6' 9" is a good all around size, in MH action.

Offline bless

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +12/-8
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 06:40:20 AM »
I bought a BPS pro Qualifier and threw it on a St Croix Mojo for my first baitcaster setup this summer.   While I have had a few dissiculties with birds nests, these were my own fault and had nothing to do with the real so much as it had to do with me learning how to use it properly.  In the research I did, it was the best setup I could find that kept me right around $200. On an unrelated note, my first time out with it, I accidently knocked it off my crawdad and the darn thing sank within seconds!!!!   I literally spent 30 minutes swimming/diving in 12-15 feet of muddy/murky/weedy water until I found and came back up with that darn rod n reel!!! I WAS NOT losing $200 on my first time out with it.  The shower when I got home was one of the best I've ever had!  :)  Good luck.

P.S.  Should I have done anything afterward to clean that reel?   I hosed it down that's about it.....I hope I didn't ruin anything inside?   Anyone got any suggestions on that?   
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:46:46 AM by bless »

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 12:14:27 PM »
@bless I was looking at that same setup on BPS a few days ago when I get the money togther I might go for it