Author Topic: Black Lake, NY  (Read 2848 times)

Offline HawgBone

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Black Lake, NY
« on: July 31, 2010, 10:03:09 PM »
Just got back from a trip to Black Lake, Ny. It was some tough fishing! The lake has just turned over a day or two before we got there, and the water was green. Visibility was definitely the issue, and then the wind came. Makes me want to get a glass boat, getting blown all of the place. Our normal spots just weren't producing because of the turn over, we found some new spots and eventually found the fish hanging off of rock points. Got into some good smallie action, but were still looking for ol' bucketmouth. After the first couple days we started using buzzbaits, trying to make some noise since visibility was so poor, we caught alot of good fish off of the buzzbait. Overall it was a very tough week, but it was a fun time with family and friends, just can't beat it!

We saw a guy drop shotting a wacky-rigged senko, it looked like a very interesting set-up I'm just not sure if it would work. Isn't wacky rigging based on the slow fall of that worm? I'm just really curious about this now and was wondering if anyone had any answers for me.
HawgBone Lure Co.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Black Lake, NY
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 11:34:18 PM »
Glad you finally got on some fish!

As for the lake turning over, that typically doesn't happen until mid-fall, when the water temps drop.

The green was probably due to high water temps and some kind of algae bloom. I fished Amos Lake in CT last night and it was also green. That lake does this almost every year... especially during summers that are especially warm or lack any serious rainfall.

As for the wacky rig dropshot, you're right... the wacky rig is usually chosen for it's action on the fall, but maybe this guy tried it and it worked for him. Might be his secret weapon  ;)

Offline HawgBone

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 09:21:13 AM »
We were told by our camp owner when we got there that it had turned over, he said it typically doesn't happen until mid-fall too. Some of the bays we fished were stained brown, like coffee brown. Is that part of a turnover too?
HawgBone Lure Co.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 01:19:12 PM »
Turn over absolutely can't happen until the water temps drop. The surface temp drops, and because the temp drops, the surface water sinks and mixes with the cooler water that's deeper, which causes that water to warm up and rise.... thus the phrase "turn over".

When this happens there will typically be debris such as old dead leaves and other decayed matter from the lake bottom that will make its way up the water column and be visible in the water. The water will also sometimes have a stale smell to it.

What was being experienced at Black Lake sounds more like some conditions triggered by extreme heat and lack of rain, in my opinion.

This will also make for a tough bite, unless you find areas that are being wind-blown or have some other type of current effecting them.

Offline HawgBone

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 01:26:42 PM »
I understand what you're saying now, sorry it took me a little while haha. The bite was definitely a tough one, we did get a couple nice bass but they were all pretty much caught on buzzbaits. I think visibility was definitely a problem, because when we did get hits they were aggresive, just didn't get them too often.
HawgBone Lure Co.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 01:29:57 PM »
No need to apologize! We're all here to learn from each other ;)

At least you were able to get a few of them to bite!

Offline Jerryinct

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +5/-0
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 03:21:48 AM »
Good job getting them to bite.