Author Topic: Baitcaster Reels  (Read 3544 times)

Offline Patrick

• Shiner
  • Applause: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 2015 Ranger RT 178 with 75 HP
Baitcaster Reels
« on: April 01, 2015, 10:46:01 AM »
So I've purchased and tried baitcasters a couple of times over the last 8 years or so. Been using spincasters my entire life. Purchased combos before, not overly exspensive but not the cheapest. Always had problems to the point of discouragement (backlashes) that I traded them or sold them. Do I need to spend descent mony on a good reel to be succesful? Say an Abu Garcia Revo S or better?
Do you think there is an advantage to baitcasters over spincasters for say tournament fishing?

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
Re: Baitcaster Reels
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 10:58:27 AM »
No need to spend for a top dollar reel. Start with the cheaper Abu's, like the Black Max.

If you set the braking and spool tension to the lure your using you will have better success!  Most anglers new to baitcasting tend to try cast to hard, just let the lure take the line out, don't force it. And start with heavier lures as they tend to cast easier and you'll gain confidence in your casting 8) 

As for an advantage? can't say but i use both casting and spinning, mostly casting!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 12:19:31 PM »
@Patrick Joe is right. You don't need to spend big money to get started. And the Black Max reel is an excellent starter reel.

The biggest mistake most new baitcaster users make is to try to cast too hard. You're used to whipping the bait out there with a spinning rod. That's the worst thing you can do with a baitcaster when you're learning.

Start out with a heavy lure, say a 1/2 oz. jig. Hold the rod in front of you at about 2 O'clock. Press the release on the reel and check to see if the lure will free fall toward the ground. If it does, stop it with your thumb and re-engage the reel.

Tighten the brake until you can disengage the reel and the lure pretty much hangs there without falling, or only falls just slightly.

Now start by making some sidearm lobs and try to get used to that motion. You won't get much distance, but you also won't get any backlashes.

Gradually back off on the brakes until you can lob it side armed and get a reasonable distance when you cast. And just take it from there, making very small adjustments as you get more comfortable with using the reel.

If you follow these instructions, you'll grow to like your baitcasters and use them more and more frequently.

Hope this helps  ;)

Offline RAYZCT

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +22/-0
  • Hawg Forum Rod Building Guru
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 6lb 5 oz LMB 5lb 6 oz SMB
  • My Boat: Tracker 170 25hp 4 stroke
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 12:43:03 PM »
For an overhand cast, start at 2 o'clock and stop at 10 o'clock and cast like you are trying to throw over a high wall after adjusting the brake as suggested above.  These are instructions given to me by a Florida pro and they work.
Z-Man Custom Rods & Rod Repair

Offline akdov823

• Guppy
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 06:39:36 PM »
I disagree to some degree,  even cheap ones are OK with a heavy weight and the brakes turned up,  but when it comes down to it you get what you pay for.  Every now and then I'll I have small tangle with the one cheap one I have.  The quality ones are so effortless its ridiculous.  I'll never by a cheap bait caster again.  Also I talked my buddy into starting with curado and he picked it up wicked fast.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 08:11:58 PM »
@akdov823 I understand where you're coming from completely. But some people just never learn to like baitcasters, so that's why I recommended the Black Max.

Now, with that said, I wouldn't recommend someone buy a junk baitcaster to learn with. I have 3 of the Black Max reels myself and know that they're a great reel for the price. They cast really well for a budget reel.

But... my favorite baitcaster by far is the Curado 200 E7. For the money, you can't buy a better reel.

Offline akdov823

• Guppy
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 08:16:47 PM »
I love my curados also, also I just picked up a chronarch ci4 and I'm in love

Offline RAYZCT

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 08:49:08 PM »
I started with Black Maxes, traditional round then palm style with little success, bit the bullet and went to a Curado and have never turned back.   I even have two Shimano Japanese Scorpions.  If you are really serious about baitcasting, like Joe, I would start with the Curado, even if you ended up not wanting to stay with the baitcaster, you could probably get 75% of your money back on the Curado.  Size can also make a difference, like Curt I have a couple of 200s but my Scorpions and one other Curado are the 100 size.  200 for fishing heavier lures & line in gnarly structure and the others for open water plugging or plastics.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 09:37:43 AM »
Just as a point of reference regarding how much I love baitcasters vs. spinning reels, I have around 15 rod & reel setups on my boat at all times. Only 3 of them are spinning rods/reels  (giggle)

Offline 190SCR

• Smallmouth Bass
  • The scale never lies, but yours might be broken.
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: Champion 190SCR Mercury 3 Liter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 09:53:28 AM »
Bait casters are in my hand 90% of the time I'm on the water fishing. Learned how to use one 35 years ago and did it on my own. Nobody in my neighborhood had one, and I couldn't get one in my hands fast enough when I found out they existed. Wasn't a tuff learning curve if I remember correctly, adjusting the spool tension for the line and bait size was all you needed. When I first started tournament fishing I had a half dozen Abu Garcia 5500's, they served me well back then.
I have more bait casters in the boat also, 9 bait casting, 6 spinning and 2 fly rods.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 09:56:42 AM »
did it on my own. Nobody in my neighborhood had one, and I couldn't get one in my hands fast enough when I found out they existed. Wasn't a tuff learning curve if I remember correctly, adjusting the spool tension for the line and bait size was all you needed.

Same here. Bought my first one back in 1989 and never looked back.

Toughed it out in my backyard, learning how to cast it. Very first cast was a disaster, but it taught me a lot of what I needed to know about what not to do  (giggle)

After that, I bought several more baitcasters and kept adding on each year, as the budget allowed.

Offline Patrick

• Shiner
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 2015 Ranger RT 178 with 75 HP
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 12:29:39 PM »
I'm a firm believer of "you get what you pay for" and I don't mind spending money on something of quality. Been thinking of the Abu Garcia Revo S or the Shimano Curado paired up with an Abu GArcia Veritas rod. I have a couple of the Abu Garcia Veritas spinning rods and I like them.

So...... now that I've decided to jump into the baitcasting world, does anyone have opinions on the micro guides over standard guides?

And thank you all for your input.

Offline RAYZCT

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 01:18:13 PM »
As a rod builder, all new rods are built with smaller than "standard" guides, if the build calls for micro, then micro they will be.  What you need for running guides are the smallest that will pass the largest knot you may use on your line, if you use knots.  You want the lighest weight on the business end of the rod, makes the rod more sensitive and responsive (longer casts).  Small guides themselves are one part of the equation, proper placement also plays a significant role.