Author Topic: St. Croix American hand crafted rods...MADE IN MEXICO!!!?  (Read 10407 times)

Offline Alex - RI

• Guppy
  • Applause: +1/-0
    • View Profile
St. Croix American hand crafted rods...MADE IN MEXICO!!!?
« on: August 03, 2010, 01:08:59 AM »
So, I am a big fan and was really excited when I first saw the St. Croix Mojo Bass rods.  I picked one up tonight and was kind of bummed when I found out its country or origin is Mexico.  I am a big fan of American made so now I am having my doubts if the rod is worth the $100.  What is every ones opinion?  I fished it at Curran tonight around 11pm and do love the feel of it.  If I end up keeping it I think I will eventually end up with at least a few of them.

Offline bless

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +12/-8
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
Re: St. Croix American hand crafted rods...MADE IN MEXICO!!!?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 08:41:23 AM »
upper curran?  howd ya do?

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 08:49:20 AM »
I bought a Mojo Bass rod in the early Spring. I use it mainly for jig fishing. I haven't used it a lot yet, but when I have used it, it has performed well. It seems to be quite sensitive and it's definitely light. I guess time will be the ultimate test for it.

Offline RAYZCT

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +22/-0
  • Hawg Forum Rod Building Guru
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 6lb 5 oz LMB 5lb 6 oz SMB
  • My Boat: Tracker 170 25hp 4 stroke
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 12:19:57 PM »
Go to the St. Croix web site for their story on the rods made in Mexico.  I believe they are designed in the US and the mandrels are also made in the US, it's assembly that is done in Mexico in a St. Croix sister plant, not an out sourcing company.
Z-Man Custom Rods & Rod Repair

Offline groti

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +33/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 06:39:09 PM »
I bought a spinning rod last year, it only cost me $50.00 at PBS with points rewards and a coupon from St Croix. Not bad for the money even at $100.00. I do a lot of finesse fishing and I did find it not as sensitive as as there higher end rods of my Rogue or Loomis rods.
Men and fish are alike, they both get in trouble when they open their mouths...

Offline Alex - RI

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 06:47:22 PM »
I will keep it, I will definitely have to read about them though thanks for that info.  I fished "upper Curran" (there is no lower) and got 3 bass back to back but darn were they small.  I have never landed anything decent in there.  All were on a black spinner.

lexbassbuzzin

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 07:55:14 PM »
They've been doing that for a couple of years now. Ray you're right, just the assembly is done over there. Cheaper labor.

Offline Alex - RI

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 08:13:15 PM »
How is it cheaper?  The family members of the ones that work at the Mexico facility are probably the ones building the rods in North America for the same price. :-X

Offline RAYZCT

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 08:26:41 PM »
The St. Croix US plant is in Park Falls, MN, a little cool for native Mexicans and lots of rivers to swim across.  St. Croix needs to build a rod at a lower price point to meet some of the competition and the only way they can do it is by reducing the cost.  Material is the same regardless of the country, the lower labor cost in Mexico is the answer.  They had the Triumphs made in China and quality suffered.  St. Croix owns and runs the plant in Mexico, thus the better quality.

Offline bless

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +12/-8
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 06:01:33 AM »
I will keep it, I will definitely have to read about them though thanks for that info.  I fished "upper Curran" (there is no lower) and got 3 bass back to back but darn were they small.  I have never landed anything decent in there.  All were on a black spinner.

I agree, there is def not a lower curran.  just checking.

Offline Eric-Maine

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +40/-0
  • I love NorthEast Bass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 08:53:50 AM »
There is something to be said for employing Mexicans IN Mexico

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 10:19:05 AM »
There is something to be said for employing Mexicans IN Mexico

;D

Offline groti

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 05:57:31 PM »
One of my sponsors is Snowbee USA, they are mainly a high end flyfishing manufacturer out of England. Their clothing line is made in Taiwan in a plant they own which is a subdivision of Snowbee UK. It's made to their standards with their employees and made a lot cheaper then in the UK or USA with just TAXES ALONE!!!! It's less for them to pay an excise tax to import them, then pay income, property, payroll taxes ect. Cabelas Guide Wear (fowl weather gear)is actually Snowbee rain gear with the Cabelas brand on it in only different colors then Snowbee's Rain Gear.  We just can't compete with them for cost effectiveness. I Know two owners of big salt water tackle manufacturers and all their products are made in China, assembled in the USA but made in China, if it wasn't for that, they wouldn't be in business because their product prices would be too high if made here. There are a lot of things we've out-priced ourselves out of making here.

There are only 4 or 5 rod manafufactures that make their blanks and assemble here today, everybody else's are made offshore. Even Loomis is made in Japan now since Shimano bought them out. Soon as the sale was over they moved the company to Japan.

Offline RAYZCT

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 08:29:57 PM »
I'd check on your Loomis information, to the best of my knowledge from the time I spend on rod building sites, Loomis rods are still made in Washington state.  In fact, Gary Loomis stayed on for a few years with Shimano as a consultant.  Loomis no longer makes rod blanks for the custom rod building community as it was just a minute % of their business and inteferred with their regular rod building process.

Offline groti

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 08:19:10 AM »
Rayz you seem to be correct that Loomis stayed in the USA. After Gary sold Loomis, his cousin Bobby Loomis came over to Rogue Rods to design for them and at that time (somewhere about 1999-2001)Bob said he left because the plant was moving to Japan. Also the reason Gary sold  Loomis was because Gary was told that he had a terminal illness which I guess didn't become terminal after all.