Author Topic: All Star Titanium Rod vs Rogue Rod  (Read 1929 times)

Offline cuao007

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
    • View Profile
All Star Titanium Rod vs Rogue Rod
« on: February 18, 2013, 02:17:11 PM »
Hello everybody!  I am very new to bass fishing and am very excited to start my first foray into it this spring.  A couple questions for all you bass experts.  There are two rods I am looking at. One is a brand new All Star Platinum made in USA, is 5-6 years old but kept nicely in storage. I'm told it is rare because this brand is no longer bade in USA. 6.6 Ft, Fast-Moderate Action.  The other is a Rogue also made in USA, 6ft and same specs.  I'm told these are great rods for bass and about $100 each.

I would appreciate any feedback on how good these are and if they are worth the asking price.  Any info would be great.

Also, any advice on jigging with soft baits vs. lures like Rapalas.

I do catch and release mainly with deep sea, salmon and steelhead but would like to get into bass.

Thanks again.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: All Star Titanium Rod vs Rogue Rod
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 02:34:08 PM »
Welcome to the site!

My experience with All Star rods has been decent, but one thing I've noticed, at least with my All Star rods, is that they tend to be a little stiffer than other rods of the same rating, so be sure you're getting the desired action, regardless of what price you pay for it.

I haven't had any experience with Rogue rods, so I can't vouch for them at all.

The best way to learn any of the baits you mentioned is to spend lots of time on the water with them. Soft plastics and jigs can be worked so many different ways. They are extremely versatile.

Rapalas and similar baits are also versatile, but not so much as the soft plastics and jigs. Try experimenting with different retrieve speeds, or even types of retrieves (steady retrieve vs. stop and go, etc.).

Conditions change every day, and sometimes several times within a single day, so the very best thing you can do is learn versatility and make that a strong point in your skill set :)

Offline cuao007

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 02:50:06 PM »
Thank you so much for the info.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »
You're welcome :)

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're here to help you learn.

You might also want to go through and read some of the older posts. There's a wealth of knowledge sitting here to be absorbed  ;D

Offline cuao007

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 03:20:22 PM »
Absolutely!

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 04:28:12 PM »
100 seems a little high for a 6 year old rod! You could probably get a decent rod for a lot less. Go to few stores to see how they feel in your hand 8)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:20:25 PM by Joe P »

Offline groti

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +33/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 05:36:49 PM »
Where did you find the Rogue Rod? There were no dealers left in New England last I knew. MSRP on the Rogue is about $150.00 new. Rogue are comparable to a G loomis IMX or GLX at half the price. Bobby Loomis was the chief designer for Rogue after he left  the Loomis factory. I was sponsored by Rogue for almost 10 years till the economy crashed, they make a great rod.
Men and fish are alike, they both get in trouble when they open their mouths...