Author Topic: Ranger RT 178  (Read 9467 times)

Offline Patrick

• Shiner
  • Applause: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 2015 Ranger RT 178 with 75 HP
Ranger RT 178
« on: March 04, 2015, 06:31:16 AM »
I'm going to check out the RT 178 next Saturday at Reynold's marine in Lyme, CT. Pretty sure I will be giving them a deposit. Been researching new tin boats for a year now. Has the 60 four stroke and upgraded trolling motor (70). I can hardly wait!

Do you think they are overpriced? Paying for the "Ranger" name? For the $1000 or 2000 more, I think the little extra things are worth it. I like the idea of the foam filled hull.

Offline 190SCR

• Smallmouth Bass
  • The scale never lies, but yours might be broken.
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: Champion 190SCR Mercury 3 Liter
Re: Ranger RT 178
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 08:13:57 AM »
Have you looked at one of these....http://www.g3boats.com/sportsman-17

I have no idea what they cost compared to a Ranger but I have always thought Rangers were overpriced in general.

If I was going to spend nearly $20 g's on a bass boat I would look for a used glass boat that you can get much more for your buck.
Here's a nice one....http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/4841335512.html

There's $14,000 sitting just on the back of that rig!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:25:50 AM by 190SCR »

Offline Patrick

• Shiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 08:43:08 AM »
Thought about going the used boat route. Could get more for my buck. Didn't want to go much bigger on the boat or motor. Something to get me into a few tournaments and fish most of the bodies of water I fish now. This is a move from my Sylvan 14" deep V with a Johnson 9.9. Kinda wanted to go new. New is nice  ;D.
I've looked at the Trackers, and Crestliners. Will compare when I go see the RT 178.

Will look at the G3's if I get a chance.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 10:03:51 AM »
I looked real hard at that boat last year and came close to buying, really nice boat!  if it was me though i would opt for the 75 on it, a 60 just seems small for a boat that size :-\

They are not cheap but worth the money IMO!

Offline Eric-Maine

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +40/-0
  • I love NorthEast Bass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 10:07:17 AM »
Reynolds is one of the best. Don't confine yourself to whats in stock. Get what you want rigged the way you want it. My first boat was a mistake that I lived with for a long time.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 12:34:16 PM »

Reynolds is one of the best. Don't confine yourself to whats in stock. Get what you want rigged the way you want it. My first boat was a mistake that I lived with for a long time.

I bought my G3 from Reynolds. They were good to work with and I would buy from them again. Sadly, they don't sell G3 there any longer. I haven't looked at the Rangers, so I can't vouch for them. But I do know G3 builds a heck of a boat, with a ton of value for the money.

And @Eric-Maine is right when it comes to making sure you get what you want, not just what's in stock. Buy the biggest outboard and the biggest TM you can afford. You won't regret it.

Offline groti

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +33/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 10:28:56 AM »
I know the glass rangers are over priced don't know about their Aluminum series. Reynolds are reputable dealers. I would go with a 80 or better on the trolling motor, I had a 70 on my 16' tin boat and it wasn't enough for me. Better too much than not enough.
Men and fish are alike, they both get in trouble when they open their mouths...

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 11:57:12 AM »
@groti is right. And like I mentioned previously, do whatever upgrades you can afford to do. It's easier to do them now than after you buy the boat.

Offline 190SCR

• Smallmouth Bass
  • The scale never lies, but yours might be broken.
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: Champion 190SCR Mercury 3 Liter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 09:33:40 PM »
Just incase you want to save a bunch of money.....http://albany.craigslist.org/bod/4899727200.html

Offline kp1267

• Guppy
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 08:34:19 PM »
Patrick what did you end up getting?  I went with the tracker pt 175 twx

Offline akdov823

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 07:51:56 PM »
I have the pro team 175 txw too, I love it.  Granted I'm trading it in for a z8 at the end of the year, but for right now its perfect.

Offline kp1267

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 07:59:12 PM »
Wow z8 nice. I have a few more years till the kids are out of college but then who knows.
Best of luck

Offline akdov823

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 08:01:10 PM »
No kids yet, that's why I figure I better get it quick before I can't convince the old lady.

Offline Patrick

• Shiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 04:27:35 PM »
Just incase you want to save a bunch of money.....http://albany.craigslist.org/bod/4899727200.html

So, yeah! This might be worth the ride to check out. Called and they are going to send me a little more info on it. I trust Curt could give me his impression on this boat.  ;)

I like the idea of a 150 on an aluminum boat. Hadn't been down to see the Ranger yet, but I will soon.

I appreciate all the info from you guys. Being my first "bass" boat, I want something I'll be happy with for a few years and get a chance to fish some tournaments with.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 04:56:06 PM »
So, yeah! This might be worth the ride to check out. Called and they are going to send me a little more info on it. I trust Curt could give me his impression on this boat.  ;)

I like the idea of a 150 on an aluminum boat. Hadn't been down to see the Ranger yet, but I will soon.

I appreciate all the info from you guys. Being my first "bass" boat, I want something I'll be happy with for a few years and get a chance to fish some tournaments with.

@Patrick, The G3 HP180 is an awesome boat. That one's 2 years older than mine, so I don't believe it will have the hydraulic steering. It also may not have a few other perks, like livewell pump outs, automatic bilge pump, etc. But it's still an awesome boat.

It looks like the former owner cut the front deck and installed a recessed foot pedal for the trolling motor. HP does not recommend doing this because there are tubular or structural supports under the front deck that need to be intact to support the weight of the anger and maintain the structural integrity of the front deck.

Now, that would apply only if the boat has all-aluminum decks, which mine has. Maybe the older models don't have that? But either way, if you do go to look at it, be sure to stand on the front deck and put your weight on the deck all around that recessed tray, and make sure there is no give or play in the deck when you step on it.

Have the dealer run a compression test on the outboard, while you're there! Make sure the compression is pretty even across all 6 cylinders. Check the tires on the trailer for cracks or dry rot on the sidewalls. Check under the trailer frame for rust. And check to make sure the trailer lights all work. I had a problem with my tail lights and brake lights due to a problem with the removable trailer tongue.

Check the prop for dings and or cracks and take a good look at the skeg to make sure it hasn't hit anything and had chunks taken out of it. It's hard to tell in the pics, but it looks like it actually has an aluminum prop on it. That shouldn't be the case. That alone will knock a couple hundred $$ off the price.

Test all of the pumps and make sure they turn on. Basically, go through it with a fine-tooth comb.

And then when you're done, if you like the boat, talk them down on the price. What they're asking isn't terrible, but I know they can do better. If they refuse to budge, walk away. If they want to sell it badly enough, they will work with you.

And finally, if you're looking for financing, contact Ken or Todd at Rec Lending (www.reclending.com). Tell them I sent you. They will take very good care of you when it comes to getting you into the boat, if you need any financing help.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:57:39 PM by Curt - RI »