Author Topic: Quinebaug River  (Read 6142 times)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Quinebaug River
« on: October 24, 2010, 09:18:22 AM »
Bob W and I fished the Quinny yesterday for the very first time.

We launched from the small launch in the cove downstream from the Butts Bridge area. This was primarily because it was the ramp that we could find the quickest, being unfamiliar with the area.

It was also my first day on the water with my new Humminbird 788Ci Fishfinder/GPS, so I was in trial mode in more ways than one!

We got on the water pretty late... somewhere around 11:15 - 11:30 AM and headed out to check things out. We fished until somewhere around 4 PM.

Water temp ranged from 43 - 48, depending on where we were.

We ran into a couple others out there and talked to them and they were having a tough time of it, so I didn't feel to bad that I had already landed 1 bass.. a LMB about 2 lbs.

We basically just covered water, trying to get a feel for the place. It was a whole lot of water to be looking at!!

All in all, we did OK. Bob had 3 LMBs and I had 1 LMB and a 3+ lb. smallie. All of our fish were caught on spinnerbaits.

Still a lot of water left to explore, so we hope to go back next weekend and head further upstream in search of more smallies  ;D

The new Humminbird was a great addition to my boat. I don't have the maps card yet. I hope to order it soon, but just having a GPS on board that isn't handheld is a big plus. And the resolution of the screen is awesome.

Oh, and wow... those chains hanging down from Butts Bridge  :o  I can't even imagine some poor person not knowing they're there and running under the bridge on plane  :'(

About 15 or more years ago I had checked out the very lower end, in Aspinook Pond, but never got very far upstream because of the navigation hazards in the lower end, but I'm glad to be getting there now and learning more about it.

Oh, and next time we plan on trying to find the other ramp and launching from there.

Offline TinyTim

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Quinebaug River
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 10:37:54 AM »
Sounds like a fun new adventure, glad ya like the new GPS/FF. :)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 10:59:42 AM »
Thanks Tim!

Offline K2

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 6.3 LMB RI--3.5 SMB NH
  • My Boat: 1990 BassCat Pantera 2 w/2003 Johnson 175
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 06:11:21 PM »
Your going love that Humminbird. I have the the 798CSi and can't imagine fishing without it.
There's a lot of good water upstream but you definately need to watch out for the rocks up there. As I came across them I marked them on the GPS so I can navigate though them quickly next time.

We fished at Amos this weekend and completely bombed. Saw three or four 5lb+ LMB following but couldn't get them to take it. I guess there was a lot of that this weekend.

Offline Bob W - RI

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +96/-0
  • Get the NET !!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 7.19 lb LMB. Amos Lake, CT 2014
  • My Boat: Bass Tracker PT175
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 06:38:25 PM »
  Yea, We has a good time. Weather was nice and learned alot about the place. Nothing like finding learning a new lake to fish. Just one more option for next year! We will be back maybe next week. Curt, post the picture of your SMB.

Bob W.
Snack Time !     Get the Net !  ><((((º>

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 07:56:37 PM »
Here's the 3+ lb. Smallie

The fish looks smaller than it was because it kept curling it's tail up. I've noticed that fish tend to do this more when it's cold, for some odd reason  :o

Offline Rob W

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +32/-0
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 01:54:14 PM »
Nice smallie Curt. If you turn around and try skipping a tube or lizard up under those overhanging trees behind you you might catch a few. Been away for a while, living in FL now but it good to check up on you guys up there.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 09:30:46 PM »
Thanks for the info Rob! Glad to have you back here with us :)

Offline Rob W

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +32/-0
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 11:37:06 AM »
It's good to be checking out the site again. Sometimes I'd wonder how the fishing was up your way, especially this time of year when the weather changes.  I'll have to start taking some pics down here so I can try to make you guys a little jealous.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 12:15:52 PM »
Some pics would be great Rob!

Offline bassaddict 21

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 02:39:55 PM »
nice smallie! i just started fishing there at the end of this past summer spacificaly for smallies and its great for them. me and my brother had a mini two boat tourney there the first time we went and i caught about 15 smallies and had a 10+lb 5 fish bag. i cant wait to go back in the spring! heres a pick of me from that day.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 03:18:38 PM »
Nice fish! Thanks for posting them.

And welcome to the site... glad to have you here :)

Offline bassaddict 21

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 04:14:16 PM »
no problem! I am a member of a few other fishing sites and i enjoy posting and reading other reports. It is a good way to learn and give information on different local body's of water.  ;D