Author Topic: Crappie Fishing  (Read 2925 times)

lexbassbuzzin

Crappie Fishing
« on: January 28, 2011, 04:36:42 PM »
If anyone on this site does any crappie fishing, what would you recommend for lures? I would like to give it a try this year, so any insight would be helpful.

Thanks all.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
Re: Crappie Fishing
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 04:45:42 PM »
In the spring when they are on the shorelines i do well small spinners, grubs or rapala type baits. In the summer fall when they school up deeper i vertical jig grubs or finesse worms. This is when you find them of course...

lexbassbuzzin

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 04:52:31 PM »
Thanks Joe.

Do they spawn before bass or after and during the summer and fall do the tend to suspend more or hug the bottom?

It sounds like the share the same charateristics as bass, except for maybe the schooling part.

Sorry about all the noob questions.

Offline Eric-Maine

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +40/-0
  • I love NorthEast Bass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 06:26:32 PM »
Catch quite a few in the spring on my slender pointer.

I used to target them a lot in the fall when my kids were young. Crappie feed up so baits up in the water column do better like a suspended jerkbait or a grub or roadrunner reeled slowly a foot or two beneath the surface. They love wood and low light. My kids used to kick my butt with a small grub under a bobber until I learned that they fed differently than bass. Scent and color seem to be more important with crappie. I believe that they spawn in and around wood.

Offline flippy

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 09:00:13 PM »
John, crappie spawn right at ice out, well before bass,  I get them on mister twister 2 1/2 inch sassy shad with a 1/8 once jighead, they school, so once you find them pound that area, if you have a favorite lake, drag a couple trees out on the ice and wait till spring, it will be worth the work of getting the trees out there, people that I know that live on lakes with crappie throw trees in front of there docks, and then later in the season its a bass magnet ;D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:07:02 PM by flippy »

lexbassbuzzin

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 07:39:22 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys. Some really good tips right there. Eric, I think I'll have to bring some grubs and a bobber for when my son comes with me, thanks for sharing that.

Offline bassamatic

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +30/-0
  • Hawgs eat frogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 12:50:20 PM »
John, crappie spawn right at ice out, well before bass,  I get them on mister twister 2 1/2 inch sassy shad with a 1/8 once jighead, they school, so once you find them pound that area, if you have a favorite lake, drag a couple trees out on the ice and wait till spring, it will be worth the work of getting the trees out there, people that I know that live on lakes with crappie throw trees in front of there docks, and then later in the season its a bass magnet ;D

u don't want to get caught draggin wood on lakes in CT,the charge is illegal dumping.they do not spawn at iceout.they r very close to bass in water temp when it come to the spawn.that being said some years they will spawn in much colder temps due to changes in weather and moon.i understand not everyone be lives in the moon theory but that's up to u.
my opinions r my own and should not be taken as those of this site or its members.