Author Topic: I don't know what to do guys.  (Read 5598 times)

Offline Alex - RI

• Guppy
  • Applause: +1/-0
    • View Profile
I don't know what to do guys.
« on: April 04, 2011, 01:02:09 PM »
I am sorry if this is the wrong spot but I don't know where else to post it.

When I moved in to where I am living now the beautiful pond a short walk through the woods from my back yard was a HUGE plus.  On the other side of the pond there were fire pits with beer cans littered around the area.  About a year and a half ago some new people moved in up the street and since then, the trees and shrubs along the edge on my side of the pond have been cut and destroyed, litter from beer cans and bottles to snelled hook wrappers and old fishing line is everwhere and graffiti on the old pump house.  I know the kid that moved in is responsible for destroying the trees and I am willing to bet some of the beer cans are from his father.  If I catch the kid in the act or the father tossing a beer can I am going to be on the phone with DEM and the local police.  Until then, what can I do?  I have thought about trying to get some "carry out what you carry in" signs from dem hoping that the people will see that DEM is taking an interest in the area.  Besides that, what are my options?  Trying to keep things somewhat legal but I am quickly getting fed up.

Offline UglyFishinStick

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +4/-0
  • Gotta grunt on the hookset
    • View Profile
Re: I don't know what to do guys.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
Unfortunatly there isnt much you can do, people like that will generally ignore the signs you put up, all you can do is call the cops if you catch them in the act
"<{{{>< Fish For Life ><}}}>"

Msg me on skype or txt plus if your looking for a fishing partner on the North Shore, MA or in the lakes region in NH
Txt plus: (660) 655-4039

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 01:16:39 PM »
One thing that caught my eye is that they have taken down trees and bushes along the water. This is blatantly illegal!!

DEM enforces laws with regard to clearing trees or brush along shorelines. Give their enforcement people a call and let them know what you've seen. At least at this point there will be something on record about it, so there will be a point of reference for future incidents.

Just my $.02 worth.

Offline Alex - RI

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 01:22:51 PM »
Thanks Curt, that is what I will do.  The kid also cut some small pine trees on the other side of the pond leaving 4' tall stumps which isn't only dangerous but also illegal.

Offline Pat_RI

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +33/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 01:26:49 PM »
buy a cheap game camera and put it up on a tree and catch them in the act.
I fish therefore I lie.

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +70/-0
  • Work to fish. Until I can Fish for work!
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 04 Tracker Avalanche, 115 Mercury
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 01:32:18 PM »
Install an alligator pit with a trap door!

That does stink! I had a problem house down from mine for a few years, the cops were there every weekend. It sucks having to worry about whats going to happen next.

I think Curt is right starting with DEM might be the way to go.

Mitz

Offline Alex - RI

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 01:42:56 PM »
I actually did think about installing a game camera.  I also thought about a pit across the pond for the under age drinkers.  I will start with DEM and take it from there. 

The other thing about these people, is they live on a public right of way that has a gate which goes back to the pond.  You ARE allowed to park in front of the gate yet I have heard that the guy threatens to call the cops on people and people worry about him doing damage to their cars.  Enough is enough.

Offline Matt L

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 01:55:02 PM »
Alex I know the area and that is a complete shame.  >:( There is absolutely no excuse for taking such an awesome fishing area like that and ruining it. That Public right of way is not in front of anyones driveway so there is no reason why they would freak out like that. I plan on hitting that within the next couple weeks with my boys and I hope there is no trouble. If there is at least I know the police station is right up the road.

As everyone suggests, I would go with DEM and then local enforcement for the drinking and partying.

Don't let that stinking bass get away!!!!!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 02:57:20 PM »
Let us know how it goes Alex ;)

Offline Alex - RI

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 03:24:32 PM »
Matt, shoot me a PM for my address if you want to just park in my yard.  It is right before that public right of way and the walk back isn't much further at all.  I am going to give DEM a call tomorrow because I have no phone signal where I am now but I will let you guys know what they say.

Offline Matt L

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 03:49:35 PM »
Alex, will do and thanks a bunch! I am going to go on April 15th for sure... (unless it is a complete downpour which is not good for a canoe) I will shoot you a message prior.

Don't let that stinking bass get away!!!!!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 05:05:28 PM »
Sounds good Alex. Hopefully they'll at least be concerned and want to take a look.

Offline bless

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +12/-8
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 07:35:33 PM »
I hope you're not talking about one of the places I frequent often.  It sounds eerily familiar. 

Offline Alex - RI

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 12:52:58 AM »
Bless, shoot me a PM with a general area of where you're thinking and I will let you know.

Offline bassamatic

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +30/-0
  • Hawgs eat frogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 10:11:05 AM »
we can see if a deal can be made to help us both and i will be happy to help u solve this issue.where in general r u?and do u care about these other folks?a little southern justice goes along way to makein good neighbors. :-X
my opinions r my own and should not be taken as those of this site or its members.