Author Topic: I'm getting skunked, Need help !!  (Read 5040 times)

Offline HoleHunters

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 3 3/4
  • My Boat: Tracker 1542
I'm getting skunked, Need help !!
« on: July 07, 2015, 12:42:31 PM »
I am having the worst season of fishing yet!! I have only caught 8 bass so far nothing worth writing home about. A few times I've been skunked out !! I am using the same techniques i usually use, early morning too water, sun rise crank baits, jigs, soft creatures and worms wacky, shaky head and Texas rigged. When it gets hotter I am throwing a deep diving crank. Also pitching and flipping all soft baits into brush piles and grassy areas when it's hot, hitting shaded areas as well. Can not seem to find them. Getting very frustrated.

Any suggestions, I want to turn this season around and fast. I mainly fish RI lakes and ponds.

Thanks as always guys

Gabe

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
Re: I'm getting skunked, Need help !!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 02:26:51 PM »
Hasn't been great for me either! I've barely broke the 3lb mark so far :-\

Offline 190SCR

• Smallmouth Bass
  • The scale never lies, but yours might be broken.
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: Champion 190SCR Mercury 3 Liter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 03:01:11 PM »
Hasn't been great for me either! I've barely broke the 3lb mark so far :-\

Probably spending too much time keeping that new rig clean.  ;D

I have caught em on large swim baits, spinner baits and jigs, but hey...that's pretty much all I throw. Night fishing is where I have been cleaning up the last 3 weeks.

Offline HoleHunters

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 03:15:56 PM »
I fish Echo Lake, Johnson's, Wilson's Res, Slattersville. Any suggestions on a little more active spots...I am going to Bowdish on Sunday looking to fish somewhere on Friday to boost my spirits..

Thanks guys

Offline 190SCR

• Smallmouth Bass
  • The scale never lies, but yours might be broken.
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: Champion 190SCR Mercury 3 Liter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 04:10:53 PM »
Wordens, Tucker and Indian have been very good.

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +70/-0
  • Work to fish. Until I can Fish for work!
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 04 Tracker Avalanche, 115 Mercury
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 09:11:47 AM »
I'm with ya! This year has been a test for me. I had a better start to the year than other years, I thought it was going to be a killer year. Haven't landed anything over 3ish.  :-\

Going back to the basics until I can get back into a groove. Worm, Jig, Spinner, Buzz and slowing things down... Seem to have help a little last tournament.

There out there just need to hit em in the head.
-Mitz

Offline Curt - NC

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 09:42:34 AM »
I've had a great season so far, with multiple fish over 4 lbs. and a few over 5.

Best advice would be to slow down and take your time. Stick to the basics, as @Mitz said.

Sometimes we can over-complicate things and make matters worse by switching things up too frequently.
Brutally Honest Fishing Tackle Reviews at TackleTest.com

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +13/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 11:43:25 AM »
I'm with curt, my year has been going real good. The one thing i do notice is the the varied weather we've had has kept them confused. The lack of consecutive warm summer days has kept them in between patterns. I don't think they are locked on to a full blown summer pattern, although this weeks temps may help. Try mixing it up and do something different. If your not getting 10 fish each day try some new ponds. My advice is to fish overcast or windy days when fish will be more likely to feed.   
Owner, Toad Hunter Spinnerbaits

Offline Eric-Maine

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +40/-0
  • I love NorthEast Bass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 11:47:11 AM »
It has been tough the last few weeks; post spawn with a full moon. It should get better. Big fish move up in the afternoon. In the summer for largemouth, I start out and move in as the day gets hotter. Throwing at targets......docks, rocks, wood, weeds and my very favorite pontoon boats  ;D . You are throwing the right baits. With jigs and senko type baits less is more (movement that is) When you get these baits tight or under cover, sleep it a bit. Watch your line......the bite has been very light lately. Sometimes fish pick your bait up and not move at all.

Offline edoubleu

• Shiner
  • Applause: +3/-0
  • THIS is my last cast
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 7.25 lbs (LMB) in South Carolina
  • My Boat: 1995 14' Sundance (panfish-style w/stick-steer); 25hp Evinrude
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 12:40:50 PM »
I had the same problem a few years ago. Nothing was working with my usual 'comfortable' presentations. Last year I forced myself to SLOW DOWN my presentation and really learn to work plastics, especially creature baits. I would work every piece of structure, drop-off, etc. It paid off with the quality of fish more then quantity. Which is what I wanted to improve. This year I did the same thing but I started using a dropshot rig...almost exclusively so far. It's been working out great! I've been fishing deeper drop-offs and any deep water structure.
It feels great when your usual fishing lake, that you've had problems hooking fish consistently on, starts to produce again!

Good luck

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +70/-0
  • Work to fish. Until I can Fish for work!
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 04 Tracker Avalanche, 115 Mercury
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 07:12:44 PM »
Hey @HLF_Team you should jump in our Thursday night league we fish Echo Lake, Wilson's Res, Slattersville, Bowdish and a few more up there. 5pm - 9pm Team $30 a boat include lunker. Good group of guys and always learning something new or what I should have done...  (giggle)

Let me know if you want more info.

-Mitz

Offline BeaverBass

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 06:31:27 PM »
Sorry to hear about the bum season so many folks seem to be having this year.  That really does seem to be the case for a lot of people this year.  Ive been doing quite well so far this year, the only change for some reason, and its probably just random, but it seems for me, ( and i love fishing puddle deep water) , that this year im having  much more luck in the 10-15ft range, under suface cover, than I ever did before throwing the same baits at the same time of year at the same times of day.  Also the evening bite really hasnt been turning on until about 8:20 for me the last two weekend. Heres two from the weekend. The smallie was out of the Housy above Falls village,  I caught a few very impressive rock bass, and a few dinks.  The largemouth was out of Warramaug (probably spelt that wrong).  When the bite gets tough I've been very consistent with the Ned rig.

Offline HoleHunters

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 08:50:45 PM »
I went to Indian Lake an killed it !! Love that lake will deff be going back again and again. I wi continue hitting southern lakes from now on. Thanks guys for all of your help and suggestions.

Offline Curt - NC

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 10:58:53 AM »
@BeaverBass Nice fish! Glad to hear you're having a great year  ;D

@HLF_Team Indian Lake is tough to beat. Great fishery for sure. You might also want to try Watchaug and Wordens. Both great fisheries also.
Brutally Honest Fishing Tackle Reviews at TackleTest.com

Offline BeaverBass

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 08:36:31 AM »
Is that Indian lake on the NY. Border?  If so, where's the launch for that? Is it on the NY side? I didn't see a state launch on the ct DEEP map.  I fish Mudge pond a lot, but never drove up the road to Indian.